If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35028 Clan Line

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Big Al, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    No plans mentioned to go to a heritage railway for running in. Makes sense to do the ML and the MNLPS does not 'do' low loaders so a heritage line would have to have a ML connection.

2. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

46100 did use SVR from Crewe but 34052 went straight to light then loaded tests and 35028s situation probably resembles the latter more. Possibly the contractors will offer advice one way or the other.

3. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think MNLPS have had enough experience of overhauls and mainline running not to need any advice. There were good reasons why they landed the Belmond Pullman job

4. 26D_M

All very true but when you have paid a fortune to a contractor one or both parties might deem it prudent to have some proving trials. This is no disrespect to either by the way.
    Plus the operational landscape or steam on the mainline has changed a wee bit since last time it was turned out.

5. Big Al

FYI. The MNLPS approach to overhauls and test runs predates what others have done subsequently. So any contractor will hardly influence what they choose to do by way of running in arrangements. But I am sure they will listen.

I don't know whether the extended time scale for the overhaul into the cushion of space before July 2017 celebrations down south will affect anything. But I recall that it was hoped Clan Line would be active up north before returning south...and I don't mean just on the north Wales coast.

No info on that so speculate away but Crewe is exactly where you need to be for anything interesting.

Mick45305 and 26D_M like this.
  6. 26D_M

An unassisted DBC run blast in the fells to reopen the S&C would be super, recalling an earlier era for 35028.

Mick45305 likes this.
  7. Mick45305

Mick45305 Member

Throw Grayrigg and Shap into the mix and you're definitely onto a winner! :)

26D_M likes this.
  8. Big Al

Latest news from the MNLPS shows a picture of Clan Line's boiler with its new front tubeplate, that was the necessary additional work as part of the overhaul.

In theory, it is (only) now a matter of bringing everything together. Easier said than done and, of course, further donations will be gratefully received. It's worth remembering that the MNLPS receives no lottery funding and has no sugar daddy. And if you do find the odd thousand tucked down a sofa then please mention Nat Pres when you donate!

http://www.clan-line.org.uk/news/crewe-overhaul-update-15

andalfi1 and S.A.C. Martin like this.
  9. Big Al

Information is now available about activities involving Clan Line when she returns from her overhaul in the spring of 2017. This will include a number of trips linked to the 50th anniversary of the end of Southern steam. Go to:
    https://www.national-preservation.c...of-southern-steam-2017-commemoratives.828432/
    Post #4 contains preliminary details of the UKRT trips in May and July.

It goes without saying that in addition to any donations you may have already made directly to the MNLPS to help finance the overhaul, by supporting one or more of these trips next year, you will also be able to enjoy a run behind one of the most prestigious and reliable steam locomotives to run on the main line in preservation. These trips will be courtesy of DBC many of whose crews have quite a soft spot for this loco simply because of the kind of experience Clan Line gives them on the footplate and what they, in turn, can get out of her.

Publicity over!

10. 26D_M

Very positive update and exciting plans.
    Does not seem like the timeframes will allow any northerly jaunts other than the test runs before a return South?

11. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Wouldn't mind a 'loaded' loaded test run in the north myself! However, there's probably an opportunity to snatch 35018 when its out and about.

12. Big Al

Yes but do you want a MN in LMSish livery? (PS I am joking!)

13. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

Still hoping for Clan line taking on the devon banks, I'd book on that

14. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Keep schtum and it might not happen! However, an MN in mixed-traffic lined black would look... different, and technically correct.

15. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Technically correct?

16. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

i wonder what the odds are on both having their loaded test runs on the same day, and passing each other enroute, 2 mn's in the same place at the same time has that ever happened on the mainline since 1967?

17. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    They were originally termed mixed traffic locomotives to get built in the war, and did do some freight turns to prove the point, hence why technically correct.

18. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Mixed traffic for the purposes of persuading the Ministry of Supply to sanction their building but designed as express passenger engines in every respect and BR agreed. They had freight turns as part of the passenger diagramming as did LNER Pacifics (266 down, The Scotch Goods). BR dark green is the only livery they ever carried and just wouldn't be right in anything else. It won't happen but I would like to see two at Waterloo at the same time.

19. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Might get two Bulleids out and about on Southern metals at the same time if 35028 gets its outing on 8 July, as 34046 is assumed to be motive power to Weymouth.

20. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I don't think rostering a MN on a freight turn was about "proving a point", it was about how you diagram locos in an efficient way. Plenty of pictures of Gresley A3/ A4s on freight turns, but I don't think anyone was trying to prove a possible point, just a combination of how the stars align for duty, capability and availability of traction. As for the MNs, they were never classified by BR as anything other than passenger locos, unlike their smaller brethren.

[​IMG]

Tom

Johnb likes this.