If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Ecclesbourne Valley Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by martinr1, Sep 12, 2014.

1. AndyY

AndyY Member

I have to say that this large timber building would worry me from a fire-risk viewpoint - too many eggs all in the one basket!
    The concern is heightened by the recent vandal attacks on preserved railways. A wooden station building is just as vulnerable as coaching stock out in the open.
    I wonder what the insurance company view is?

Andy

2. mikechant

mikechant Member

Is it possible to treat timber to make it highly fire-resistant, so arson attacks would be unlikely to succeed?

3. AndyY

AndyY Member

I hope this is taken into account!
    Andy

4. Goldie

Goldie New Member

For my money, I'd go for a replica - if not of the original station building, then at least of a Midland Railway prototype. This a really important step for the EVR, and it's not just about providing better facilities. This will be the gateway to the railway for the majority of visitors, and the background for thousands of photographs. It will help determine whether the station site can convincingly be used for photo charters, and whether the railway can help create that illusion of taking people back in time.

In short, it will help make the difference between the EVR being a diverting afternoon out and a must see visitor attraction.

56092 and AndyY like this.
  5. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That's what I thought, the original station building wasn't too small either, but a wooden building is easier to construct, and they need the space for modern toilet facilities which the original probably cannot accommodate

6. AndyY

AndyY Member

Agreed, build something which will entice the film-makers to want to use it by looking as though it has always been there.
    Andy

7. 17B

17B New Member

Certainly is, apply intumescent paint/varnish to the timber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

Meanwhile TSO No.4440 has just arrived from the GWSR; it is a stripped out shell requiring a lot of work and must take its place in the queue, but our carriage team are achieving great things. Elsewhere the brick crossing box base at Idridgehay has been completed ready to take a new timber structure in traditional style, a similar base is to be built at Gorsey Bank.

Kinghambranch likes this.
  9. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

So much for predictions. TSO No.4440 seems to have fallen into the hands of one of our more militant C & W teams who have not only stripped out a large part of the body sides but have already begun welding new steel sections back in again. The underframes have been sandblasted and painted. Meanwhile, more prosaically, a large collection of concrete lego has arrived. Some of it has already been used to extend the platform where the weighbridge used to be, the new wall is set back a little to enable a more traditional face to be laid in due course. Behind the new wall the flat ground hides part of the foundations for the new station building.

Today is the second day of the autumn book sale, all second hand items half price. The EVRA shop is to be cleared away to make space for the new works.

Bluenosejohn and Kinghambranch like this.
  10. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

The concrete floor slabs for the new station building are being laid; these should be complete before the Santa Specials start, work on the building will then pause over the winter. Progress can be viewed on our webcams.

The brick base, for the second crossing box, at Gorsey Bank has been completed; the kits of parts for the box structures should arrive within the next two weeks.

Mick Thomas is making signals for use at Shottle, using new steel posts and salvaged fittings; the first two are well on the way to completion. If anyone has any surplus post fittings, or for that matter, just about any mechanical signalling items for disposal we would like to hear from them.

TSO No.4440 will be going into the maintenance facility shortly for fitting of new steel side panels; A CK has been completed and will be coming out to make the space.

Bookings for this year's Santa trains are much heavier, about double those of last year at this time.

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  11. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

The floor slabs for the station building are now complete

The crossing keepers cabins have been erected at Gorsey Bank and Idridgehay; there is still much to do before they are complete, meanwhile the first two signals have been completed and taken down to Shottle for erection.

TSO No.4440 has had several side panels welded into place; the windows are being refurbished ready to refit. The LMS brake and Derek Mason's Mk1 brake are also making good progress.

The hire of 47406 for the 2018 season is confirmed; it will arrive for the Whit Bank Holiday weekend and stay until the beginning of August, with about 24 days in steam. We had an increase in passenger traffic of around 40% this year, at least partly due to the efforts of our ordinary members as "guerrilla marketeers" on social media sites. We aim to do even better next year. The 2018 timetable has already been printed.

Also on the steam side there is a reasonable chance that Bagnall 2746 will steam during the year - regular reports of the work are posed on the "Industrial Updates" thread.

There will be an open day for prospective volunteers on Saturday 17th February.

Corbs and Bluenosejohn like this.
  12. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

The first signal has been erected at Shottle and the second will be up shortly. Mick Thomas is planning to make a bracket signal next, but if anyone has one surplus we would like to hear from them. We have just bid successfully for a 7 lever ground frame at Derby, a very rare disposal of useable mechanical signal equipment by Network Rail. Mike Fairburn and the track gang have cut the main line for full renewal of a section at Duffield: new rails sleepers and ballast. The various carriage teams are in full swing already; there is a good chance that the LMS brake will be outshopped later in the year, three other coaches will be going for wheel turning before the season starts.

The Open Day on 17th February will feature presentations and guided tours of the various projects at Wirksworth, with a DMU running on the day. New members signing up on the day travel half fare.

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  13. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    Any pics of signal Tim? Always good to see old tech being made anew, especially noting how hard it is for many heritage lines to get second hand bits nowadays, I recall a chap making a brand new rolled and welded signal for his garden not long back, cost an arm and a leg, looks nice though,he sent me some pics of the finished job, so it's good to see railways and folks making stuff in 2018

14. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

I have not been able to get a picture of our new signals yet; the 7 lever frame has now arrived form "Slum Siding"!! at Derby and may well be used temporarily at Wirksworth. Meanwhile the PW team have assembled the stretch of replacement track at Duffield after a deep dig, just in time for a tamper to arrive on a testing/training contract. Another small TH diesel is due to arrive very shortly. One of our visitors has changed: the visiting Diesel Hydraulic for the March Diesel Weekend will now be Warship Class D832 Onslaught.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  15. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    D7076 I imagine probably still needs a few jobs completing as it'll have had some winter maintenance.

Having a tamper on the line for a bit will be beneficial for both parties too.

16. mikechant

mikechant Member

Deleted - wrong thread.

17. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

[​IMG]

One of the newly fabricated signals now erected at Shottle, picture courtesy of Richard Buckby. Oddingley Box awaits attention in the distance, and will be re-erected on the opposite side of the tracks. The next job is to fabricate a bracket signal; if anyone has any surplus post furniture of other mechanical signalling equipment to dispose of, we will put it to good use.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Corbs and Bluenosejohn like this.
  18. kestreleyes

kestreleyes Well-Known Member

signal engineer
    Looks alright that Tim, ps if you want some copies of LMS plans for building a bracket I have them in PDF,il email them across to you

19. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

Panoramic shot of the Maintenance Facility at Wirksworth by Neil Ferguson-Lee last Saturday Not sure if the full panoramic shot will upload. From left to right:
    The Duke with newly-fitted bunker;
    Cathryn, awaiting boiler;
    Class 33 'Swordfish' being repainted;
    Faraday undergoing heavy maintenance bordering on a full restoration

Behind The Duke and Cathryn are the railway's two BSK carriages: to the left "Derek's" BSK(K) with the food preparation and serving kitchen and to the right, EVRA's recently-acquired BSK.

See more
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gav106 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  20. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

08 704 our first visiting locomotive this year has arrived ready for the Diesel Gala Weekend, 17/18 March. It is expected to be working brake van rides on the Ravenstor Incline.

[​IMG]

Ranked Page photos
    in Mobil

Gav106 likes this.