If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Draughting arrangements for Bulleid Pacifics including the Giesl ejector

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by jamesd, Oct 14, 2014.

1. jamesd

jamesd Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I've been watching a few videos of 34092 in action and it certainly sounds different to a standard rebuilt but does it actually alter the performance? I assume it was originally fitted to improve the steaming and as it has been retained following its rebuilding, it must be considered a success. If it has improved performance, why aren't other Bulleids fitted with them?

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Possibly because the owners consider that the performance is already good enough? Just a wild stab in the dark ... :)

3. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Another claim for the Giesl ejector is that it reduces the tendency of the smoke to cling to the side of the loco and so give the crew better forward vision. If this has proved to be true in daily use, then it would be worth considering. If not, then it's probably not worth the difficulty and expense. It's not as though any steam loco owner is short of difficulties and expenses!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    You're not wrong there.

5. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    If my memory serves, the Geisel was fitted on the insistence of BR, purely to lift the exhaust to improve forward vision, the other benefit, ie fuel saving is said to be marginal, but this, coupled with the damper fitted ashpan may become more significant and should show a greater water saving.

6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Are you sure about the BR connection? Why would they insist on a Giesl ejector on 34092 but not on any other main line Bulleid?

Black Jim likes this.
  7. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Possibly some confusion with the story of the fitting of a Giesl to 34064?

8. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    Because it was the first in preservation, as far as I am aware 'Tangmere' came after the demise of BR, I will ask Richard Greenwood tho and check.

9. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

That's as I understand it as well. Fighter Command emerged in the spring of 1962 with the modification and it was an immediate success, helping with steaming and also providing a much stronger exhaust that improved forward vision. The device came from Austria and was tweaked at Eastleigh before fitting. If you want to read a locoman's view of how effective it was then go to: http://svsfilm.com/nineelms/giesl.htm

rule55 and andalfi1 like this.
  10. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    That is precisely why BR insisted on it, simply because of its efficacy, I doubt people would believe the difficulties the owners had to overcome and the hoops they had to jump through to get her on the main line, but with various 'friends' like the great Dick Hardy and others, we eventually did the Engine & coach test run, Carnforth, Hellifield return on that bloody awful, windy day, think it was November '81.

Black Jim and rule55 like this.
  11. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    Do you think they would insist on on putting a Giesl on one of their own rebuilds ?

12. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

Any improved exhaust system is worth considering particularly in light of the vacuum loss due to spark arresters. After all you want your locomotive to steam freely. Then you have the power bonus. You have to remember that 34092 was far and away the first Bulleid to return to the mainline from the scrap lines. The fitting of this ejector was judged to give the locomotive a valuable extra haulage capacity, worth two extra coaches if memory serves. It would be interesting to see if a double Lempor might be fitted one day.

13. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

One of the issues with the unrebuilt design apart from the forward vision problem due to drifting exhaust was that, although the boilers allowed them to steam well they could be heavy on coal consumption and not brilliant on combustion, hence the colour of the exhaust (seen regularly nowadays on Tangmere especially when burning poor coal). From the outset there was a question mark over the front end design of the locomotives so whilst the modification to Fighter Command came too late to help the rest of the unrebuilts, fortunately City of Wells lives on in its tweaked form. Assuming that West Coast crews get to operate her on the main line at some point, I'm pretty confident that all bets will be off if they are asked to compare 67 with 92 in the future.

mike1522 and Black Jim like this.
  14. 34014

34014 Member

Retired
    I remember 34064 getting hers fitted and the sound was quite unique on BR at the time. I also talked to her crew on three different occasions and they were impressed with her performance. A pity it came too late in the day to warrant the expense of fitting out more Loco's. However; if there had been ten more years of steam to come i think the remaining originals would have all been rebuilt and then we wouldn't have Tanger's, 34007 et al running in original form today and 34092 with ejector fitted. Personally i'm happy with the way things turned out as steam ended and Dai Woodham became a hero, albeit an unintentional one !

Black Jim likes this.
  15. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    An excellent article was published during the late 80's in Railway World covering the modifications made to City of Wells. This article was an in-depth study of the fitment of the Giesl ejector to 34092 and the enhanced performance that was achieved. IFRC, analysis was made of runs on the mainline pre-fitment of the ejector and after, which showed a significant improvement in the locos performance up the banks and over the hills of the North. Apologies, but being a far from home at present, I haven't access to my magazine collection to refer directly to it, however, if someone reading this can perhaps dig it up, it will provide most of the answers to the questions above.

Cheers

Alan

16. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    As far as I can remember! 34092 only ran few mainline tours prior to fitting, I do remember helicoiling the threads in the smokebox saddle for the multiple nozzle blastpipe, but can't remember when. dammit?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  17. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    iirc The Le maitre system dimensions for Merchant Navy and the WC/BB's are the same, but given the different exhaust volumes for the two classes the effectiveness of the system differs , with the blast considered too soft on the smaller locos. The fact that any of these ' Proprietry' exhaust systems has to be tailored to fit the individual class of Locomotive, and also what you want it to achieve Draught/backpressure wise seems to have gone over the heads of BR and 'Big 4' CME'S. I do think its a good show that at least one (potentially) mainline standard gauge loco is carrying a correctly proportioned closed ejector systems

18. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

i'm sure Dr. Adolph Giesl-Gieslingen. would appreciate his invention being correctly named

34092 seemed to have been considered transformed by the application and was noted to be more economical on the KWVR as a result

Sir Nigel Gresley likes this.
  19. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    It is now.......

20. JJG Koopmans

JJG Koopmans Member

Just joined this forum. As far as I am concerned the original Bulleid-Lemaitre front-end
    is incorrectly proportioned. A redesign would give practically identical performance to
    the Giesl without the external change and related costs.
    Kind regards
    Jos Koopmans

Sheff and ragl like this.