If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Folkestone Harbour Future - Press Release

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by timbgray64, Mar 20, 2009.

1. timbgray64

timbgray64 Member

Electrical Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk ... tegoryID=8

2. swanage steve

swanage steve New Member

Guard
  3. CALIFORNIA WORKS

CALIFORNIA WORKS New Member

Thanks Steve

4. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

who were the local people network rail consulted with, the local council and the multi millionaire businessman/ property developer , who wants the land , i smell a rat, a big friends of friends in high places rat it would appear that there was the chance of more specials running, but network rail didnt tell anyone and has used the excuse of no more trains to mothball the line i agree that the track is in dire need of attension in areas , but this all seems just too convienient

5. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

LOL i very much doubt there was a conspiracy against charters on the harbour branch. More likely that the NR managers thought that with the end of the line's regular traffic (VSOE's) it was about time they should do the paperwork to close the line. Its not a good use of NR resources to keep a branch open for a couple of charters a year, especially as they relied to a certain extent on being advertised as the last one!

Chris

6. CALIFORNIA WORKS

I guess you're pretty near the truth Chris and as for conspiracy theories- well the line is very close to Martin's heart.In any case yesterday's release by our chairman negates this point of view.(www.theremembranceline.org.uk)Nonetheless the campaign goes on-watch this space.

7. James

James Part of the furniture

8. martin butler

im not saying that network rail is being underhand, but they are a government body and in politics its not what you know ,its who you know, a word in someones ear, etc, oh minister, bring this to networks notice, that sort of thing, pressure from above and yes the line is very close to my heart i live in folkestone and think its got potential along with the harbour and it annoys me that people don't seem to be that bothered about the last historic part of folkestone being lost for ever and for what, so that rich commuters from London , if there's any left , can move in and park their yachts in the new white elephant marina that wont be any help to people in folkestone who are seing their businesses going down the drain because no one bothers to go down by the harbour any more

9. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I can understand your strong feelings about the closure, but realistically its been coming for a long time now, spurred on by the need for stabling sidings for the SET 395's.

You might disagree with the redevelopment, but whatever the future of the branch it was never going to be as part of the privatised network; actually, if anything this benefits those who think the 'remembrance line' idea has legs, as the idea is still relatively new and fresh in people's minds, while the economy makes big redevelopment schemes look a little shaky.

Chris

10. CALIFORNIA WORKS

Quite right Chris-ideally we should have started much earlier-but that's the way of the world.The Remembrance line 'legs' have certainly got to move fast!

11. Bongoharry

Bongoharry Member

Folkestone is an odd place. I have fond memories of a day - a truly wonderful seaside day - spent there when I was 8, I even remember a Bulleid pacific flying through the station before our train arrived to go there. I suppose the fact that other than for football with our local club I've hardly been back is all part of the decline of the town. However, they are making an effort to bring life back to the street leading down to the harbour - cheap rents for craft and art galleries etc. The down at the harbour they have a ready-made attraction all but ready to go which they don't seem top want. The crowds may not flock back as they did for Tangmere & the Brit recently but any family seeing a steam train heading up the bank would I'd suggest be on the next train to depart - so long as fares were competitive. It really is a line which can be enjoyed as a ride and as a spectacle when you get off. Noweher else is quite like it!

Good luck to the Remembrance group - you deserve to get a chance to try your ideas at the least while this recession has halted the crazy development ideas.

12. martin butler

the last poster sums up what i feel, that there is a ready made attraction to help to re invigorate the area, the fact that the recession has meant the shelving of the scheme to re develop the station site should not be seen as salvation, after all, folkestone harbour company could still buy the land and bulldoze everything and leave the site , as they have done with the former rotunda site till things pick up according to Mr DeHaans publicity people the purchase plans are not shelved just the redevelopment , the sad bit is that there is plenty of land in folkestone, the former channel school site, for the university, the underused car park next to the leas lift, for the night club and bars, and the whole of the foreshore rotuna site for housing right up to the lorry park without taking the railway out, and just forget about the marina, or use the existing harbour for that, after all there is a swing bridge to allow access or even a new cut further down towards the car park

13. CALIFORNIA WORKS

Thanks Bongo Harry-you're making me go all misty eyed-taking me back to the balmy afternoons of a 50's summer at Folkestone Harbour-when R1's were plenty and the trains they hauled were friendly.Yes Folkestone is odd-but very special-thanks again for your good wishes. :smt023