If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR 72xx 2-8-2 7202

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by wavodavo, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

drinking tea in the shop actually. :)

2. banburysaint

banburysaint Member

Good to hear that the locomotive is progressing. I remember a program on Didcot in the late 80s which highlighted 3822 and the groups next project of 7202

3. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

Haven't all overhaul and restoration projects at Didcot come to a complete halt because the focus is totally on new build - the County, Saint etc? Isn't that why they had to hire in an industrial this year because none of the home fleet were available?

4. baldric

baldric Member

K
    This is not true, work has continued on 7202 as has fund raising through our shop and the bar.

5. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I hadn't paid a lot of attention to whats in the works when I've visited, but I'm pretty confident 1363 and 4079 at least are actively being worked on as well as 7202. And 6023 of course. Plus a new boiler backhead has been made for 1466.

6. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Wouldn't mind seeing one of these straighten a few curves out, they're bloody big engines!

paullad1984 likes this.
  7. MG 7305

MG 7305 New Member

Dear Baldric

Any chance of an update on the 3822 / 7202 website? The last one was dated 31 Dec 2014 and it appears from the Didcot website that someone has been having fun with the boiler.

Best regards

Julian

8. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Summarised from various GWS Echo's - a lot of this is recollection off the top of my head so I cannot guarantee precise accuracy... I sadly haven't physically set foot in DRC for c.8 years due to being c.200+ miles away.

Loco shortage due to unexpected problems with 3650 and 4144, need small loco due to curve on branch (being realigned Winter 16-17) so loco was hired as required to cover, hired loco went home last week I believe...

1363 is a bigger job than expected due to needing large part rear? of frames to be replaced. With this in mind 1340 is instead being pushed forward for quick contract overhaul, fundraising is concentrating on this (I have two books of raffle tickets on my desk here should anyone wish to buy them!) and she was dispatched last week (to Loughborough David Wright) - she left DRC in the same move via NR to loading point that the hired industrial also departed on. There is an aspiration and some funding to get 1466 overhauled in time for anniversary but needs more cash?

In terms of focus, this appears to be driven by wheat projects volunteers wish to work on, thus 4079 has a team as do the other restoration projects etc and in fact the new builds.

If one wants to keep up to date, and avoid misinformation the various Facebook pages are updated reasonably regularly with photographs. - see photograph of Trojans departure.... if this works as I think this is actually a closed group https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=911058485694141&set=gm.10153770674980904&type=3&theater if it doesn't work the group is Great Western Society (Didcot)

Geedude likes this.
  9. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

I would imagine some PWay work might be needed! Can't wait to see it. Always an impressive loco, even when fist arrived from Barry