If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Gods of The Copybook Headings inscribed on panels

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Helm, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Helm

Helm New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    My neighbour is a security guard at 19 Bolsover Street in Fitzrovia (the Westend of London) - he tells me of a couple of lines from a poem on the wall, so i give him my digicam and we learn these are the verses from a poem by Rudyard Kipling; the panels descend some floors, and are horizontally inscribed with verses, which are also gilded; the signature is Rudyard Kipling, but i think it was engraved by someone who occupied the building around 1919, as there were carvers, sculptors and gilders living there. i would like to know who crafted this - the building is undergoing renovation now, the panels are preserved but strangely, the floors of the landings stop within a scant inch of the panels... i will add some pix, you'll have to zoom in to make out the cursive script. i will attempt to get better photos; if anyone could shed some light on this i'd be grateful :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Martin Perry likes this.
  2. Helm

Helm New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016