If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cumbrian Mountain Express 13/5/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 1020 Shireman, May 4, 2017.

1. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Uninspiring return journey. 43m20s Carlisle to Appleby, max 61. Appleby to Ais Gill was somewhat pedestrian. 17m37s to Kirkby Stephen, passed at only 33. Birkett Tnl 33; min of 31 at mp264 1/4. Rallied a bit to 35 at mp262 then fell away to 31 over Ais Gill Viaduct and 30 at mp260. Time to mp260 a poor 29m24s. Checked to 17 at mp19, a mile from Whalley Station. 44 at midde of arches; 34 thriugh Langho; 30 into the tunnel with what felt like a slip (we were 10 back). Speed had fallen to 26 through the old Wilpshire Station and was 28 through Ramsgreave and Wilpshire. Few mph below expectation all day. Still we got to Farington Jn 8 early. Waiting to leave now. Left 14 down. Brake issue.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  2. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    We've got two threads for same train. Can moderators combine??? Times on other thread!

3. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    Scot CME 1b.jpg

With a drain cock blowing and a big change in the weather, LMS 7P Class 4-6-0 No. 46115 'Scots Guardsman' works 1Z86 'The Cumbrian Mountain Express' away from Oxenholme on the climb to Grayrigg

Scot CME 3b.jpg

Seconds before and seconds afterwards this shot would have been in full sun, at least the drain cock had been fettled, LMS 7P Class 4-6-0 No. 46115 'Scots Guardsman' works 1Z87 'The Cumbrian Mountain Express' towards Kirkby Stephen

60017, Mick45305, steam man and 7 others like this.
  4. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Seems like a good day for catching up on household chores lol xx

5. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

13/05/2017 - LMS Roval Scot Class 4-6-0 - 46115 "Scots Guardsman" rounding the curve on the approach to Wilpshire Tunnel with a returning Cumbrian Mountain Express DSC_15614.jpg

6. walkerp1

walkerp1 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  7. MIKEP

MIKEP New Member

Anyone reading this report might think it was a disappointing day. Far from it! I booked following the discount offer last week and the three of us had a most enjoyable day. Above all we had pure steam with not a diesel in sight. For your information the BBC Songs of Praise team were filming on the return. They also had cameras attached to 46115. The programme with David Grant I understand will be aired in two weeks time.

8. GBoreham

GBoreham Member

Footage of 46115 running through sunny Dentdale and not so sunny Pleasington earlier.

9. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, but as the train was right time or early throughout surely it's the timings that are "uninspiring" rather than the performance?

andalfi1 and MellishR like this.
  10. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    You're right as far as the 'on time' goes. As long as the big railway does its thing and service trains are on time, the paths are easily achievable. What I'm saying is that we've had many really good performances over both Shap and the S&C in the same time slots for a number of years which is why the CMEs are so popular with the enthusiasts. In my opinion they are really pushing the limits taking on the route with 12 heavy coaches and a Scot in the last year of its ticket. The performance is showing that. 12 heavy Mk1s is the load for a Class 8.

11. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    The Cumbrian Mountain Express 13 May 2017 – 46115 Scots Guardsman hauling 11+POB

After the tinder dry conditions for the previous CME (22 April) and there having been no rain in the NW in intervening period, I decided to try and help, so I washed the car, cleaned the windows and watered the garden. Lo and behold, on Friday we had 8 hours of steady rain and it was raining again on Saturday morning.

The rain had stopped when I left home and set out for Preston, Mrs W was not travelling (again); I told her she was becoming a bit of a slacker (brave or foolish – time will tell). Les Ross (the loco) arrived in Preston 4E, a considerable improvement on last time. I took my seat half way along coach J (second coach from the front (third when the POB was added)). Fancying a ride behind the Duchess, I was undecided whether to book on this CME or next week’s; it mattered not as both were subsequently allocated to SG.

Into Carnforth loop for the loco change, a quick check on RTT and the TP Manchester Airport to Edinburgh was running on time and so the possibility of a clear run – unbelievable! Just under 2L we were away with Steve Chipperfield driving and Rob Russell? firing. [Apologies if this name is incorrect but my hearing is not what it once was]. From the outset SG had a blowing draincock. The ascent of Yealand Bank was steady around 30 (topped 32). Speed built steadily and just before Milnthorpe we peaked at 64 falling to 63 under the road bridge. Speed fell steadily as Grayrigg began to bite; a long whistle before Oxenholme and through the station 3L at 51. SG continued to work up the gradient, without sounding like it was being extended, Grayrigg was topped at 38. Now to gather some speed through the Lune Gorge, before Tebay we managed a mile or so above 70 with a very short peak of 72. 68 under the M6, 58 under the road bridge at Greenholm, then past “the gallery” and down to 43 at Scout Green. Speed fell away as the gradient (1/75r) continued and SG growled its way past MP37¼ at 26 and then slipped. We were around 3½L at the summit. From MP26 to MP37¼ had taken 13m 19s.

