If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Closed(?) Preservation Centres

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by 22A, Jul 3, 2009.

1. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    I was looking back through the 1979 edition of H C Casserley's "Preserved Locomotives" and some of the locations I hadn't heard of. Anyone shed some light please?
    1. Steamport - I had heard of and I know it closed and the stock was moved to Preston Docks but as for the others;
    2. N B R 0-4-0ST nr 42 and a Sentinell shunter "now in Lytham Motive Power Museum". I believe the saddle tank is now at Bo'ness, but as for Lytham MPM?
    3. Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST "Kettering Furnaces nr 8" "is preserved by the Welland Valley Traction Club at Market Harborough".
    4. de Winton & Chaplin vertical boiler 0-4-0WT "is now at Nottingham Industrial Museum, Wollaton Hall".
    5. A couple of locos were shown as being "at Shugborough Hall near Stafford".

Are 3, 4 & 5 still open or have they closed and the locos moved on as with example 1 & 2 please?

2. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Some of the Lytham stock amalgamated with Steamport at Preston I Believe.
    Maybe Graham from Preston can confirm?
    It was mainly an industrial rail museum I went once in the mid 70s, seem to remember a mix of gauges as well.

3. Paul_Turner

Paul_Turner New Member

Lytham Motivie Power Museum closed about 20 years ago, yet some of the industrials failed to sell at the auction and remained on site. I think some may still be there. Certainly the site below lists three locos there, Neilson & Co 4004 0-4-0CT, NB 18386 0-4-0ST, HC 1661 0-4-0ST. The museum owner also has Quarry Hunslet 'Jonathan' which was at WLLR but returned to Lytham a couple of years ago. A new shed was built for it, but it sits in the old admissions 'porch' to the museum.
    http://ukhrail.uel.ac.uk/cgi-bin/rlyloc ... &LO=Lytham

The museum was on Dock Road, part of the Helical Springs factory and had mainly SG exhibits but also a narrow guage line which used the Hunslet and a Groudle Glen Carriage. Wooton Hall was stored on site for several years too.

Paul

4. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

The Shugborough Hall collection was, as far as I am aware, not on public display and so the locos were dispersed in the 1980's. Included were NSR No.2 and Robert Heath No.6 which went to Chatterley Whitfield Mining Museum, itself now closed, while Kerr Stuart 'Moss Bay' moved to Foxfield in 1984 where it still resides.