If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Fintown Railway, Co Donegal

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Reading General, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

I rather did wonder if Fintown was opreated by employees. It's how Kerry CC tried to run the T&B and failed and how they intend at some stage to run it again.

It can't work really, wage costs will eat away any hope of progression. at Tralee Aquadome they had to pay a guy to open and shut the level crossing gates and I fear that what they will do eventually is cut the line back to eliminate the crossing whereas the Society had tentative plans to extend the line along to the Rose Hotel with the support and encouragment of that Hotel.

30854 and andrewshimmin like this.
  2. 30854

30854 Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    If only there was a system to operate level crossing gates safely on heritage lines..... :Sorry:

Reading General likes this.
  3. 30854

30854 Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Foyle Valley Railway Museum - an update.

I spoke to Derry Tourist Services this morning (Monday 14th August). Regrettably, I have to confirm that the museum has now permanently closed. A portion of the site is now occupied by a Taxi firm.

There are exhibits remaining on site, but whether these are all inside the building, which is under lock and key, I've not established. The premises was, and remains, the property of Derry City Council.

I have not yet managed to contact the key holder, which, I was relieved to learn, is another local museum. I'll drop them an email and post an update on this thread when I get a reply.

The Saggin' Dragon likes this.