If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

ELR winter steam gala 18 & 19 Jan 2014

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 26D_M, Dec 30, 2013.

1. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Very attractive line up announced for this
    76084. 61264, 45407, 80080 and 49395.

2. D229

D229 New Member

Looks a good line up indeed. When are we likely to see the roster for this event ? Are there any plans for 76084 or 61264 to visit any other heritage lines this year ?

3. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Does look a good line up and I am considering a long overdue visit, but sadly the ELR website has no detail on this or fares information. This is very poor considering the event is just 3 weeks away and many people spend the Xmas / New year period planning their visits. I am not going to travel to Manchester unless I know how much it will cost me and what is going on. As an example, I have been able to purchase discounted gala tickets for the West Somerset Railway at the end of March in the last couple of days and their website has a huge amount of information for an event nearly 3 months away.

4. D229

D229 New Member

Does look a good line up and I am considering a long overdue visit, but sadly the ELR website has no detail on this or fares information. This is very poor considering the event is just 3 weeks away and many people spend the Xmas / New year period planning their visits. I am not going to travel to Manchester unless I know how much it will cost me and what is going on. As an example, I have been able to purchase discounted gala tickets for the West Somerset Railway at the end of March in the last couple of days and their website has a huge amount of information for an event nearly 3 months away.

It is one of the reasons why I asked about the roster !!!!

5. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

D229, don't you think you're being a bit OTT. How is anyone suppose to know if 76084 and 61264 won't be visiting another line during 2014? We are only on the 2nd day of 365 after all!

Gala adult rovers were £25 last year, may seem steep but the ELR is a cracking line and isn't all that much more really. A timetable is normally put up a few weeks before the event, and a loco roster added just a few days before.

6. D229

D229 New Member

Just a question, wouldn't really describe it as 'OTT' !!!!!!

7. Spencer

Spencer Guest

Just an answer, I thought your second post was somewhat over the top, but didn't want to be accused of being biased so left it for a while to let some-one else respond!
    I note that on another forum points have already been made regarding advertising of locos at the event commented on that have not (AFAIK) been confirmed, however that is up to the railway concerned. It will be interesting to see if the final line-up matches the current advertising, if it does, that's great and a good event, but if not, will D229 want his/her advance money back?
    The exact reason as to why the roster (as opposed to advertised and confirmed locos) is not as yet available is that the ELR tries to provide a free t/t and correct roster in advance of the gala, but in view of last minute problems of availability etc this sometimes is as tight as to be in the week beforehand - especially at this time of year when the ELR has just come off the back of carrying 34100 passengers on 96 Santa Specials. Now this might not be the right place to say this (but see the current Railway Magazine and an interview with Bill Ford of the GCR) but this type of operation has taken up an awful lot of volunteer/staff time and resource, but brings in far, far more money than any steam event could ever do and a steam roster and/or a t/t is a little way down on the priority list (especially with Christmas and then New Year intervening when some of us try to have a break and get our breath back.) Harsh but true!
    Locos confirmed (as on the web-site) are 76084, 61264, 49395, 45407, 80080, with probably 132 and 1370, and possibly 63395 (if ready in time- but we won't advertise that!)..... It would appear that 44871 was also originally shown, but am advised by Ian Riley that this loco is n/a, and will be removed from the web-site next week.
    The rover gala fare last year was actually £26, this year the ELR will introduce differing fares for different galas, a 'Band B' rover is £23 (a reduction of £3 on last years rover) and is the rover fare that will be applied to the Jan 18/19 event, full line in 2014 is £14 (concession £12.80) but please note that some other fares may now be withdrawn at galas. Full details will be placed on the web-site next week.

ELR bean-counter (we only have one)

8. hughesfowler

hughesfowler Member

We hope to imminently advise photographers as to early morning runpasts and a photographic evening. Something a bit different is also being worked on at the moment and if it comes of will give everybody something not done before . Sorry to be vague but its at planning at the moment and as soon as/if it comes of will advise as soon as we can.

9. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

It's suggested in one of the mags 76084 won't be allowed to leave the NNR once their season is underway, the ELR event is before they open for 2014.

10. andi

andi New Member

I'm hoping to have the timetable and loco diagrams finished for this week. Now should we charge for them like other railways?? Or maybe hand them out with a day rover ticket? Come on guys. Like all heritage railways. We are doing out best to keep you our important customers informed of what will happen.
    Hope to see you all there.

11. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Therefore it could go to a railway in say October/November?

12. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

NNR seasons runs till the end of October.

13. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Possibly, just repeating what was printed.

