If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Flying Scotsman at the Bluebell Railway: 13 - 19 April 2017

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Jamessquared, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Well the weather didn't last.

There are 2 carparks in fields near the line ( both seen from the line)

Rock Cutting - on the Eastern side of the line
    Freshfield Bank - near the Sloop Inn.

There are speed restriction in a least 2 places between Sheffield Park and Horsted Keynes.

10 mph shortly after leaving Sheffield Park until the line comes out of a wooded area on Freshfield Bank , just before Town Place bridge, and
    15mph from Monteswood Lane Bridge, not sure exactly where this end but before Waterworks bridge.

2. 73082

73082 Member

I believe it ends just to the north of Tremains Crossing.

3. Paul42

IMG_0051 edit 2 (1024x683).jpg

73082, Dan Hamblin and green five like this.
  4. Phil-d259

Phil-d259 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Which are two reasons why even those not enthraled by the FS should still be supporting its visit as the money generated will help in the removal of said speed restrictions by contributing towards track renewal in those areas.

Paul42, green five and mike1522 like this.
  5. 73082

73082 Member

My video from the day I spent on the line on Thursday. Hope you enjoy!

green five likes this.
  6. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Had a great day down the Railway yesterday although not as busy as I was expecting but still decent numbers. Finally got my first ride behind Scotsman, nearly 17 years after I first saw her. I did hear that someone jumped over the fencing on the pathway off of the North end of Platform 2 at Sheffield Park, to try and get a better photo of 60103 on its 10:00 departure and so was trespassing (I was at the end of Platform 1 so couldn't see anything).

I'll upload some pictures at some point over the weekend but a great event. Also had a run up to East Grinstead and back with 73082 before my 12:45 departure on 60103. Then took 847 to and from Horsted to see 60103 pass through.

7. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

A couple of questions. Do those of us travelling with 60103 get a souvenir booklet as I have seen people in pictures walking around with some sort of booklet with Scotsman on the front?
    Also roughly how long does it take to get in at East Grinstead? We have e-tickets which have to be scanned so that we can get the actual tickets to travel. Just trying to plan which train to catch to the Bluebell on Monday so that we have reasonable connection times when we get there.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

8. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Not sure in on your second question but in answer to your first the souvenir booklet costs £1 and can be bought at the booking windows or on platforms (you could buy them on the platforms at Sheffield Park and East Grinstead anyway).

green five likes this.
  9. Paul42

On Friday I went for the first train off East Grinstead, I have had an E-Ticket ( but not for 60103) it was scanned, no actual ticket given out. No queue.
    When there was a ticket check people justed showed their E-Ticket.

green five likes this.
  10. Paul42

I not enthraled by Scotsman but decided to book 2 days , a ticket for Scotsman on Monday, and a ticket for other trains yesterday to use the line to take some photos, incase it was difficult to park.

11. Paul42

I got the impression that some people are only travelling behind Scotsman or were if on the second or third Scotsman train were arriving in time for that. The Railway seem quiet early but got busier by lunch time. When I left at EGR at 2.10pm , the next train, which formed the feeder from East Grinstead for the 3.30pm Scotsman,train, people were still arriving.

12. Arun Valley

Arun Valley New Member

I (too) had a day out at the Bluebell yesterday (Good Friday). Travelled to Haywards Heath by train and walked to Freshfield - noting that there was strategic blocking of The Sloop's car park(s), however there was a field available. Saw 73082 (not to be confused with an Electro-Diesel :rolleyes:) returning to Sheffield Park, then 60103 in the early stages of her first trip of the day.

After that l spent the next few enjoyable hours gradually making my way up the line via mainly footpaths / access land, stopping at various locations to catch the trains as they went by before getting on a bus at East Grinstead.

Here are my pictures of the day (not sure if the locations given are 'official')...

60103 going Up at Freshfield
    60103_Up_Freshfield.JPG

60103 Going Down at Nobles Farm
    2-60103_Down_Nobles-Farm.JPG

847 Going North From Horsted Keynes
    3-847_Up_Horsted-Keynes.JPG

60103 Up at West Hoathly
    4-60103_Up_West-Hoathly.JPG

73082 Up at Mill Place
    5-73082_Up_Mill-Place.JPG

60103 Down at Mill Place
    6-60103_Down_Mill-Place.JPG

847 Up at Imberhorne Cutting
    7-847_Up-_Imberhorne-Cutting.JPG

Cheers
    -SC-

Dan Hill likes this.
  13. green five

Thanks Dan for your reply. It's much appreciated. I will definitely be buying one of those booklets.

14. green five

Thanks for your reply Paul. It is much appreciated.

15. Andy Louch

Andy Louch Member

Retired (best job I've ever had!)
    Just home following an excellent few hours at Horsted Keynes. Good show put on by Bluebell and trains (and the platforms at HK) seemed to be reasonably full without being rammed (this was up until I left at 1400).
    HK station was well managed by Bluebell volunteers and the security staff and the footbridge to the north of the station was reasonably popular allowing good views of trains for what seemed to be a large percentage of the more 'general public' in comparison with enthusiasts! Just shows the 'pulling power' of FS!
    Couple of observations:

1. The car park at HK was free and whilst well occupied had spaces available up until mid-afternoon at least.

2. Quite a few people I chatted with were put off with the £10 'platform ticket' to access HK. They didn't realise that you could have a 'free' brakevan ride whilst there (a collection bucket was being passed around). May I suggest that charging a fiver to park plus a fiver for access might be more acceptable? Personally £10 wasn't a problem for me, but a family of 4 might have issues?

3. First 'run through' by FS at 1015 through Platform 3 was somewhat spoilt by the Q which was running in parallel on P2! Not a problem for me on the bridge, but I gather there were a number of complaints on the platform as the view of FS was rather blocked! The driver of FS also put on a good show as the loco pulled away and it must have been quite a sight for those in the brakevan!

Note the above are not criticisms - I certainly enjoyed seeing FS for the first time in 20 odd years (last time I saw the loco was at the GWR and I can't recall the interest being currently raised being the same during that running spell!

Thanks Bluebell!!
    Andy

16. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    I went to Horsted to see 60103 pass through on the 3:30 service and took 847 on the 4:19pm back to Sheffield Park which was still busy as was the passing train (which was hauled by 30541 rather than 73082. 30541 attached to 73082's 2:56pm departure from Horsted).

I stayed until about 6:00pm and quite a few people stayed to see 60103 in the yard after hauling it's last service of the day.

I think a group was missing from our Scotsman train (it looked empty in one set of seats) and one person seemed to join at East Grinstead in our carriage.

17. Andy Louch

Andy Louch Member

Comparison snaps at HK....
    30541, 60103-5 Horsted Keynes 15042017.jpg 60103-15 Horsted Keynes 15042017.jpg

Jamessquared and Dan Hill like this.
  18. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
  19. Andy Louch

Andy Louch Member

Hi SM, excellent set of photos,thanks for sharing. Yes, the BTP officer certainly had a 'great gig' today!

20. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Nice set of photos. That's me on the Q class, my third day at the event (Thursday on the morning turn on FS; Friday the loco yard running foreman at Sheffield Park; Saturday on the Q). Today is a day of rest and re-aquaintance with my family! Thanks for all the comments and photos from everyone; it's been good to catch up having been mostly out of connection for the last few days.

Tom

35B and Martin Perry like this.