If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

German preserved railways

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by zigzag, Nov 25, 2011.

1. dampflok

dampflok Member

Nurse,Qualified Ward Manager now retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Happy to see this part of the line opening again. Had a great day out in 1990 .I wonder if the level crossing on the Dresden-Prag trunk road in Kipsdorf is still ungated? Probably not .

2. SteamGalore

SteamGalore New Member

Retired Civil Engineer
    Just found this thread and I will add my two euros or what ever currency prevails when you visit Germany! Over the course I have visited several of the narrow Gauge railways in central and eastern Germany. I have always driven myself,that way you can explore at leisure. I have just returned from a quick visit to the Hartz where there was plenty of snow up the brocken and that whole HSB system is definitely worth a visit of a few days alone.It is much cheaper to buy a multi day pass so as to visit all the branches.You could on route there stop off at Wuppertal inthe Dusseldorf area and visit the unique Dingle Dangle suspension railway which is amazing. The Sauschwanzlebahn or Piggies Tail railway is also worth a visit for the viaducts alone.In the east around the Dresden area and near the Czech border there are several lines as has been mentioned as well as the large Railway Museums such as Hilbersdorf near Chemnitz.Many of the lines are run as commercial enterprises and are not like our preserved lines but they do seem to have more of a sense of their industrial heritage and there are lots of small museums. I would thoroughly recommend visiting Germany for steam and the beer and food are great too!
    See my site at Zenfolio | SteamGalore | German Railways for pictures of my visits to these lines.

3. KHARDS

KHARDS Well-Known Member

Train Planner
    I have a spare day in Münster coming up. Any recommendations on the nearest place of interest?

Regards

4. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Try this site: http://museum.bahnen-und-busse.de/
    It lists all rail, bus & tram museums/museum lines in Germany, Austria and Switzerland but only in the German language.
    Ray.