If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, thank you

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by shredder1, Apr 11, 2009.

1. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant
    Thank you everyone for an absoultely fanstastic day yesterday, it really was a great privillage to meet so many help, friendly and really lovely staff, you really made my day. To anyone who has not yet visited the railway, it really is a must, the EVR has achieve so much in very little time, a lovely set up encompassing a lot of history. The line is divided into two sections, a ru8n up a 1in 30 to the base of an incline plane at Ravenstor, where passengers can alight for a short walk up the plane to the National Stone centre and observed former abstration and quarrying workings in the area. The route south operated by another service presently runs down as far as Idridehay, although by september next year it looks very likely that the line will continue to join the main line at Duffield, with stations alone the route at Shottle and Hazelwood. The EVR has achieved so much in so little time is really has to be seen to be believed and the future looks very good for this organisation.

A present the line is operated by a number of different classes of first generation DMUs, yesterdays running included an excellents restored prototype Derby single car lightweight, the last of two build, which still survives, a single car Glouster motorbrake was operating on the Ravenstor. A class 31 and D8001 was in the year, along with a good selection of diesel shunters and rolling stock, which included rolling stock displays which you can enter, of interest was a former south region coach containing films of the areas history. The station also has an excellent second hand book shop and visitors centre. A day rover costs an amazing £7.50, much less than what you would expect to pay for a line and two routes of this quality.

I was lucky in that yesterday the EVR opened the narrow gauge railway on the site of a former narrow gauge operation, with a rich history, the local dignatries had opened the event on on entering the restruant car on the station for lunch, I was invited to a large and well prepared buffet, completely free of charge, I was also given the privillage of touring the diesel depot and yard. Much history is in evidence on the EVR originally intended as a through route, joining the Midland Manchester route at Rowsey. I can`t praise the staff enough on the EVR, they really are some of the nicest people you are likely to meet, and cant do enough for you and they will really make you have a lovely visit.

thank you again EVR for a fantastic day and thanks also for the free lunch, it was excellent, and iot was lovely to meet such nice and friendly people, I`ll certainly be back. =D>

2. Jdwitts

Jdwitts New Member

I stumbled across this line almost by accident last summer while cycling along the High Peak trail, which of course follows the route of the Cromford and High Peak Line and passes the National Stone Centre. It really is an excellent afternoon out, was thoroughly impressed with the setup and even got a chance to drive one of the diesel shunters for an extra fiver. =D> Another 'hidden gem' for anyone visiting Ecclesbourne who can make the rather steep climb up the old incline at Ravenstor(!) is the narrow gauge Steeple Grange Light Railway, which is also located near the Stone Centre along the High Peak trail.

3. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant
    yes indeed I missed the Steeple Grange, its built on a former C&HP branch isnt it?

4. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I think it is yes

5. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant
    yes just checked the map, it is. Its a fasinating area, we managed to get to Middleton Top shed just before closure of the C&HP Railway, I was only about 13 at the time but still remember it quite clearly, we walked the old C&HP a few years ago, all 33 miles of it from Whalley bridge, bugsworth basin.

6. ernestgew

ernestgew Member

Yeh it does look like a really nice railway, I think you could have some great fun with that grade there! Just need to get some proper steam loco's to test it out and get some proper traction in! Ummm... would really like to hear a 42xx going up there pulling along all your electric carriages :)

Must say, for DMU's they do sound good there though!

7. pcgenius9

pcgenius9 Member

IT
    I was disappointed to miss this event due to illness after I had put so much time and effort into organising it. But thank you for the kind comments and call back again soon!

8. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant
    Hope you are well again and yes I most definately will, keep up the excellent work =D>