If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

East Lancashire Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Nick Gough, May 20, 2009.

1. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

I am making my first visit to the ELR tomorrow (Thursday).
    Could someone tell me where the engine shed is please?
    Is it possible to visit?

2. Columbine

Columbine Member

The engine shed is at Bury, but I'm pretty sure it's not possible to visit it.

Regards

3. Nick Gough

Thanks Columbine.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] [​IMG]

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Buckley Wells is the main site, but it's closed to the public with high metal security fencing all round (it's a bit of an exposed chav attack area)..

if your bored and want a wander you may get a glimpse of something hanging around.. (about 15 minute walk).

from Bolton St Station, turn right, past the carpark entrance to the next major road.. turn right down that street again and keep going straight until you reach the dual carriage way.. cross over it here and you start to head down hill and over the Heywood line.
    (On your right you will see a small car park with a good view of the Heywood ramp coming out of Bolton st, and South signal box.)
    Keep going down the hill you'll see the main road to manchester curving to the left, and a small side street going straight on.. take the side street and an almost immediate right turning down a narrow lane.. the road turns rough..
    On one side is Bury (BQ) EMU depot (aka ELR Steam Shed / Rileys works), on the other is the Diesel / Carriage Shed.
    Walk down to the level crossing and you can see the up and down lines.

I'm sure you'll see something interesting around there.

the "other" shed is the Bury Transport Musuem yard.. Ive not been here for years but if it's still open..

from Bolton st station.. walk straight across the street in front of you into the carpark, top left corner of the carpark is the stairs to the yard..
    There's all kinds of scrap and bits dumped around here...7229's rusting tanks in the weeds I recall, some parts dating back to 34027's restoration in the mid-1980s! You'll probably find a few diesels parked around the 3 lane Diesel shed... worth a look, but i'm not sure if it's still open to the public either.

5. Spencer

Spencer Guest

Long time since you've been then ADB 968008 - BTM closed in 2003 but is in receipt of a substantial HLF grant - currently being rebuilt and will re-open late this year/early next year.
    Little now left in Castlecroft diesel shed - most locos are kept in the stack at Baron Street due to the whole area being needed for the BTM restoration.
    Today located at Castlecroft were D7076, W55001 (just returned form Llangolen), D335 - being fuelled for weekend use, 08944 in the shed with D9531 and Planet, with the NI 'Paddy Thumper' 8099 awaiting movement to Baron Street having been re-bogied to 4 foot 8 and a bit. The Mark 3 sleeper was lifted earier this week and now resides at Baron Street.

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I thought that Paddy Thumper was bought for spares / scrap ? Has it got a future ?

7. Spencer

Spencer Guest

No, apparently power unit has been removed for spares and body will be used for mess room until more permanent facilities provided.

8. Nick Gough

Thanks for the suggestions ADB968008. Unfortunately I'd left Bury by the time you posted.
    I did have two pleasant return journeys to Rawtenstall, behind the 'Jinty' though.