If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Former MoD/WD Rolling stock

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by geekfindergeneral, Mar 1, 2014.

1. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There is an article listing all the LNER Control Train coaches on the LNERCA website : http://www.lnerca.com/controltrains.html. 9066 is not amongst them, and its DE number (320927) is not in the same range as the rest of the vehicles. At the time the article was written Murray worked in the BR rolling stock library, so had access to the records. I have asked him to have a look and see what he can tell me about it.

2. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

LNER Third Class Restaurant (with Kitchen) 42970 (later 9066) was, as far as I am aware, used in Departmental Service as an Office Coach numbered DE320907 but I am not sure of its location(s) when used as such. I am not aware of it having any connection with the Emergency Control Trains. It was acquired for preservation in the early 1980's by Rick Edmondson (Resco) and was initially stored at the Nene Valley Railway before moving to Carnforth and then Mangapps.

3. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Semi-retired farmer, railway & museum owner
    Many thanks, also to 61624. I will amend our records accordingly.
    The misinformation probably came about because when we were given this vehicle by Rick Edmondson it came with 3 others, 2 of which were also Gresleys. The only trouble was that the removal of the stock from Carnforth happened very quickly, we didn't know exactly what we were getting until they arrived and there was some confusion about which of the coaches Rick was disposing of, had gone where!
    I would be very interested if anyone has any info on where DE320907 was used during it's departmental use.

4. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I've now heard from Murray, who states that 9066 is something of a mystery, in that it it was withdrawn in 1958 but did not become a departmental carriage until 1961.

He confirms that it was certainly not one of the 16 Gresley Control vehicles. None of these 16 were formerly catering carriages. The Control Carriages were all converted in 1963, two years after DE320927, and were disbanded and put on the market in 1979.

5. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Preserved Railway Stocklist has reappeared.
    Tried a search and a couple of pages of results came up.
    http://www.uklocos.com/preservedrailwaystocklist/

6. oddsocks

oddsocks Well-Known Member

Retired / Dodging a Coffin for as long as I can.
    Half a mile east of Snells Nook Halt. (1883-1931)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Detailed in "British Rail Coaching Stock 1983/4" from Ian Allan, DE320907 former No. 9019E, allocated to E.R., Staff Dormitory Coach (With Ballast Cleaner DR76203).
    320927 is not listed.
    (Have these two numbers got crossed somewhere?)

7. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Yes, I think they have! I have never been entirely sure about the departmental number of this coach, as when it arrived here none was visible, only the running number E9066E. It should be DE320927 and judging from it's internal condition when it arrived here, was probably used as an office or telephone exchange. It was in remarkably good condition and looked as though it had spent most of the 30-odd years since withdrawal from passenger traffic, under cover.

8. mary aston

mary aston New Member

Hi All. My father was in residence on this coach from 1962 to the late 70s. It belonged to the Chief Civil Engineering sept based then at Kings cross. It was in use as a mess and sleeping van and attached to a Track Laying team in Eastern Region, which stretched all the way to Berrick on Tweed.
    Dad says it was modified for their use in Lowestoft Harbour Works. The lads on the track laying gang maintained it, is painted it etc. He said it had a big range in it originally, but later a smaller stove and heater. He has always remembered the number as they would travel all over the country and would need to locate it in large marshalling yards.
    My father's name is Sean Kane but known as John at work. He lives in Colchester Essex but comes originally from Wexford.

flaman likes this.
  9. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

That's very interesting and helpful. I can remember that when I lived near Lowestoft in the 1970s, there was for some time a Gresley main-line coach of similar type and in remarkably original condition, in the Harbour Works, right down at the eastern end of the Works sidings, close to and visible from the A12 Harbour Bridge. Was it the same one, I wonder?

However, I'm puzzled by your mention of the range and stove. Most departmental coaches were fitted with them, but E9066 had no sign of one, or even the hole in the roof for the chimney or the metal floor and side plates, invariably backed with asbestos:eek:, that were a sure sign of their former presence even if the stoves themselves had been removed.

10. mary aston

mary aston New Member

I will talk to my Dad and come back to you.
    To be vlear, you have come into contact with this coach since it was decommissioned? Where is it now and what is its state?

11. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Yes, quite a bit;)! I can see it from where I'm sitting (not far from Colchester:)) It's restored, usually kept indoors as a museum coach, though occasionally used for its original purpose.

12. mary aston

mary aston New Member

Really.....That's great, my dad would love to see it, is that possible? My email is astonme2003@hotmail.com f want to communicate more privately about location. We live in Colchester.

13. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

It's no secret, the coach is at Mangapps Railway, Burnham on Crouch. We're open every weekend and look forward to seeing you:).

14. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Well worth a visit, even if the coach wasn't there.

flaman likes this.
  15. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

At the KESR, we have numerous ex-military vehicles. Start with 2 Austerity tanks, then add 2 USA tanks. Both of our Birdcage brake coaches, together with the "Blue Saloons", were all at Longmoor. Our ex-SR brake van (AD49022) was also at Longmoor, as was our LNWR brake (AD49025). We have a few box vans that were ex-Chatham Dockyard in it's Navy days, numbers 564, 589 and 675. Apparently (Google is your friend), our bogie bolster was also ex-Navy, their number 606.

Oh, and I don't know if it counts, but we have quite a few ex military staff!

Kinghambranch likes this.
  16. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    The SVR's "Southern" pillbox brakevan 55577 is really AD49010, being once at Longmoor before finishing up at RNAD Gosport

17. Maximus

Maximus New Member

The EKR also have an ex Army Ruston Loco (No 427) , an ammo wagon with a sliding roof, another ammo wagon and a brakevan used at Longmoor.