If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Clan Line and the Pullmans 13/09/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Chris_Sav, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Chris_Sav

Chris_Sav Member

Out To Pasture
    Ah! now I know who was at my out of the way spot!! nice to meet you, did the camera left in the rails get back to the forgetful owner? like to see the shots from that.

Memo to self, get there earlier whenever in the distant future we get more steam just up from Coldblow Crossing on Martin Mill Bank.

2. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's from the overbridge at Chelsfield Station, the station being behind me.

3. 7P6F

7P6F Part of the furniture

Had a great trip behind Clan Line on Wednesday, travelled in Audrey with the wife, First time in Audrey since our Honeymoon, 34 years ago when it was £145 cheaper with the VSOE all the way to Venice! First time up Walmer bank behind steam and wasn't Clan Line magnificent with 13 on with rain falling. There were two brief slips soon corrected and my mobile's free app speedometer had 16/17 mph as we approached the summit. At least with the Pullmans I don't have to sulk about not seeing the loco out of the window, as you can't, unless you've a head the size of a tennis ball.

4. Wayne

Wayne New Member

She's there or there about as far as running in is concerned. We, the crews, our happy with her and I know Chris and his team are pleased with her. But its still early days yet. I've been on her six times since she came back and have yet to really push her hard. Mind you the weather has played a part in some of that! Having said that, I have been amazed how well she is now pulling without pushing her. Certainly seems to have some extra horses under the bonnet since her overhaul. Our Southbound climb of Whiteball, on her last Torbay, with only 160 psi in the steam chest proves the point. Effortless, I certainly would have liked to have given her more and seen what she could have done.
    We had a trailing load of around 550 tons Wednesday, equivalent of around 17 mk. one coaches. She does work hard for her living.
    And yes, what a difference it must have been when they first came out. probably more so than the step up from a 060 goods loco to a 460 S15. Or a 440 T9 to a 460 N15 (later King Arthur). But they did have the Nelsons in between, which are strong loco's. But to get on to a Merchant Navy must have been like going to another planet. The old drivers who I worked with back in the seventies thought the world of them, those that knew what they were talking about.

26D_M, Stephen Hughes, 1Z89 and 4 others like this.
  5. thickmike

thickmike Member

Happily Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks Wayne for your response which as always adds to our understanding back in the train of what you are seeing and feeling at the sharp end.

Regarding the Nelson's for a moment - (surprised you're old enough to remember!) - strong yes but as I understand it not easy to fire and with nothing like the Bullied boiler to provide all the hot steam you need to play with. My guess also is that they were not as free running in the upper speed ranges. Anyway enough off-topic.

Seems to me you've had more of 28 since her overhaul than anyone else so if you think she's coming along nicely then it's just a question of waiting for the time when you really can, or have to, open her out. I'm hoping to be on that trip.

6. Middle_C

Middle_C New Member

Thanks!

7. Wayne

Wayne New Member

No, not in BR service but I did have a few turns on 850 when she was in our neck of the woods when she was last on the mainline.
    Yes you do need to know what you're doing firing, but luckily for me I was able to pick the brains of the old Eastleigh drivers I worked with. Back then they were firing to the Nelsons regularly. Their advice helped us 'new to Nelsons' boys get some decent work on it.

26D_M and Johnb like this.
  8. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Including Mr Rodney Tizzard no doubt, Wayne! Great memories back then especially when Rodney invited me to a "do" in the Eastleigh Railway Club. Lot's and lot's of ex BR drivers with great stories to tell and some good beers!

Nick