If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6201, her new lease of life.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Sidmouth, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not if it hadn't been steamed

60017 likes this.
  2. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    Could the limited information in the public domain at this stage be down to discussions going on in the background regarding why this has occurred, for instance if contractors were involved in the boiler works these could be owner - contractor discussions regarding advice and warranty? or likewise with suppliers of the tubes if they were replaced and have failed this soon - ultimately it needs doing so they need the money but were they to wait with the appeal until all the i's we dotted and the t's crossed on causation she could be months of not years further into her ticket before the appeal even started?

3. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

That assumes normal use though, in the first 18 months or so it barely moved or even steamed being confined to Tyseley, No way would that inflict anything like 4 years of wear you'd expect from from a mainline loco racking up mileage and steaming cycles.

I don't think it's unfair to suggest 6023 probably has more mileage and boiler cycles on it in this ticket than 6201 currently.

4. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

In formal terms isn't the first witnessed hydraulic test when the clock starts ticking from or even the point of last full internal exam? You would expect an examiner to account for lack of use when setting the schedule though, I quite agree. Just observing that simply because it was recertified last year does not mean it has used less than12 months of boiler life.

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    No.

6. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Fullsome reply much appreciated. Most informative and I stand utterly corrected.

Spinner likes this.
  7. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

I think 6201 had a partial retube last ticket which ran to 10 years . It may have been deemed from examination those tubes were still satisfactory and did not need replacing

I think we all have the idea that an overhaul is a last nut and bolt strip down , which is fine if you have abundant funds and labour . The reality is probably rather different with work done based on funds available to get the loco back in traffic , earning and then attend to the next work as and when it is needed

all the above and thread is idle speculation and the harsh reality is that6201 now needs additional work to return to Main Line again . Without funds the risk is she sits in west shed alongside her sister (good company at least) . I also suspect this reality is also going to affect other main line locomotives in the care of small groups as we go forward

I've put my hand in my pocket ... Will you

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    mike1522 likes this.
  8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

As I understand, there is no absolute prescription, but there is best practice guidance. The "Competent Person" (typically reporting on behalf of the insurance company) has to conduct a thorough examination of the boiler while cold, and then in steam. Once they have seen the boiler in steam to their satisfaction, they sign off operation until some date in the future - but there is no clock per se, just the date that they write on the inspection report beyond which operation of the boiler is prohibited. The "in steam" examination has to happen as soon as is reasonably practical after the cold examination, but again there is no explicit time scale. Those examinations would occur according to a written scheme of examination, typically annually.

The "ten yearly" is also best practice, not statute. The precise wording is that "no part of the boiler should remain completely unexamined for longer than the time determined by the competent person" and goes on to clarify that best practice indicates that that would be ten years. But ultimately it is down to the judgement of the competent person; they may recommend less or, in some cases, allow a modest extension. Normally the Competent Person will have been consulted during any overhaul or repairs of the boiler, (and those repairs have to be documented) so they will form their judgement based both on what they see on the day and what they know about the previous history and operation of the boiler.

Operation on the mainline may have additional regulations which I don't know about in any detail.

Tom

9. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    Done :)

10. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Sorry I wasn't more specific. There's an awful lot of misconception about boiler tickets and I know I don't understand all of the nuances involved.

11. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    6201 could be placed alongside 46235 at Think Tank in Brum as an example of development, then the hordes would be clamouring for her release......battens down the hatches

12. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    In my experience it comes down to a sensible discussion between the Owner and the Competent Person. For main line registered locos, I've quoted MT276 and the seven year requirement but this document is a BR one and dates from 1984 and precedes both the Pressure Systems Regulations 2000 and its 1988 predecessor. I think that it is really down to the VAB, who may use MT276 as a basis for assessment in the absence of anything else.

26D_M likes this.
  13. NSWGR 3827

NSWGR 3827 New Member

Fitter & Machineist
    After reading many comments with regard to inspections and tube life, I am posting this link which I have posted before and if you haven't already seen it, it is well worth watching and gives examples of just how long tubes can last.

242A1 likes this.
  14. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

I must have missed this the first time around. Have you trialed Tross stays as yet? Martyn Bane, who used to post on this forum, tried to interest people in water treatment based on TIA/Porta type thinking but with negligible result. In the U.K. people generally adhere to the view that nothing is an advance on what was done in the past, particularly when it comes to steam. But they sure bleat about the cost of running the machines. But, hey ho, nothing new will ever work.

15. Steve

I've watched it twice now and don't think there is too much to learn
    The big thing about the Porta treatment regime is the length of operation without draining the water. In the UK, any suggestion of running more than 30 days without an internal examination is really a non-starter. This is easily achieved with present water treatment regimes, so why change?

16. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

So our boilers have stays that don't suffer from corrosion etc. etc. Face it people would rather spend money, frequently not their own, rather than change from what they know.

NSWGR 3827 likes this.
  17. Steve

Did I say anything about not using water treatment? Read what I said before jumping in. Porta treatment is just one method of treating boilers. There are plenty of others.

S.A.C. Martin and LMS2968 like this.
  18. Argus

Argus New Member

From what ive heard from people close to the engine, the first statement in this post seems to pretty much summarise the situation.....

19. Argus

Argus New Member

Apparently as part of an agreed ongoing plan with the boiler competent person / insurance company, the small tubes were always going to be changed at this point in time as they are just severn years old now! Having first been used in the loco in 2010....
    At the overhaul all the flues were removed along with sufficient small tubes to enable the boiler inspector to gain access through the dome to undertake a thorough internal exam of the boiler, the rest of the small tubes were still in place and had only had three years service at that point in time......
    The hydraulic test was undertaken in 2014.
    Unfortunately it took rather longer than hoped to raise the funds required to complete the overhaul and the loco basically stood for the next two years other than the odd Tys open day.
    Sadly it seems now that the loco didnt manage to raise enough money through its operations to fund its upkeep, and is now stood again awaiting funding.....

20. NSWGR 3827

NSWGR 3827 New Member

Fitter & Machineist
    I would suggest if Tubes are having to be replaced so frequently there is a substantial amount to learn.