If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Foxfield @ 50

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Avonside1563, Mar 16, 2017.

1. estwdjhn

estwdjhn Member

Boilermaker
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A rover ticket gives access (and is required to access) the lineside fields alongside Foxfield bank, and Foxfield yard.

There are various other points where you can get good lineside photos to the route between Caverswall and Dilhorne Park from public rights of way, but unfortunately there are no other special access arrangements into the fields alongside the line beyond these points. Your best bet is probably to grab a map, and try some footpaths - there are some quite good (and surprisingly lightly used) photo locations on the line between Caverswall and Dilhorne Park.

The railway doesn't provide lineside passes - I think it's felt that the winding nature of the the route, with some quite short sightlines and fairly limited clearances would make lineside passes problematic.

2. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

It ran today and there are still some issues with the regulator but the message I had was that the loco should run throughout the weekend. Certainly the regulator seemed to be opening okay from what I saw at Cresswellford crossing.....

Jon

3. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Just got back from the first day of the gala great first day with impressive performances from all locos on the climb from the colliery there seemed to be a problem with Wimblebury on the last train back from Dilthorne walking pace all the way hopefully nothing that cannot be fixed easily

4. estwdjhn

estwdjhn Member

Boilermaker
    A locking pin had somehow worked loose in the motion, hence the engine was worked back slowly and carefully. A replacement pin has been fitted, and she should be fit for normal service tomorrow and sunday.

5. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    What a great day Friday was. My thanks to all the loco crews and other staff who made it such a great event. Great sights and sounds as trains blasted up the bank from the Colliery.
    Well worth the 480 mile round trip, wish I could have stayed all weekend.

Foxfield the gift that just keeps giving!

26D_M likes this.
  6. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

Video from Saturday at the wonderful Foxfield

7. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

My first Foxfield gala since the colliery line was reopened. Superb and totally unique. Everyone at the FR should be proud of what they've achieved.
    P1000463.JPG

Where's Mazeppa? and oldmrheath like this.
  8. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre

Some video from an enjoyably wet charter and morning at Foxfield.

9. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
  10. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    A set of images from Sunday at the gala can now be seen on my Zenfolio website at: - http://mickrogers.zenfolio.com/p1034274372

EOS 5D Mark III_170716_2741.jpg

An excellent day, despite the changes necessary following the failure of Wimblebury first thing in the morning and the bar at Caverswall Road not being open at all!
    Cheers,

26D_M likes this.
  11. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

Blimey has the temperance society taken over then!
    Wimblebury did sound a little strange on Friday, do we know what the issue was?

12. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Wimblebury was suffering from sticking drain cocks all weekend which might have accounted for sounding strange. She has only had 6 steamings since the boiler went back in the frames and is still cleaning the boiler out so lots of oil and other bits working through. The problem on Sunday morning was the discovery of a broken horseshoe thrust plate on the thrust face of the left leading axle box which gave cause for concern of serious damage should it come completely loose and jam so it was decided to withdraw her. The boxes were all done around 20 years ago so the decision has been taken to replace the thrust plates on all axle boxes and the material has already been ordered. She will be lifted and done ready for the autumn gala at the end of September. I can state that she is rather better than before the overhaul as I had to propel all 18 wagons and brake van out of the loop with her so they could be shunted on Saturday and the only reason I stopped was I couldn't justify going any further! She was comfortably keeping them going on the 1 in 19!

The bar closure is another issue around staffing with the sudden and unexpected departure of a key volunteer which left us in a position that meant we could not staff the bar within the licensing requirements. There will be a short hiatus as we are taking the opportunity to update the cellar with proper cooling to keep the beer and lager in better condition. Rest assured the bar will reopen as we all like a pint at the end of the day and it's also a valuable asset for the local community with its own regulars from the village.

Copper-capped likes this.