If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Grouping Centenary

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 22A, Mar 5, 2017.

1. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Some companies merged in 1922 with the main Grouping occurring in 1923. It is only six years until the 100th anniversary of that occasion. Are any preserved lines considering, or better still already planning an event to mark the Grouping's centenary please?

For those of my generation, remember the Shildon Cavalcade in 1975 for the 150th anniversary of the Stockton & Darlington? It's only eight years until the 200th occurs. Is there anything already at the planning stage for that please?

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The 1975 Shildon cavalcade happened under the auspices of BR. The attempts to celebrate the 175th anniversary in 2000 was a private initiative but foundered. I suspect any future attempts would face a similar fate unless NR and the various TOCs can all work together.

3. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    I remember the 2000 attempt. In 1975 excursions worked from various parts of the country to Shildon. (Mine left Bristol at midnight). Early arrivals could stand on the platform to watch the cavalcade. Those arriving later were able to find a viewing spot of their choice further down the route.

In 2000, some excursions were advertised, but cost more that a normal CDR. Spectators could either then pay a premium to view from a grandstand or else stand in a trackside field. Anyone not in the front five rows would have very limited visibility. It was also announced that Security patrols would be out & about. If anyone tried standing on an over bridge to view the cavalcade, they would be moved on as they were causing an obstruction.
    That could have caused trouble as a private firm would have no legal powers to move people on who are on a public right of way.

As for celebrating the Grouping, presumably the lines best equipped to do so, given their current loco stud, would be the Bluebell, K&ESR and the Worth Valley?