If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Colour footage of North Wales Narrow Gauge in 1956 (?)

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Corbs, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Another facebook find, this rather delightful bit of film, hosted on the BFI website. As far as I can tell it's not been posted up on here before.

It's called 'Their Purpose Served and is marked as 1977 but looks to have been shot in the 1950s.

http://player.bfi.or...qyT__E.facebook

It includes shot of a rather butchered 'Russell' at the beginning, and plenty of lovely colour footage of the Penrhyn Quarry Railway (still carrying slate), Vale of Rheidol (under BR ownership with early crests in evidence), early-preservation Ffestiniog with 'Prince' and 'Livingston Thompson' aka 'Taliesin' in primer working trains across the Cob, and pre-closure Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway.

ragl, Steve, Spamcan81 and 2 others like this.
  2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A good find. From memory, the W&L shut in 1956 so I'd say it dates from about 1955. Need to check when TR No.3 was turned to face east. It could be a compilation filmed over several years, though.

Corbs likes this.
  3. LesterBrown

LesterBrown Member

Corbs likes this.
  4. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    And this one.......

nick glanf and Corbs like this.
  5. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

The F.R. shots are evidently taken at different times. We are told that W&LLR 823 did not run after early February 1956, leaving 822 to continue until closure in November of that year.

I have never seen any film of 823 in B.R. days before or of all four cattle vans in service together/

Paul H

6. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I suspect the V of R shots may also have been taken on two separate occasions as the stock first appears in faded carmine & cream then later in chocolate & cream introduced from 1956.
    Ray.

7. talyllyn1

talyllyn1 Member

The TR clips are from two different years and possibly three. The first shows Pat Whitehouse (in white decorators overall) clipping tickets. A very slim Tom Rolt is observing and walking towards the loco. Rolt was General Manager in 1951-2, but there is no platform at Wharf in the film. This was built in the winter of 1951-2, so this rare clip must be 1951. The TR Brown Marshalls coaches are still in pre-preservation livery.
    No 6 Douglas was delivered to the TR in 1953, and No 3 Sir Haydn was tried in traffic again in 1953 following some improvements to the track. Note that No 3 still hasn't had side buffers fitted.
    Russell wasn't delivered to Towyn (as it was then) until August 1955.

LesterBrown and Corbs like this.
  8. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member