If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

East Hayling Light Railway First Diesel and Goods Train Gala

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 4073, Apr 27, 2009.

1. 4073

4073 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi All

The East Hayling Light Railway (aka, The Hayling Seaside Railway) is to run its' first Diesel and Goods Train Gala on Sunday May 10th. The railways' operating fleet of locos will be hauling the lines fleet of wagons all day, along side the regular passenger service. The line which runs for a mile along the seafront of Hayling Island, is unfenced for most of is route making it easy for all to do their line side photography.

This is a great chance to see all of the lines rolling stock operating on the same day, as well a great little narrow gauge railway (2' gauge), which although not a preserved railway as such, it is a true original English narrow gauge railway operating in the 21st century.

I've attach a photo of the railways first mixed train, chartered for a birthday treat, which (if I can persuade the owner) I hope to run again at the gala.

The Portsmouth Dockyard is holding its' Celebration of Steam event on the same weekend, so why not visit both events.

The official press release is below, and the railways website is at http://www.haylingseasiderailway.com/HSR.html

The Hayling Seaside Railway Diesel and Goods Train Gala

SUNDAY 10th MAY, Hayling Island, Hants, PO11 0AG.

The Hayling Seaside Railway is a diesel worked narrow gauge light railway, running for one mile through open seafront land offering great photographic opportunities, from Beachlands station next to the Funland Amusement Park, along the coast of Hayling Bay via Mengham Road station, to the seaside village of Eastoke Corner on Hayling Island in Hampshire.

On Sunday 10th May 2009 the privately owned, volunteer run line will be holding its first ever ‘enthusiast themed’ event, as subject to availability the railway’s historic diesel locomotives take to the rails, to operate an intensive service of passenger and ‘heritage’ industrial goods trains throughout the day.

The H.S.R’s current fleet of working locomotives.

Unique former East Hayling Light Railway ‘Tyrone’ Class 0-4-0 Victorian style steam outline diesel hydraulic No: 3 “Jack”, the only Ford engined member of its class, built in 1988 by Alan Keef Engineering of Ross-on-Wye. Our regular assenger locomotive now celebrating its 21st year in Hayling service.

Ex Ffestiniog and Gartell Light Railway four wheeled ‘11/13hp 2VTO’ diesel mechanical locomotive No: 4 “Alistair”, built in 1940 by Ruston & Hornsby of Lincoln, a classic industrial workhorse which helped build the Llyn Ystradau deviation on the world famous Ffestiniog Railway in Wales.

Ex South Western Tunnelling & Mining Company and Severn-Trent Water Board four wheeled ‘LBT’ class diesel mechanical No: 5 “Edwin”, built in 1967, also by Ruston & Hornsby of Lincoln but to a more modern design, extensively rebuilt in 2007 from derelict condition at the H.S.R’s Beachlands Depot.

Also on display will be Former Ibstock Brick Company ex Wormley and later Hambledon Brickworks four wheeled diesel mechanical No: 1 “Alan B” (ex “Ace”). Originally constructed by Moto-Rail/Simplex of Bedford in 1937. Already heavily rebuilt on arrival at Hayling from its original form, this locomotive is currently being rebuilt as a Deutz-engined diesel hydraulic passenger locomotive.

A display of components and photographs from the ‘Hayling Billy Steam Locomotive Project’, showing the progress being made by the volunteers of the Hayling Railway Society, in constructing the first full size narrow gauge steam locomotive ever to be built on Hayling Island, heavily influenced by the classic designs of W.G. Bagnall of Stafford.

Passenger and Heritage Goods Trains.

Regular passenger trains will be formed of classic wooden bodied ‘bogie’ carriages, built in the Hayling Seaside Railway’s own workshops on ex Trentham Gardens and Alton Towers underframes, originally constructed in the 1930’s by E. E. Baguley Ltd of Burton on Trent.

