If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Craig & Mertonford Railway

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by houghtonga, Mar 6, 2010.

1. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Is there anyone else on here who has been inspired into model railways by (Phillip) P.D. Hancock's Craig & Mertonford Railway?

OK I confess that I was born in 1979 but I have been busy collecting many old copies of the Railway Modeller to read about his exploits after reading his book "Narrow Gauge Adventure".
    http://fairlightworks.blogspot.com/2008/11/inspiration-craig-mertonford.html

His articles for me were inspiring, he did not waffle on for pages about how to build a baseboard but instead narrated the story of building his layouts with humour and giving a sense of adventure to what would otherwise be a dry subject.

His model of the Lynton & Barnstable 2-6-2T, named "Alistair" has got to be the most iconic model locomoive ever having been on the front cover of Railway Modeller by at least five times!

Best wishes,
    Gareth

Charles Martel likes this.
  2. Achar2001

Achar2001 New Member

Motoring and Rail Journalist and Editor
    P D Hancock is still with us. He phoned me last year not long after I started editing 16mm Today, the magazine for modellers in 16mm scale narrow gauge. I must admit I answered the phone with "What THE P D Hancock?"

Andrew C

houghtonga and Charles Martel like this.
  3. rod335

rod335 New Member

I have only just discovered this site. Of course, Philip is no longer with us now and I understand the bulk of his remaining models passed to Lee Marsh (including Alistair).

I corresponded on and off with Philip since 1963 when I was 13 years old and at that time he gave me 'Moira'. I only met him once, going to Edinburgh to visit him, which in retrospect, I think, embarassed him greatly, that anyone should think him worth the effort of visiting. I don't think there are any small-scale railway modellers today who have not been influenced in some way by his works, even if only at second or third hand. I believe all small-scale railway modellers in this country have been influnced, post war, by John Ahearn, Peter Denny, Philip Hancock and Cyril Freezer in his capacity as editor of Railway Modeller. Subsequent to visiting Philip, he gifted 'Duncan' to me and told me, in his inimitable style, that he had 'spoken to Lord Craig and he's given you carte blanche to do what you want with it.' Truly, they broke the mould.

4. Steaming around

Steaming around New Member

Just found this thread...I, like many was inspired by PDH (and Peter Denny + CJF + Allan Downes) and managed to contact him through his friend's email before he passed away. I have most of the RM articles of his Craigshire and the 1975 book - in fact I've taken that around the world. Even now his level of modelling detail is breathtaking and something that many of us aspire to. I notice that Dundreich is now preserved by E&L MRC and running - any news on attempts to restore the harbour area? I'm NG in the garden and a 16mm soc member - and a 4mm in the garage just for fun.

houghtonga and Charles Martel like this.
  5. Steaming around

Did PDH write any articles for 16mm Today and if so which numbers - I would like to get them. You have published my layout several years ago - but it has grown since! Thanks

6. rod335

rod335 New Member

Dundriech, whilst still the property of ELMRC, is in the custody and control of Malcolm McCleod and appeared at the recent 009 Society 40th birthday convention, operating with original CMR rolling stock and NINE original CMR locos, seven lent by Lee Marsh and two that are my property, along with two replica locos I have built using original body castings. There are even photos of Alistair running on my layout, only, I believe, the second layout it has run on apart from the CMR in it's various incarnations. Interest in the CMR still remains intense, in certain quarters at least. Sadly, on the occasion I visited Philip, whilst he was quite talkative, the only subject he was not prepared to converse on was his own modelling history. Interestingly, although Dundriech is 'well stuffed' with cameos and figures, etc, it is the only such layout I've seen that pulls this off and doesn't look contrived. The other striking thing was the total blending of colours, everything looked 'right' together.

Charles Martel and houghtonga like this.
  7. Steaming around

Have you any photos/links on the restored Dundreich and Alistair - I have seen Malcolm's extensive photos of the parts of Craig? What PDH said to me was that he was flattered anyone should remember Craig which was dismantled so long ago and that he was busy in the garden. Interesting because I had done the same - but even so am hankering to build my own Craigshire indoors one day - but am presently helping a friend from Wimborne Railway Society build a modern image layout in his 20x45ft purpoise built room. PDH told a story with his modelling - admirable!

8. rod335

rod335 New Member

There will be ample photographs in the next 009 news, if you are not already a member, a good enough reason for joining! Lots of photos have already been posted on NGRM online, have you seen these yet?

9. Steaming around

Thanks again - I'll look at NGRM online - I'm not a 009 member but I belong to so much else - why not!

10. Dunwurken

Dunwurken New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    As is usual whilst searching for something else I happened across this thread. As Rod335 has already pointed out part of the CMR still exists and I am the custodian. I thought it might be helpful topost links to the photographs on my picasa album and the numerous photographs taken by Mick Thornton at the 009 Society 40th Anniversary Convention at Kegworth in Sept 2013.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Mick61...tember2013Part4#slideshow/5935108487354013426
    Malcolm