If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Churnet Valley Railway& Moorland & City Railways Cauldon Lowe Branch re-opening Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by chris meadowcroft, Jul 5, 2010.

1. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Re: Churnet Valley Railway& Moorland & City Railways Cauldon Lowe Branch re-opening G

From the author of preserved miles and chains:

Leekbrook Jct to Cauldon Lowe GF 7m 62ch so a few chains added on for the loop.

2. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: Churnet Valley Railway& Moorland & City Railways Cauldon Lowe Branch re-opening G

Perhaps it was something to do with the weather conditions? I think they did quite well to get the two 37's, 25, DMU and two steam engines running (relatively) on time by lunch. The 25 could certainly be heard (very much working) a long time before it was seen!

Not sure about the steamer - the crews were under strict instruction to leave the powering to the diesels :confused:

3. desperado

desperado Member

My car and driver wouldn't get up in time to make it for the 0950 from Froghall but by all accounts, the rat on that was superb.

The 33 developed some kind of fault on the 1300 from Froghall. Immediately after leaving Froghall it just cut out as soon as it started developing any power. The train kept moving but very slowly. The problem happened several times between Froghall and Cheddleton. Apparently it wasn't oil, water or fuel which leaves something electrical. The Crompton roadshow in the front coach were afraid that the rat would be run round at Leek Brook. With the Crompton half dead, rat up the bank for kettle back would have been the rational thing do to. Instead the crew went for it. The Crompton kept repeatedly shutting down / cutting out all the way up the bank. The 1610 from Froghall was slightly better - it seemed like the driver had developed a feel for how much it would take before the Crompton cut out. Even then, it still cut out several times on the way up. The Crompton was never remotely wide open on either train. Apparently it had a similar defect on Wednesday but it had just gone away overnight.

Would those trains have even got to Cauldon Low if it was just the rat pushing on its own from the rear without steam assistance? Half a Crompton, load 6 and a kettle is a lot for a single rat even on the flat.

4. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon

Good point - the gradient out of Leekbrook really saps the speed out of the train if they're not careful. Both steam & diesel have had trouble pulling 6 coaches and a "dead" loco up, so you're right when you say 6 coaches and 2 dead locos is a lot to ask from a 25.

5. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

25 did fine last Sunday with six and no help from 44767 on the rear.

Reports on wnxx suggest CVR wasn't the place to be today.

6. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer

Why so?

7. desperado

desperado Member

A worse shambles than Friday morning according to postings on wnxx - only one set working, steam heat pipes frozen solid so no heat. One of the 37s failed going up the hill & the train had to set back to Cheddleton for it to be replaced by the rat. First arrival at Cauldon Lowe at 1356. One posting on wnxx says it was -11 at Froghall this morning which would make it the coldest yet.

8. Sheff

Thanks for the info. I don't think it's very charitable of the wnxx poster to describe it as a "shambles". Rather the CVR/MCR should be applauded for getting anything at all to run in those sort of extreme temperatures. Bear in mind that they have very little undercover accomodation, in fact none at all for opertating locos and stock.

9. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    No I do not currently volunteer
  10. buffscrag

buffscrag New Member

Well, I've just about thawed out from the Saturday! Thoroughly enjoyed the Rat's assault on the bank, but was disappointed that 33021 couldn't make it on full power - especially as I'd bagged the front droplight :doh:! Anyway, have a look at my video of the day's window-hanging:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nORxuTMPyrI

Well done to all involved for keeping things rolling in very difficult operating conditions - and here's hoping for a summer gala!

11. Sheff

Re: Churnet Valley Railway& Moorland & City Railways breaks new ground for Galas

According to the latest edition of the Beano this week, in an otherwise welcome feature on the recent reopening galas, SR reveal that next year the CVR/MCR will be breaking yet more new ground .....

Having run late night ale trains this year, they are taking a big leap forward next year and doing something no other UK line has done before AFAIK - running trains for "stoner" traffic :hippie: !!

12. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

Re: Churnet Valley Railway& Moorland & City Railways breaks new ground for Galas

I take it the tea rooms at Froghall will be renamed the Olde Amsterdam coffee shop selling speciality cakes? I'm not sure how that will go down with the local police!

13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

It does in deed, page 14. I think it's the Buffet that will be renamed as its "rail-borne stoner traffic and cement". :)

14. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

will there be another joint gala? I'm sure lots of enthusiasts will roll-up again.

15. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation

I know we would like to help out again!

16. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician

I think November showed the start of what could be a fruitful arrangement for both CVR and MCR, and their supporters. Don't think its the last time we'll be seeing CVR stock operating over MCR metals.

17. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I think as long as they keep it special they have nothing to lose
    On top of Stone Traffic..
    On top of Alton Towers service..

No doubting this railway is the one to watch the next few years.

18. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway

Thanks David and Greg for a very interesting year cummulating in a great gala for the reopening. Looking forward to the next one, hopefully in February ,if the weather gets better, then perhaps Stoke at the years end

19. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired

Just don't clash with Keighley and Worth Valley on 11-13 February which is one of the established galas in my diary at least - or maybe could fit both into a fantastic weekend!

20. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician

Seeing as 44767 is due to appear at both events, I think you have no need for concern ;)