Non passenger carrying ‘goods’ trains will operate between passenger services, formed from the line’s fleet of industrial goods wagons produced by such historic light railway rolling stock suppliers as Robert Hudson & Co. of Leeds and W. G. Allen & Sons of Tipton, Staffordshire. Refurbished on Hayling Island by the Hayling Railway Society’s junior volunteers.

Passenger Train Times and Fares.

Passenger trains will leave Beachlands station next to the Funland Amusement Park, Hayling Island (PO11 0AG), at 10 am and then every 45 minutes from 11 am to 5 pm. (Subject to weather) They will leave from Eastoke Corner station opposite the Lifeboat Inn (PO11 9HL) approximately 20 minutes later.

NORMAL RETURN FARES APPLY - Adult £3.50, Children and Senior Citizens £2, Family (2 adult + 2 Children) £7 Children 3 and under and well behaved dogs carried FREE!

There is no charge to view or photograph the Heritage Goods Trains, but visitors are invited to show their appreciation by travelling on the regular passenger services and/or by making an appropriate donation to the ‘Hayling Billy Steam Locomotive Fund’.

2. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Sounds good. I think I'll whip across from Pompey for this.

Steve

3. 4073

4073 New Member

Hi Steve

I'm glad you can come, this is the first time we have publicly announced that everything will be running, so the more people the we can get to come, the more likely we will hold the event again next year.

We are also going to have a visiting loco for the event, another first for the line. "Hounslow" a new petrol-hydrostatic loco from the Hampton & Kempton Waterworks Railway will be coming for trials. Their own line is short, so they want to come down to us for a good test. It is unlikely to be on passenger trains, but it should be running at the gala. Our last resent contact with them, they were still on for bringing "Hounslow" to the railway, but this could change at short notice.

For those coming by train (Havant Station) and bus, make sure you get the "Plus Bus" on your train ticket covering Hayling Island. Leave the bus at Beachlands, you will know where this is as you will be next the drop ride in the fun fair, as seen in the photo above. The station is behind the roller coaster.

4. kjedwards

kjedwards New Member

Just a taster of next Sunday for you! Two rustons, one alan keef Tyrone’ Class loco "Jack" and one visiting petrol loco!

5. 4073

4073 New Member

Here's another taster for Sunday.

6. 4073

4073 New Member

Here's a few photos from the gala.

The Gala ran well without any major problems, only Alistair deciding not to idle properly and having to be stopped after its' third run. The Hampton & Kempton Waterworks Railway guys enjoyed themselves giving Hounslow a good test, as well as going away with a few ideas to improve Hounslow.

The gala should be repeated again in the future, and the goods train might go out again on Sunday at the Vintage Transport Day. Also when the young lads can persuade the owner to run it.

7. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Nice photos, many thanks.

8. 4073

4073 New Member

9. so does anyone have any more details about the hayling builly project?

10. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Looked Great
    I had to work in the end so I'm a bit gutted I couldn't go. I'm still local so I'll pop down soon.
    The carriages & wagons look up together as well. Is the LBSCR coach body at Lower Tye Farm still being conv/narrowed for you guys?

Steve

11. 4073

4073 New Member

The steam loco project is coming along, with the frames complete with hornguides fitted. Many components for the motion have been made and the axle boxes are in the process on being machined. The material for the axles are waiting to be machined and the wheels are the next major component to be cast. The project is being made by as much volunteer labour as possible, with it costing about £9000 - £12000. The railway shop is funding the project, along with donations. The photo below shows the frames taken at the end of last year.

[attachment=0:1gkhuhfd]EHLR851.JPG[/attachment:1gkhuhfd]

Only one of the LBSCR coach bodies is owned by the railway, and the project has been put on hold due to the amount of work that needs doing and other jobs that need doing at the railway. It is still likely to happen, but in a few years time.

12. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Cool, what sort of loco will it be? I'm going to guess a Wren?

13. 4073

4073 New Member

It's a bit bigger that a Wren. It's based on the 5" Sweet Pea drawings at 5-1 scale, a Bagnall like Pixie but with Hackworth valve gear.

14. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Oh great that's a nice idea.

15. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    The artists impression I saw many moons ago looked cracking!