If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Churnet Valley Railway Winter Steam Gala 7th & 8th Feb 09

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Woolley, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Woolley

Woolley Member

Ive started a new topic as its no longer going to have an LMS theme, the loco line up will be,

black 5 45231
    Large Prairie 5199
    S160 5197
    4F 44422
    0-6-0 Ring Haw

The weekend will see the DMU running shuttles between Consall and Oakamoor for the first time at a steam gala giving the oportunity to travel along the line from Froghall to Oakamoor, Early morning Freight trains on both days, intensive 3 train timetable for the first time at the CVR, double heading, proper uncoupled banking out of Froghall Station to Boltons copper works, a night shoot saturday night at Cheddletons loco sheds and a real ale train Saturday Night running till around mid night.

Steve

2. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Shame it couldn't be an auto-train instead of a DMU...

Looking forward to this though, will be there supporting 5199 more than likely. One question, is the 3 trains inclusive of the DMU or not?

3. gwrgreen

gwrgreen New Member

Student at Sixth form.
    Wow!
    What a line up, cannot wait to see 5197 and 5199, hopefully the locos should be as loud as last year.

4. Tim Cowen

Tim Cowen Member

Looks good to me. I'll be first in the queue for a lineside pass, as usual!

5. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just out of interest, how do you obtain one for the CVR? I'm un-decided whether to make my first to the CVR or go out & film 46115 Scots Guardsman over Ribblehead viaduct, which runs on the 7th.

6. Tim Cowen

Tim Cowen Member

I assume it will be the same as last year, pay at the shop at Cheddleton then take your receipt to the loco shed where you get a safety briefing and your pass. If its any different I'm sure Steve will let us know.

7. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Think this is my most local line (I live in stafford during term time) but I've never been, might have to pop down for the gala!

8. Tim Cowen

Tim Cowen Member

In Stafford and you've never been? Get yourself down there Corbs, you will love it!

9. Woolley

Woolley Member

The 3 trains will be inclusive of the DMU and lineside passes will be the same as last year as Tim Cowen has said.

Steve

10. Woolley

Woolley Member

Jinty 47279 will now be staying at the CVR for the winter gala thanks to the KWVR so we are now upto 6 locos.

Black 5 45231
    Large Prairie 5199
    4f 44422
    Jinty 47279
    S160 5197 and
    Ring Haw

Timetable should be available from January

Steve

11. yanky

yanky Member

Fluid Management
    If anyone needs a taxi to or from Stoke Station to Cheddleton or Froghall over the gala weekend phone Broadway Taxis on 07732908131 and ask for Terry Hill. A 7 seater taxi is available and also has wheel chair access.

Very friendly service at competative rates, Credit and Debit cards accepted in the taxi.

Advance bookings are available, email broadwaytaxisstoke@yahoo.co.uk

Regards

Chris

12. 76079

76079 Member

Is 5197 going to be in action?

its been quoted in a news update elsewhere on this forum that its 10 year ticket has now expired.

Do the railway/owners know the boiler will get the hoped for extension? or has the loco been included on the gala bill in the hope that the extension will be granted?

Just curious as i was planning to come up and sample it for the first time. Was just a little dismayed to see the ticket has expired, having been advertised for the gala

13. Woolley

Woolley Member

5197 is being inspected this week to see if it can get an extension to its boiler certificate so all you 5197 fans keep your fingers crossed for it and i will keep you informed!

44422 arrived today and 5199 will be arriving next week sometime.

Steve

14. smiler

smiler New Member

I presume Ring Haw is still on track?

Im planning to come down to see it, i was quite surprised at the inclusion of Ring Haw, is this the start of a year long hire or something?

Smiler

15. Woolley

Woolley Member

Yes Ring Haw is still on for a visit it will only be staying for a few weeks tho as it is a replacement loco for the 4F when it goes to the North Norfolk Gala!

Steve

16. M53494

M53494 New Member

There is also to be a FREE heritage bus link between Stoke station and Froghall station.

17. GregWilson

GregWilson New Member

Due to various factors which I can't cover on here, 5197's ' boiler ticket ' has not actually expired. Its 14 monthly period has.

We are at this time is discussion with our insurers and appropriate statutory authorities to see whether it would be a suitable candidate to be considered for an extension and if deemed suitable any additional examination work required for such an extension will be carried out now during its cold and in steam exams.

18. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

The Peoples Democratic Republic of the Causey Arch
    How much action is Ring Haw going to get? Will she be let out on the normal service trains? Think I could be persuaded to bring a crowd from the North East if we are going to see a decent loco worked hard.

19. yanky

yanky Member

Fluid Management
    Well if you want to hear a decent engine working hard lets hope 5197 gets an extension!

We are doing the loco diagrams for the gala tonight, i think the plan for ring haw was to have it on the driver for a tenner, shunting as well as a full round trip at some point during the day.

Regards

20. 37255

37255 Guest

What sort of figure would it take to bribe you in to putting a couple of locos dead on the back of Ring Haw's stock? \:D/