There then followed a quick run down to Carlisle, speed was generally in the mid to high 70s with a max of 79 before Clifton. We were RT through Penrith at a shade under 70; the quick run continued culminating in a 4E arrival in platform 3 at Carlisle.

Off to the Woodrow Wilson for lunch, a stroll round the city centre and back in plenty of time for our 14.40 departure. SG was already coupled to the southern end of the train and technicians were attaching cameras to various points on the loco; a “luvvie” was talking to various RTC and WCR personnel – something for BBC’s Songs of Praise.

RT Steve Chipperfield got us underway with Bob Bullock firing. Even from 11 coaches back the sound of the blowing draincock had been cured/gone away. As often seems the way the start was steady; 2 miles out we were under the M6 at 29. The gradient profile to Appleby is uphill but with a couple of short downhill sections. This section was a model for good time keeping without over extending the loco or resorting to high speeds in the dips. Howe & Co RT (40), Low House RT (49), Armathwaite RT (56), Lazonby & Kirkoswald 2E (59), Langwathby 1E (46), Culgaith 2E (52), Kirkby Thore 4E (55). We touched 60 at Long Marton with a max of just under 63 in the dip before Lazonby. All culminating in a 4½E arrival in Appleby for water (and ice cream). After walking through the train, I got held up by the film crew and missed spotting the lady with the ice cream – so that’s both ears and eyes that are shot! Carlisle to Appleby in 43m 20s (booked time 48m)

We were away 1E and took advantage of the short downhill and crossed Ormside viaduct at 54; then it is uphill for 15 miles. Once again another model piece of timekeeping, at all the intermediate timing points we were RT except Helm Tunnel 3E (44) and Kirkby Stephen 1E (33). Where the gradient eases to 1/330r past Mallerstang speed rose to 37 and we passed the Ais Gill summit board at 32 quickly rising to 34 as more of the train ran down the hill. Minimum was a shade under 30. Appleby to Ais Gill 29m 53s (booked time 29m). An acceleration down the hill and by Garsdale we were up to 55 again RT. We went through Rise Hill Tunnel and Dentdale looked splendid in the early evening sunshine, through the tunnel, over the viaduct, down the hill and into Hellifield loop for our final water stop.

We left Hellifield loop a few seconds early and slowly crossed over to the Blackburn line. On 22 April with the late running CME Steve Chipperfield made mincemeat of the (generous) booked time to Blackburn taking 20 minutes from the 61 allowed; this time he was allowed 48. Could he do it? Yes, he could! We made steady progress towards Horrocksford Jn where we slowed to 18, was a service train running late? No, all was well and we made our way through Clitheroe station (5E) at a sedate 24 before gradually accelerating to 44 as we left the town. We then slowed to 17 as we passed Clitheroe Golf Club (there is a crossing around here). By Whalley Station (5E) we reached 47 and across the Arches. It is now uphill (1/82r) so no option but to open her up, good noise even way back here. Langho was passed 5E (34), the gradient was biting as it changes from 1/81r to 1/88r then 1/66r through Wilpshire Tunnel (29 into the tunnel and 27 out), 28 past the old Wilpshire station and 27 through Ramsgreave and Wilpshire (6E). A gentle drift down the hill and into platform 4 at Blackburn (4E) and then watch SG depart down the Preston line. Just a 15 minute wait for the Blackpool South Pacer and a rattle and shake back to Preston (arr 18.31).

So, not the Duchess and not an exceptional performance by SG – but none was required. The trip was “just what it said on the tin.” Over a week ago RTC announced it would be SG and it was, it would be 12 coaches and it was. Les Ross was fit again, WC ran everything to time (precisely to time). We’d had some rain to allay fire risk – so no diesel. It didn’t rain on the day. It has to be judged a good day – and so it was. My thanks to all those who organised and executed it.

There is often something inside those of us who enjoy witnessing and recording locomotive performance that wants an exceptional run every time, but it doesn’t happen that way. I buy raffle tickets every trip but have never won, which must prove that I’m not a lucky person so, as I’m not on next week’s CME, be prepared for something good – but don’t be disappointed if it’s “only average”, just enjoy it and be thankful that main line steam is still running in 2017 – for, as we say around here, “Who’d ‘a thowt it”.

12. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the footage from this run has been aired on Songs of Praise yet?

13. MIKEP

MIKEP New Member

Not yet! It was due on a couple of weeks ago but the scheduling was changed following the Manchester bombing. Hopefully it will air in the next couple of weeks.

14. iancawthorne

Thanks Mike, I thought that might have been the case. Had a quick scan through this evenings to check!

15. iancawthorne