If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Former MoD/WD Rolling stock

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by geekfindergeneral, Mar 1, 2014.

1. geekfindergeneral

geekfindergeneral Member

Railwayman
    Does anyone have a list of ex-army rolling stock at heritage railways? There is a lot of it - we are especially interested in coaching stock and PW trolleys, but wagons would be useful also. We know where the steam and diesel engines are (we think), and some of the coaches - the Longmoor "Blue Saloons", Kitchener's Coach, and the LSWR Diner/Amnulance Car, plus the BAOR ambulance car and Berliner WR, but there must be more. Any pointers gratefully received, thank you in anticipation.

Neil

2. mendiprail

mendiprail Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    ex-Longmoor Military Railway Std Brakevan 49028, built by the Standard Wagon Company, Stockport in 1959, is preserved on the East Somerset Railway, although it is currently painted in bauxite, as opposed to LMR blue. I believe at one point that a few other wagons on the ESR also originated from Longmoor, but I am not sure which ones they would be, nor whether any remain on site!

3. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    I was going to suggest the preserved railway stocklist and use the filters to list military.
    However just tried logging in and got session failed.

On the NYMR there are 2 locos.
    1 - Dame Vera Lynn 2-10-0 WD
    2 - 0-4-0 DM number 16 http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/76-2/number-16-0-4-0-dm/

I don't think that there is anything else ex military.

4. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

On the Bluebell, there is LSWR Van 2773 (fictitious number), ex Longmoor AD47773.

Amongst the locos, P class 27 was ex-ROD and was in Boulogne ca. 1917. There is also a USA tank - WD 1959.

Tom

5. geekfindergeneral

geekfindergeneral Member

Railwayman
    Thanks to all who responded.

Neil

6. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I think there are a few Rectanks around as boiler-carrying wagons

7. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

look on the VCT, under "designed for" there is Army or MoD, each produces around half a dozen results on the carriage section (although mostly trolleys) and Wagons MoD brings up a large quantity things, but no Army option

8. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Semi-retired farmer, railway & museum owner

9. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Sorry about that, obviously pressed wrong button!
    The message, however is correct, if you need further details please contact me.

10. geekfindergeneral

geekfindergeneral Member

Railwayman
    Many thanks flaman...tbh, I don't think it would have crossed our minds to look at Mangapps, so very grateful for that. The plan is to produce a record of all the WD survivors in one public document, including copying the VCT's very useful "at risk" definition. Military Railways are developing a new audience of their own thanks largely to the WW1 commemorations, and with the 2012 Berliner British 'military Train Tribute attracting 700 passengers. A single but definitive list will be a useful tool. Thank you again. Neil

11. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    The Bury Standard Four Group, based at the East Lancs railway, have a number of wagons obtained from R. O. F. Chorley and some ex-R.N. wagons.

geekfindergeneral likes this.
  12. geekfindergeneral

geekfindergeneral Member

Railwayman
    Thanks std tank...do you happen to know if the tank loading ramp, ex-Bicester, is also at East Lancs?

13. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Neil

There are these:

http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=10220 (SNSO = Superintendent Naval Stores Officer)
    http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=10219
    http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=10218

Given the location, I suspect all three were at some point in the ownership of the Navy.

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/wagon/49018.html - Ministry of Supply standard SR-pattern 25ton brakeman (built 1942, in service with the war department before transfer to BR in 1949; later ARMY49018 at RAF Chilmark).

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/wagon/524178.html (LMS 12ton vent goods van, later sold to MoD and renumbered SNSO813 in Navy service).

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/maunsell3687.html - not strictly a forces vehicle, but with an interesting military connection, used as part of an emergency control train for use in the event of a nuclear war.

Plus the ones I mentioned earlier - On the Bluebell, there is LSWR Van 2773 (fictitious number), ex Longmoor AD47773.

Amongst the locos, P class 27 was ex-ROD and was in Boulogne ca. 1917. There is also a USA tank - WD 1959.

Tom

14. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Shame on you!:( It's one of the biggest (and best) collections of wagons in the country!

Having checked the Mangapps stocklist, I notice that there are several former military vehicles which are either not described as such, or whose description needs updating in the light of recent research.

Barclay 0-4-0ST 2157 (1943) was new to Royal Ordnance Factory No. 8.
    R-H 4w DM 210483 (1942) was new to the Admiralty at Kingswear.

Coach- BS 43264 was at RNAD Trecwn before going to the E. Somerset Rly.
    Restaurant/Pantry 3rd E9066E was an Emergency Control train vehicle
    Wagons- Cal Rly. Pig iron wagon DM323117 (fictitious number) was built c1913
    Cal Rly. Twin Bolster Set 610 was originally built as such c1913.
    Flat wagon RN347 is probably a RN rebuild of a GER open. Now match wagon for CP Caboose.

15. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't know there were more survivors of that type. I assume 323117 is (and the others were) the same as 45055/45056/45073 at the GCR. However I always understood them to date from c.1905. There were only 40 built so for 4 to make it to their centenary is remarkable, although two of the GCR three are in a pretty shocking state now. Any idea of the Army number of 323117, assuming its origin to be similar to the other three? 45055 & 45073 have had replacement solebars during what must have been a hard life, any idea if 323117 has been so treated?​

16. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Deleted (duplicate post)

17. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't help you on the Army number, all identity marks had gone when we obtained it from Shoeburyness. Even the Army didn't know what it was, it was found, forgotten, in a remote part of the Ranges! It's in usable condition (we use it as a ballast wagon) and appears to have it's original solebars. The build date is a guess on my part, based on the fact that it is known to be pre-WW1. I had originally thought that the twin-bolster was made up of two wagons of the same type as the pig iron wagon, but recently found out that it was purpose-built in that form.

18. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I'm pretty sure it wasn't!

19. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Well, that's what it's former owner reckoned, but if you have more accurate information I'd be delighted to know!

20. geekfindergeneral

geekfindergeneral Member

Railwayman
    Flaman, I had no idea, and duly hang my head in shame. I only knew it was the home of (some) of the Northern Line heritage train, which played a big part in my working life in 1989/90. Unbelievably, Mrs GF-G once drove that (under supervision) round the Kings Cross loop after a filming job on the Hammersmith & City!

To everyone else, thank you so much for this wealth of information - and your generosity in sharing it.

Neil

flaman likes this.