If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Coast to Coast Express, 10/06/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Bulleid Pacific, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Monopodmansdad

Monopodmansdad New Member

Looking at Rtt again and it left only 20 minutes late. No mention of the l/e toCarnforth though.

2. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The train passed me near Bolton Percy on time but I'd noticed the signal was still at amber when I was leaving, so I'm assuming must have stopped for something around Ulleskelf.

3. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    45690 75L at Castleford.

4. Monopodmansdad

Monopodmansdad New Member

Thanks. I was hoping to see the l/e on Copy Pit but I'll not bother now

5. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

45690 Copy pit, 20-10. 53L

6. charterboy

charterboy New Member

Track isues getting into the loop at Milford I'm led to believe caused the delay. No issues with Leander

7. 61994

61994 Member

acw71000, 26D_M and Mick45305 like this.
  8. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

Crossing the River Wharfe......LINK

9. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    If I recall there have been problems there previously, points 'failing'.

10. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I remember a mammoth trip in March 2015, which had 45407 and 45690 doing Man Vic to Carlisle, then back through Durham and Rochdale, with 45407 coming off at Brighouse. Everything fine as far as getting into Milford loop was concerned, but the points failed whilst the locos were detached for water. Took an hour to sort out, and as I had a connecting service train back to York and an early start the following morning, I had to bail out at Wakefield and intercept my train at Leeds.

Two things emerged from this trip:

1. It spurred me to get a smartphone, as I had to ask others for potential train times from Manchester.

2. I think it was the trip that caused 45690's support crew, of which a considerable number are members of the Beet family, to request that 45690 return direct to Carnforth at a convenient point on the return if a post-midnight finish was in play.

11. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I'm sure that you are right on that observation about the hours that Leander's support crew are, and more to the point, are not prepared to work. It was true of the C2C in 2016 and has applied again this year. Quite right too. We may sigh when DBC pulls the plug on extended days for their own crews because of the hours involved - I remember that a Cathedrals Explorer in Scotland had a hiccup over that very matter - but, actually, this is just good practice. Latterly WCRC has come into line on that, I believe, and apologies if that has always been the case.

12. 61994

61994 Member

Whats the reasoning behind no steam tours over Standedge? I know 60103 ran a couple of LE moves over there last year so surely something must fit over the route still?

13. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I recall from previous correspondence on the matter that there is a possible hourly path over Standedge. However (I don't remember 60103 going that way- could you help with providing a date?), I'd assume that LE moves are slightly less risky for this route's timetable than a full railtour; with the latter, there's the problem of delays earlier in the tour conspiring to miss the slot, and waiting an hour for the next opportunity with passengers on the route just isn't an option. Equally, gauging problems with the locomotives most likely to be used on the route has been cited, although these days, this might be official speak for 'we're not interested in sending you over this particular hill'.

14. 61994

61994 Member

7th June 2016 was one of the dates as I saw it on Stockport viaduct can't remember the second one.
    Thanks for the info, makes a lot of sense even if it is a shame

15. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Yes there's one slot an hour each way weekdays (eg xx39 from Stalybridge eastbound). But some of those slots are taken by freight trains. Maybe Sundays might be a bit better? Of course when HS3 is built it will all be different!

16. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Of course the trouble is now we have tours being squeezed at both ends. We have NR (perhaps to put people off and make them financially not viable) producing stupid o'clock departure times like the C2C was and people cancelling because of it (or so the RTC discount email said), and support crews, many who like me are the wrong side of sixty saying, (quite rightly) they are no longer happy with days that are between 18 and 24 hours.
    I do not know what the "rules" are, if there are any, about how long volunteer support crews can work. Volunteers generally in whatever arena, not just railways always seems a very grey area around conditions, meal breaks etc.

17. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    The problem is not the hours worked by volunteers per se but - AIUI - many volunteers are also full-time railway staff whose hours are restricted with specific restrictions on "rest periods" and a delayed steam charter may invoke these restrictions for individuals.

18. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Like that Toni,obviously to much thought gone into the shot for the West Coast appreciation society to like it lol:Sour:

19. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Footage from yesterday featuring LMS 5XP No.45690 'Leander' at Kirkham Priory with the return trip.

Video Available Here

[​IMG]

Mick45305 and henrywinskill like this.
  20. peckett

peckett Member

Work is just a distance memory for me ,but I seem to remember the working time directive calls for a max of 48 hours per week ,13 hour max in one day ,must have 11 hours off between shifts, a break of half hour(or was it one hour spilt up) AWAY from the place of work. One complete day off a week ,or two days together in two weeks. Don't know how or if it includes volunteers. I may be well out by now though.