If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cumbrian Coast Express 25/03/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by gricerdon, Mar 14, 2017.

1. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Got tickets for this today. Looks like a repeat of 4th March which I should have been on as I have yet to be hauled by a Jub over Shap northbound. I should know by now not to miss out on chances like that when I could have gone. Anyhow its going to be 11 again and lets hope its 46599 with no DL. Northbound over Shap plus the Cumbrian Coast will feature in my column for Heritage Railway 228 due out on 4th May.

2. charterboy

charterboy New Member

Letter mentions 46115 Scots Guardsman as the rostered loco

Also stock showing as A to K but would presume a kitchen car in consist for Premier Dining and then support coach added at Carnforth which would make load 12 ?

Hopefully Melton North will be able to confirm whether unassisted steam or not as letter doesn't advise either way

3. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We're booked on this too and when I first attempted to book first class I was told it was sold out, but got a call a week later to say there were extra seats available, so it could possibly be load 12. My ticket also say's 46115, which would make sense if it's load 12, although I reckon a Jube could handle 12.

4. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

11 would be over the load limit for a Jubilee and 12 over for 46115 though I have no doubt that either could take 12. Whether that happens is another matter. Double headed Jubilees?

5. charterboy

charterboy New Member

Well since both Galatea and Leander have been active this time around there's not been double headed jubilees.......but tell me where that tour is and I'm sure you would quickly sell it ;-)

torgormaig likes this.
  6. charterboy

charterboy New Member

So will the extra coach which has no doubt resulted in extra profit for the promoter result in diesel shovage for the punters booked on it?

And for Gricerdon, why would you add a coach to then use 2 steam locos as you double your steaming cost for only a small increase in passengers and takings

It'll be single headed steam as per the ticket letter

7. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

If the new load demands an assisting loco, the commercially ethical thing would be for it to be steam.

Dobbs0054 and railrover like this.
  8. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

I was merely speculating more in hope than expectation. I agree that is most likely to be one loco which almost certainly means DL assistance which in turn means we wont be on it, assuming we know in advance. Depends I suppose how serious RTC and WCR are about pure steam. Recent signs are that they realise how important it is to the gricing minority on their trains

9. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

There is only the climb of Shap to worry about and a Scot has taken 12 before so it's just a question of whether at this time of year West Coast judges that the conditions are acceptable. By way of comparison, I had Scots Guardsman over Shap with 12 on in April 2014. 41 at Grayrigg, 72 before Tebay, 24 over Shap and a bit quick down the other side. But we needed to be quick as we were released late from Carnforth and the Pendo was up our tail light, but we didn't delay it.

So I would be optimistic as I genuinely don't believe that West Coast adds a diesel for fun or to be spiteful. The rubbing point will always be that what the enthusiasts think is ok is not necessarily what West Coast sees as operationally necessary or safe.

RalphW and andalfi1 like this.
  10. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I suspect that it's a bit of a dilemma for RTC. If seats are being sold owing to greater confidence that a tour will be pure steam and this allows an extra coach to be added to increase revenue but necessitates a diesel, there is an obvious risk of damaging the new confidence. I have an interest as I booked this on the grounds that it was likely to be pure steam.

11. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

Looking at past WCME/CME's originating from Euston, it's pretty rare to see a diesel added on the back, my guess being the added time shunting at Carnforth something to avoid. I'd be optimistic that if WCRC let Galatea go over Shap the other week with 11 on solo, they would be happy to let the Scot take 12 unassisted.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Paul42 and andalfi1 like this.
  12. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

@meltonnorth , to his credit, has been trying to restore confidence in the market. He has posted on here that a number of tours will be pure steam. I applaud that.

He needs to clarify this tour to confirm the new policy of pure steam to maintain that improvement in confidence. The next step would be to make statements on the website in advance to attract more advance bookings.

13. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Indeed as we did

14. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

45699 is down to work the Steam Dreams trip out of Victoria on 21st. Will it just come down for this? I doubt it so 46115 looks likely for the CCE. Steam Dreams are saying this will be DL free. Has Marcus got the message at last?

26D_M likes this.
  15. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Reported in another thread that Galatea will work the CathEx to Bristol on 1st April, too. Given the date, I think it's appropriate to start a rumour that she'll be repainted malachite green with Sunshine lettering for this trip. The denizens of Carnforth have been so impressed by 34081. :D

MellishR and mike1522 like this.
  16. meltonnorth

meltonnorth New Member

It's very unusual to have steam, diesel and electric on the same tour and very expensive.
    So unless we have a failure it should be pure steam.

alastair, Dobbs0054, Big Al and 5 others like this.
  17. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

After rather a nondescript winter it's looking good for Saturday. I was out walking in the South Lakes today and snow was down to 1200 feet. So the picture when you go round that bend at Lowgill and the Howgills come into view should be good-- as should the view up Eskdale to the Scafells from the coast. Enjoy!

18. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Any sightings of 46115 today?

19. LMarsh1987

TBC
    36/37 over Grayrigg

Bodorganboy likes this.
  20. LMarsh1987