If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flying Scotsman

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, Aug 24, 2010.

1. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

I'm sure if they'd had 5 tracks…

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Spamcan81 likes this.
  2. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    From the sidings southwards, the consideration of being able to change from 4 tracks down to 3 at Skelton Bridge must be taken into consideration and one of the trains concerned would have to be first to go through.
    Also what was the southern limit of 4 tracks in one direction?
    Would it have been Skelton Bridge or further South?

Spamcan81 likes this.
  3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    As a paying passenger maybe I'd have the right to a moan, as a "free to view" linesider I'd have no right at all.
    Anyhow, looking at other pictures it seems you chose the wrong vantage point. These things happen.

Johnb likes this.
  4. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired

C'mon Fred, have a look at the video clip that BBC news put out...........4 sets running along side by side. Just a pity that the Deltic got the supporting role, Deltics are a big part of ECML history.

5. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

All four trains pulled up at the Possession limit at Skelton Bridge Junction, which is the end of the four track section. From there the Class 91 train (on the Up Fast) went first followed by the HST (on the Up Slow) to York station by means of the Up Fast. Then 60103 (Down Slow) went forward to gain the bi-directional Down Fast to the signal between Skelton Junction and Water End bridge where it waited for the Azuma to arrive alongside on the Up Main. At the appointed time the signals cleared and the two proceeded running parallel towards York station to arrive similtainously in Plats 5 and 9 respectively.

Peter

6. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    As an ex colonial I don't think you count as being foreign! I agree with you but I think by the same token steam should have been represented by an A4 but that's a small point, for the UK this was a very unusual event

7. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

And just which A4 would you have chosen John given that there has not been an operational A4 on the Network for nearly 12 months now. I know No. 9 is immanent but this exercise has been months in the planning and you can only plan for what is available not what might be.

Peter

8. DismalChips

DismalChips Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Probably an A4 would have worked better as the streamlined profile would have followed the lines of the modern trains more neatly. But it was, as everyone says, a PR stunt and FS is the big draw right now.

9. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    It appears from the replies that many feel that the 4 trainsets running to The Sidings and posing there for over 30 minutes was adequate "performance" of the Press Release and the film clips on the BBC News are offered as confirmation. For those 200+ at Overton (and many others at locations between The Sidings and Skelton Bridge Junction - including Railway Media staff) and not just me who not only saw the line-up in the distance but were disturbed by the high pitch sound emanating from the hovering helicopter that took the BBC films I think it fair to say that the Press Release was false information.

Since I am one of many who was there and were more than disappointed it appears that this is could develop into a discussion without end so I will refrain from further comment. Suffice to note that I (and over 200 others) were led to believe an event would happen, it didn't, I have made my views known and I now leave it for posterity to judge whether my views are valid or whether we expected more than was promised or got less than was promised.

10. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Virgin doesn't have "East Coast History"

11. mrKnowwun

Retired
    Its amazing really. Network rail can find the planning and resources to get 4 trains together, run them long side each other for 6 miles, all on one of the busiest stretches of rail in the world.

Yet they can't tell you if the track is in the right place in the rest of the country.

Matt37401 likes this.
  12. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

The event happened, but not in the way you could reasonably have hoped. You have my sympathy, but are wise to bow out before you lose it...

Matt37401 likes this.
  13. Phil-d259

Phil-d259 Member

It was only possible because the ECML was SHUT north of Thirsk for engineering works and passengers were having to be bussed from York to Northallerton / Darlington anyway.

There is no way this PR stunt for Virgin (which is what it is basically to show off the new 'Azuma') would have been allowed to go ahead had the ECML been open to ordinary rail traffic - so no need to make snidey remarks about NR thank you.

Kje7812, zigzag, stuarttrains and 4 others like this.
  14. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

M'yes, but no, but...

Actually, they do, inasmuch as they are the present operators of what are soon to be 'heritage' sets - the 125s and 225s. They never have run Deltics on the ECML.

15. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    This event was a freebie though, ok you may have travelled to see it but nobody put a gun to your head and MADE you attend. As others have said you may not have got what you wanted but how many special events go exactly to plan on the day? As a free one off event methinks thou doth protest a little too much.

Jamessquared and Spamcan81 like this.
  16. mrKnowwun

Retired
    When Network Rail can keep the network in Gauge, I'll keep quiet. Until that time they will get all the snidey remarks they deserve.

Thank you.

17. mrKnowwun

Retired
    They are Current operators, they have only been current for two years and yet to make any significant changes. Thats not history in my book.

18. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

You definitely cannot blame Virgin for grabbing the opportunity for the event and I imagine that the inconvenience caused to 'normal business' from the line closure could well have been a bargaining chip that was used by Virgin when it was all muted. I also have some sympathy with the gauging argument. We understand what is going on. All gaps are being reduced to as little as possible and extra ballast plus track height adjustments are reducing clearances. Why the public just cannot learn to watch out for the gaps, defeats me. Other countries handle these issues in a different way - i.e. they leave things where they are. No sense of balance being achieved currently in my view and this is an issue that doesn't affect just steam.

19. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist

As I presume do the TWO railway magazine editors who chose to be south of The Sidings ? One was noted on Overton Bridge whilst the other was at Skelton Bridge after talking to the Press officers of both the NRM and Network Rail. However - as noted above - I refrain from further comment; why should the facts get in the way of criticising another poster ?

20. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

That's fine. Other folk see it differently - and in any case, the bill for this event will have been met by Virgin. He who pays the piper and all that...