If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Folkestone Harbour back on the map?

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by stepney60, Dec 3, 2008.

1. 34014

34014 Member

Retired
    Word has it that there could be at least four trips down the harbour line with steam in 2009.

The VSOE stock will continue to be stabled at the Harbour Station throughout 2009.

Local news is that the redevelopment plans have been shelved 'for the foreseeable future'.

With any luck; there will never be 'A Last One'.

2. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Not too sure about that. So far all trains that have run to Folkestone Harbour have been operated by EWS. 70013 is vacuum brake only and therefore will not be operated by EWS.

3. CALIFORNIA WORKS

CALIFORNIA WORKS New Member

BACK ON THE MAP? IT WAS NEVER OFF IT!

Don't forget the Hastings 'Thumper' 'Onward' Tour on Sunday 21st December-Jointly being run by the Remembrance Line Association and Hastings Diesels.Glad to say that it sold out in 2 weeks flat.We of course inspired the further steam tours projected into next year.If you still wish to travel on the branch,on the 21st we be running one shuttle from the harbour to Folkestone Junction and back.Fare £5.00 and £1.00 for child(16yrs and under)-Departs at 14.00-no booking,just turn up and first come first served. We will be looking at further 'Thumper' tours in 2009 ourselves.

Re preservation of the branch-watch this space for an important RL announcement coming up in a couple of weeks. Initial drawings for the RL batch of new build R1 tanks are now completed and we're working on quantities to come up with some budget pricing.Future R1 news will appear in the steam traction section.

With regard to the harbour development -it has now been officially shelved for an indefinite period owing to the impending recession.As for VSOE-still not clear what they're intentions are for 2009.However with no crew messing facilities available elsewhere,it still seems that the Remembrance Line is an option.Fingers crossed.

Maintenance work recently being carried out on the swing bridge central support has now been completed.Now looks well cared for.The hoped for paint job on the steel work did not materialise.

The Folkestone Harbour Branch-now known as the 'Remembrance Line'-Hoorah!

Oh and please...no more of these "oh not another last" train cliches.THe 'Onward' tour is the first of many!

4. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

What do you mean by that? With regards to the 'remembrance line', if anything its been scuppered - to be even remotely practical it requires the purchase of the line, and i cant see that happening with the VSOE running down it for the forseeable future.

Chris

5. CALIFORNIA WORKS

I simply mean't that with our rail tour, we demonstrated that the line was still available for use.We have been making excellent progress with establishing ourselves as a viable entity over the last 11 months or so.Whoever told you that in a couple of weeks that you simply bang on network rail's door and say -"I wanna buy your line mate...here's the wedge! Waddya mean Scuppered? Oh ye of little faith! The Remembrance Line Association is set up either,in the first instance to support the line and/or ultimately to acquire it.Does that answer your query?
    :smt114

6. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I see your quotation above and raise you Page 8 of this months Railway Magazine.

But lets be honest, in the big picture does it really matter?

7. 34014

34014 Member

Retired
    I had some good information yesterday from an EWS driver that VSOE will continue to stable at Folkestone Harbour because Network Rail and South Eastern have refused to provide crew facilities anywhere else owing to cost in these 'credit crunch ' times.

Personally; I hope the 'credit crunch' continues for many years to come.

8. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Ooooh, not a wise thing to say - but I know what you mean!

9. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    All depends on whether (a) you need to keep a job, and (b) how safe it is. Not too bad if you are an irresponsible executive who of course has had his Christmas bonus, and even if he gets the sack will get a nice golden handshake and not need to work again - anyway can count on the old school tie to get another executive job.

Anyway, the credit crunch may impose some sanity and slow down the development craze. Maybe the French enthusiasts ought to know about this little gem.

10. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM

Also Folkestone East "Train Roads" will be used by Southeastern from the December 2009 timetable for berthing 395 stock, or stock displaced by berthing 395's at Ashford or Ramsgate. (The Train Roads are the reversing sidings nearest to the mainline.) Some other sidings would need a double reversal via the Harbour branch to gain the main line.

Regards, Neil

11. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I hope VSOE has a contingency plan, if for example some of the track on the branch is found to be knackered then it's likely to be game over rather than replaced.

12. CALIFORNIA WORKS

You are well informed Neil-the 395 berthing requirement may well be the crunch point for those wishing to access the branch.However if by December 09 proper crew messing facilities are still not available for the VSOE crews(and I can't see how,where or when there will be), at least one reversing road of the correct orientation will have to be left clear to stable the VSOE and/or let it run down to the harbour.

13. leander

leander Member

revised times now 08.28 off victoria

14. timbgray64

timbgray64 Member

Electrical Engineer
    and re-routed via Clapham Jn, rather than Brixton & Tulse Hill

15. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    I see on the UK railtours site that the 14th March run with 70013 is now going from Waterloo. The ecs moves are a little confusing though as they still show the stock going into and out of Victoria..............

16. aperture

aperture Member

Professional Photographer
    ...out of WATERLOO via Brixton.

Then perhaps the old Eurostar route,up & over the bridge just before Queenstown Rd.The timing seems right..9 mins would seem logical.

17. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    ....not any longer !

David

18. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM

Linford Street Curve is the official name. A messy bit of railway being on be interface between Wimbledon and Victoria signalling centres and the 3rd rail supply split between Raynes park and Lewisham.

Cheers, Neil

19. James Shuttleworth

James Shuttleworth New Member

NR have now published their revised Network Change notifications, as the DBS (for VSOE ops) objections have apparently been satisfied. The branch will be designated short-term Out Of Use, with effect from 00.01 on 15/03/09 (in reality, after the passage of the charter), pending full closure in a year's time.

Given the generally deteriorating state of the branch and the principal fact that there is no booked traffic over it, the reality is that this is hardly surprising.

This train will now almost certainly be the last movement over the branch (other than for lifting etc).

James Shuttleworth
    WCR

20. CALIFORNIA WORKS

James you are quite right,in fact the correct terminology is I believe 'Temporary Network Change' which effectively puts things into mothballed mode,as you say ,for a year.By the way thankyou for your efforts with the 'Onward' thumper tour on 21st Dec 08-all was much appreciated.Your team played a blinder as of course they did again with the January 'Golden Arrow'.We gave full support.
    As for the 'Remembrance Line' we fight on-the next 12months will be interesting to say the least!