If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Derailment ZLSM in Holland

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Breva, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    An interesting little film here on the rerailing of two derailed coaches as they were pulled out of the ZLSM tourist line at Simpelveld in Holland.
    https://l1.nl/l1nws-terugzetten-van-ontspoorde-wagons-van-de-zlsm-blijkt-helse-klus-132955/
    One theory is that a chock was forgotten as the train was pulled out of the shed (as per on line article)

Spot the surprise at the end!

2. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    They are not having a good time of it - I seem to recall reading their licence to run beyond their own metals on to NS tracks had expired without a renewal being applied for.

Nice line, in one of the Netherlands few 'hilly' areas.

Steven

3. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Former colleagues of mine in Holland speculate whether the jack went through the floor of the carriage. These K1 type carriages date back to the 1930s and water running into the window slots accumulates on top of the frame below, causing rusting.
    IIRC the licence issue revolved around the need for mainline trained drivers on ProRail metals. They are hard to come by on a museum line, on a daily basis.

The club also has an Austerity under overhaul from scrapyard condition. It's an original WW2 one.

One of the few hills.... I would say the only hill ! Building the line was such an adventure for the Dutch, used to perfectly flat polderland, that they called the ZLSM the Million Line, in view of its much higher cost at the time of its construction. Nice brand name now though.