If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Courage 1786

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by copperlid, Jan 15, 2009.

1. copperlid

copperlid New Member

Hunslet diesel 1786 aka Courage started it's life at the Brewery of John Courage in Alton until moving to Middleton which has been it's home ever since. Due to it's lack of power it's use has been limited to galas and light shunting and has therefore been a little forgotten.
    This intriguing loco has now been moved into our workshop for a full repaint and general spruce up. This project is being undertaken by the 'youth' at Middleton. The topic of youth at preserved railways does appear to be a very active one on this forum and I say with Pride(and yes, at nearly 26, I am still youth) that we have been entrusted with this project from start to finish.
    The only dilemma we have is that nobody appears to know what colour it originally was. Research is proving difficult but we do have a few clues. If anyone can shed any light on this it would be appreciated.
    And now for the really good news. The loco will be making an appearance, complete with shiny new paint job, at the Hunslet Homecoming Gala later in the year alongside visiting 05 D2578.
    As we don't normally get to see these projects in detail and progressing so quickly I will endeavour to keep you all updated as to it's progress.
    Here it is in the initial stages.

Hayley[attachment=0:3bhvjvtt]PICT0300.JPG[/attachment:3bhvjvtt]

2. ahardy

ahardy Member

Im really enjoying working on this and working with the people involved. As a few of us had a free day today we managed to get a fair bit done.

Anyway, to give you some idea of size, here is a photo of it taken at our last gala in September:

[​IMG]
    Photo by Ian Dobson.

Im sure Copperlid will update with some photos of todays work and the plan for the loco.

Andy

3. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    Have to say that was a highlight when I went to the gala in September. I also have two videos of it somewhere which I must get up loaded at some point!

4. ahardy

ahardy Member

Please do, we would love to see them. Im hoping its going to have a larger role at the diesel gala along with resident Hunslet "John Alcock" and visiting Hunslet D2578.

5. copperlid

copperlid New Member

Progress is coming along nicely and we have just been given permission to paint the body Deep red as our company colour and also coincidentally the Courage brewery colour. There is the possibility this was the original colour but if not we feel it will compliment our current collection of locos and stock and is an appropriate homage to it's history.

6. Drewry Car

Drewry Car Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Musn't forget to fit it with a horn - or find the look out trumpet - or find someone who can blow a real trumpet hard...

Ian 'not the youth I once was' Dobson

7. ahardy

ahardy Member

Well I could fit it with a horn but there are not many places to fit it too!. I know where the look out horn is, and as a muscian who plays the trumpet I think I could manage that!

Andy

8. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Its a nice looking bit of kit; am I mistaken, or am I right in thinking it took a trip 'home' to the Mid Hants a good few years ago now? I seem to remember seeing it there.

9. copperlid

copperlid New Member

You are correct. According to our records it visited in 94. It's good to see someone appreciating it.

10. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Thanks.

I've got to admit, I'm quite partial to these 'basic' industrial diesels; can't wait to get stuck into overhauling our Fowler. As far as I'm concerned, they've got a simple, unassuming charm about them. And there's not too much on them to go wrong!

11. copperlid

copperlid New Member

Progress is being made at a rapid rate. Our merry band of youngsters have been working away over the last couple of days and now the main bulk is in undercoat of which our paint splattered hands are the proof. Note the fetching Pink undercoat on the wheels. What are the chances of them letting me keep it that way?(after all I am a girl)

12. ahardy

ahardy Member

Yes it is looking rather nice. Cant wait to see it in red. I have some time of uni over the next few weeks so hoping I can get a few more days in before the end of the month.

Andy

13. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Driving the thing is an art in itself. The gear lever also operates the clutch. You select the first of its two gears and slowly let the clutch in with your hand. The other hand is meanwhile easing the throttle to give the engine some revs. At the same time your third hand is winding off the handbrake if you're starting on a gradient. I don't have three hands so I tend to operate the throttle with my elbow! Oh, and your leg is wrapped around the forward reverse lever to prevent it jumping out of gear. Not sure how I'd cope if I needed to operate the sands at the same time!

14. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    It originally had a brass bell. Stolen many years ago...

15. ahardy

ahardy Member

Can we have an MIC on it? Its one loco I would LOVE to get passed out on when its completed.

16. batemanan

batemanan New Member

Consultant Engineer
    Any chance of rustling up another brass bell? Would finish the loco off nicely, and means we can get rid of that blasted horn! No one can hear it anyway!

17. Drewry Car

Drewry Car Member

Judging by Steve's earlier comments it would probably be better to keep the horn - at least it leaves both hands free!

If only we had known we wanted a bell when 1369 was visiting the other year... :smt077

18. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    If you need at least three arms and two legs to get this thing going, how would you ring the bell, exactly?

Talking about bells, isn't King George V at the NRM in York now? ... just a thought.

Richard

19. Drewry Car

Drewry Car Member

Just remembered, doesn't DSB385 in the Engine House have a bell?
    "Dear Steam Power Trust..."

That said I'm sure 6000 wouldn't miss that hunk of brass off the front, didn't 4472 have one in Oz though? That might make it more important to the NRM... :smt077

20. batemanan

batemanan New Member

Consultant Engineer
    Thats what a second man is for! Chief bell ringer!!

Painted the frames with Andy last night, never has such a camp looking engine been seen! Pink undercoat, black frames! Brilliant! If only we could keep it in that colour...