If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Fuji Finepix S5600

Discussion in 'Photography' started by 34007, Mar 25, 2009.

1. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Hi all,

How does everyone rate this camera - Got a good deal on it and will eventually get to my favourite Make which is Nikon (D70S or D80) But in the interim any information/help to using this camera which should arrive Mid next week would be very much appreciated?

Trouble is at the moment I can't afford the Nikon that I want currently.

Many Thanks

Andy

2. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I have a Fuji Finepix S9600, not sure how similar they are but I am very happy with mine, I am learning as I go and at the moment I feel my camera has far more to offer me that I havnt got around to using yet. I only paid around £200 for mine, a year ago, I say only, hopefully that was a decent deal, it seemed it!

Some of my best effots with my camera here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alts1985/

3. 34007

Looks good mate - Hope mine are just as good?? Do they do black and white shots if you set it on the camera or is it a Photoshop adjustment?

4. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think it is possible in the 9600, and should be possible in the S5600. Although i'm not fussed with the feature personally. I'd rather take it in colour then i have the option to have it in colour, B&W, Sepia etc.

I also use the 9600 which i bought back in august for about £189 with a memory card. As is always the case though, it doesn't really matter what camera you have, it's how you use it. I'm pretty sure you could get similar results to the ones i have got from the 9600 if you do go for the S5600. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kieranhard ... 130335508/ Seems the s5600 has had good reviews on amazon aswell.

Bit strange your asking for ratings on a camera when it seems you've already paid for it!

5. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

IMHO it is always best to take in colour and adjust to black and white on the pc afterwards.

6. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    I have one, I've had it for about 3 years and never really had any problems with it. They are a very good starter camera, unfortunatly I can't show you any pictures as my fotopic is far too out of date and I have none with me. I will be looking to replace it in the next few years though as I think I have grown out of it. There is no black and white function(there are a vast array of others) on it but the software allows you to edit it very simply.

The only thing I would say about the software is try not to rotate with it when running macfee (spelling?) anti virus. Mine decided it was a trojan and deleted it for me. It was fantastic as I coun't get the picture back and nearly uninstalled the anti virus package.

Any more q's just pm me!

Ross

7. 34007

Thanks for the replies all. The reason why I am going with this camera is because of the pure fact of funds and the fact this looks a pretty good starter SLR camera.
    I will of course be using photoshop of any decent shots I take in time to turn into Black and White. And any good ones I do get I will be sure to share.

8. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Well i had a S5500,it was a brilliant starter camera these are what i took last week with it so you should be able to get better results:

http://mark-walker.fotopic.net/p57098741.html

Unfortunately it has packed up,the lens is stuck BUT i believe this is due to the soot from hanging it out of the window,i would advise against this,i will now only do diesel on train shots.... i have got a new one...

Cheers,
    Mark

9. 34007

Hi Alberta. I hope so. And thanks for the advice - I shall only probably use the Camcorder for shots/video on the move. Although if the lens is fully in - Will this not protect the camera?

Also is it possible to get a copy of these 2 Bulleids please as that is a lovely photo? It will of course be for my own personal use. (SYM and Admin can my profile be changed please so that I can PM people as I have no other way of contacting you?) This bit can be removed in the post.

Thanks

Andy

10. thequantocks

thequantocks Member

retired

If you can afford to buy photoshop £600 surly you shold be able to buy a DSLR

11. 34007

I've got a fairly old version of photoshop - Not yet installed that I can use, but my DSLR Camera that I am waiting to receive I am hoping gives the right atmosphere. I guess only time will tell?

12. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    I always take in colour then adjust later, I havnt got photoshop or anything, I am only using the Fuji thingy that came with it, just a basic adjustment, slight sharpen and crop is all I tend to do (and go black and white perhaps). Crop is probably the biggest thing I use, and thinking about what I want to take in the first place. I often only use a small percentage of the original picture and the quality seems to be good enough still.

13. rodders154

rodders154 Member

Retired Grumpy old man

I mainly use the free program Picasa from google. It does what I want and the price is right. Allows all sort of ajustments and after you can use it to upload to a photo site.

Try it, don't just reject it because it is freeware.

BTW I have the S7000 which is a very good camera and the Olympus E500 I can reccomend either

14. Forevagrey

Forevagrey New Member

i have had one for two years now and it is brilliant it always works very robust and some good settings on it highly recommended

15. 34007

Thanks for the Input guys - And I will certainly consider Picasa! Anything that this camera has fault wise that I should be made aware off? I should be receiving tomorrow....

The only annoying thing is the fact it uses x4 AA Batteries, so how long do these last?

Thanks

Andy

16. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

17. rodders154

rodders154 Member

Retired Grumpy old man
    Agreed my S7000 does about 200 between charges. I use 2300 maH rechargable about £8 for 4

18. 34007

The only problem is that these AA's would have to be good quality rechargables or Duracell? I am taking both my Digital Video Camera and this DSLR out for a day soon. And i am hoping the flash will not be needed in that case, plus if it does then I have plenty of batteries on me? How come; I wonder do these cameras like the Nikon's (As an example: Come with Battery packs)
    Is this not more ideal for a camera? Does the S5600 have an auto-standby mode if not used for sometime to save battery consumption?

19. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

20. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You can indeed change the time before shut down on the menu. I too like the use of AA batteries; a couple of sets of fully charged rechargeables, and a set of Duracells just to make sure, and I can get a full weekend out of them and then a bit more. But if I did exhaust them all, salvation's available in many shops.

I used to have an S5600 but upgraded to an S9600 a couple of years back. My only issue is the shutter delay if you use auto focus. I've had to force myself back into manual mode; all the bells and whistles tend to make you lazy, especially as the previous camera was a Spotmatic!