If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dartmouth Steam Railway General Discusssion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by TorbayTrains, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Load 11?! Bloody hell! What did they use for that?

2. TorbayTrains

TorbayTrains Member

5239 was in charge of the train yesterday and managed quite easily!

We run a normal set as 7 and add additional if needed. It's just that is busy at the moment with a mixture of turn up passengers and coach groups. We've gone up to 13 before, that requires the 25 to do a shunt release at Kingswear and Paignton along with the service engine.

3. DeccerGW

DeccerGW New Member

I'm heading down to Devon on Holiday on the 20th for the week, is 7820 due to be in service the week after it arrives?

4. TorbayTrains

TorbayTrains Member

I believe 7820 will be having pre-service checks that week so it won't be in service. It might go out on test runs during that week but unsure as of yet so you will probably see it out and about.

DeccerGW likes this.
  5. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If you do have a minute to update us all on its possible use, that would be great. I'm making a flying visit to the West Country next weekend (Travelling back on Monday 22nd ) and might make a slight diversion via Torbay if either 7820 or 7827 will be in use.

Thanks

6. DeccerGW

DeccerGW New Member

Ah never mind, seen it a few times before so I know what i'm missing haha. Love the resident fleet enough anyway so i'll still be having a day out for sure!

7. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Any further news on this? Just waiting confirmation on my accodmation booking and I should be down for the weekend.
    Any idea if multi-day event Rovers will be available?

8. joe_issitt

joe_issitt New Member

Ex-Boiler Maker
    A few of us at the Epping Ongar Railway spent the morning cleaning 7820 before it was picked up this afternoon by the hauliers. When I left about 1545, the tender was loaded and the engine wasn't far behind. Hopefully the P&DR will enjoy the manor as much as we did! It's a cracking engine, and a credit to the owners and the people that overhauled it.

Here's a picture in platform three at North Weald after cleaning and before being split for the low loader image.jpg

9. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Joe, I am sure you will see some pics of 7820 Dinmore Manor and 7827 Lydham Manor (resident engine) when they are both operating, particularly on the same days, here on the DSR.

10. DeccerGW

DeccerGW New Member

Does anyone know whats in service next week? Thanks in advance.

11. TorbayTrains

TorbayTrains Member

7820 Dinmore Manor has safely arrived at the railway a day early! She is currently in the workshop at Churston and will be hauling her first trains at the Beer Festival which will be a great event for people who like Manors, which should be everyone! ;)

12. TorbayTrains

TorbayTrains Member

The Timetable for the Beer Festival has also been announced. 7827 and 7820 will run on all three days with D7535 doing three late trips on Friday and Saturday. On Sunday is where things get interesting, 7827 & 7820 double heading on FOUR trains with 7827 doing a solo final trip.

Attached Files:

Paul42, lil Bear and Chris86 like this.
  13. TorbayTrains

TorbayTrains Member

7827 is in service this weekend with the Nenta Railtours Torbay Coast Boat Train visiting tomorrow with x2 47/57s. 7820 is currently sat outside Churston workshop which is easily viewable from the train and Churston station.

14. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

7820 is presently at Paignton, but I believe she is in the shed there.
    7827 and 4277 are working hard, as usual, today.

15. TorbayTrains

TorbayTrains Member

A small update for you all, 7820 Dinmore Manor was out and about on Tuesday doing a gauging and test run down to Kingswear before double heading an afternoon service train with 4277 to Paignton. All went well and is now and she is currently in the shed a Paignton waiting to have a washout before starting service.

In other news, next Saturday D9009 Alycidon is visiting the line with a Pathfinders charter from Derby. Still waiting to get confirmed timings but expecting arrival at Paignton between 13:00/13:30. It will be the first Deltic to visit the line in a number of years so it's something to look forward to.

Just in case you haven't heard, the Cathedrals Express on Tuesday (31st) has been postponed to later in the year TBC.

16. DeccerGW

DeccerGW New Member

Was there on Tuesday and just managed to catch 7820 arriving into Kingswear then rode it to Goodrington Sands, the noise from the Manor was incredible! A nice surprise and a definite highlight of my holiday. Here are a couple of pics!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  17. TorbayTrains

TorbayTrains Member

Beer Festival Update!!!

Please note this isn't as yet confirmed.

Friday - the last departure has moved to 23:00 in order to meet the last mainline train out of Paignton. 7820 & 7827 will be running during the day.

Saturday - D7535 will be doing a few trips during the day as well as the evening services. 03s D2192 & D2371 will do a return trip on the line late afternoon/early evening. 7820 & 7827 will also doublehead on a trip as well.

Sunday - 7827 & 7820 will still doublehead throughout the day. Both locos will be turned during the day to allow for more photographic opportunities. They will both get turns piloting each other. D7535 will also be doing three round trips of the line during the day as well.

This will make the beer festival more in to a gala event with two engines which are yet to make there passenger debuts on the line.

I will post the timetables which are in the works as soon as they are released but please remember this is provisional TBC.

lil Bear and JBTEvans like this.
  18. coalboy

coalboy New Member

19. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

The new timetable for Sunday is up on the site, and the amends have been made to the Fri/Sat trains, but the loco roster has gone, hope it comes back soon!

20. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    I believe it is 7820 and 7827 turn and turn about during the day on Friday and Class 25 D7535 working the three evening trips.

Saturday the plan was for 7820 and 7827 to work the majority of the daytime trains, with one afternoon service run as a pair. The 25 would work two trips in the daytime, then the evening with the exception of one round trip from Kingswear when both Class 03 shunters would work a trip.

Sunday it is 7820+7827 doubleheaded, both loco's turning during the day to give two runs from Paignton and two from Kingswear with each leading each other. The 25 does three trips in between.

JBTEvans likes this.