14. hughesfowler

hughesfowler Member

The East Lancashire Railway, in conjunction with Bury resident photo charter operators, 3P20 Parcels Group will once again be organising photographic opportunities associated with the Steam Event on Saturday and Sunday 18 and 19 January. These will concentrate on visiting locomotives Standard 4 76084 and B1 61264 together with resident Super D 49395, which it is anticipated will be making its final event appearance prior to the expiry of the boiler certificate

The first is a night shoot on shed at Buckley Wells, on the Friday evening 17 January preceding the main event, and will comprise two cameos featuring Super D 49395 and Standard 4 76084 followed by 76084 and B1 61264. The shoot will commence at 19.00 and conclude at 21.00. Cost is £15.00 per person payable on the night. Please enter the site by the main car park gates on Baron Street, park in the car park and report, from 18.15, to John Tate who will book you into the event. He will be located in the vicinity of the pair of gates at the south end of the shed.

This will be followed on the Saturday and Sunday morning by the early morning "mini photo charter" at Burrs (BL8 1DA). The train will leave Bury at 08.00 and is booked to arrive at Ramsbottom at 09.00. Sunrise is 08.15 and starts to clear the hill line at around 08.30/08.35. When the sun shines, the results are spectacular. If conditions are favourable, time will be tight and we may only get one run with the sun fully on the train, however, we will get in as many photo runs as we can in the allotted time, prior to and as the sun clears the hill.

Saturday features Super D 49395 as the train loco with Standard 4 76084 as the banking engine on a 17 vehicle freight train, comprising a mixed freight of box vans and open wagons, accompanied by an engineering train, recreating a typical scenario whereby BR would combine what were two separate trains if they were going to the same destination. 76084 as banking loco is highly appropriate, being a local engine based at Lower Darwen, where regular turns involved banking trains north east from Blackburn to Wilpshire summit and south to Sough tunnel.

On Sunday, the train will be hauled by B1 61264. Cost is £10.00 per person and members of 3P20 will be at the footpath crossing, collecting the money and handing out stickers as proof of payment. Please be at the crossing by 08.00. Should any further information be required, please contact event organiser Richard Newton at rnewton@rnassoc.co.uk

15. hughesfowler

hughesfowler Member

Regarding the early morning "mini photo charter" at Burrs on 18 and 19 January, as the gala moved forward a week a couple of years ago, we have reviewed the sunrise times in conjunction with the timetable. If conditions are favourable, time will be tight and we may only get one run with the sun fully on the train, however, we will get in as many photo runs as we can in the allotted time, prior to and as the sun clears the hill. Pre-sunrise mist, as with the Apple Green B1, can look very appealing."

16. Foxfield_Rich

Foxfield_Rich New Member

ELR Sales Manager
    Shake off those Winters blues with a right steamy treat.

The East Lancs Railway galas are always a great way to start the year and with two visiting engines to ride behind then it must be destination Bury this January.
    On the 18th & 19th our Winter Steam Gala takes centre stage during this quiet period of the year with a great line up of locomotives.

BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0No. 76084 will be visiting the railway for the very first time and will join B1 Class 61264 which is returning to railway after its last visit in 2004. These engines along with our own fleet will entertain throughout the weekend.
    76084 was built in the North West at Horwich works. It was then based in the North West for the 11 years of its operable life before being sold for scrap to the famous Barry Scrapyard! The visit of this engine is something of a homecoming and will be welcomed by visitors who remember the engine in its heyday.

LNER Thompson Class B1 61264is a little different being an eastern interloper. This engine spent most of its working life on the Great Eastern railway and was regularly handed one of the top turns, ‘The Scandinavian Boat Train’ before moving to Nottinghamshire where it ended its working life. The engine was sold for scrap in 1968 and saved for preservation in 1978.

Both of these engines will be welcome additions to our line-up which includes:

LNWR Class G2 Super D 0-8-0 No. 49395
    LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 No. 45407 'The Lancashire Fusilier'
    BR Standard Class 4 2-6-4 Tank No. 80080
    WD Austerity 0-6-0ST No. 132 'Sapper'
    Ticket tariff:
    One Day
    Adult - £23
    Conc - £20.50
    Children - £15
    Family - £60
    Two Day
    Adult - £41
    Conc - £37
    Children - £27

We hope you enjoy your day or even weekend.

More information will be available on our website in the next couple of days...
    www.eastlancsrailway.org.uk

17. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

The problem with leaving it so late to publish the timetable and roster is that we would like to visit but want to make quite sure we can get haulage with the two visiting engines before booking our non refundable rail tickets from Southampton, which are very expensive anyway.

So the earlier we see the detail the better. If its not published in advance then we wont be attending. I don't even mind paying for the info as long as I can get it far enough advance also to be able to get my rail tickets ie by about the end of this week.

Don

Robert Heath No.6 likes this.
  18. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    [ Pre-sunrise mist, as with the Apple Green B1, can look very appealing."[/quote]

That was a quick re-paint, I must have missed it, 61264 was black last time I saw it!

19. Foxfield_Rich

Foxfield_Rich New Member

ELR Sales Manager

Hi Don, we totally agree with you. We are working to get the timetable out as soon as possible but with having only just Christmas out the way we are a little pressed for time. rest assured we will have something out in the next few days.

Regards Rich

20. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager