If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Churnet unidentified Warwell

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Bestieboy, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Hi
    A friend of mine visited the line last weekend and noted an unidentified Warwell at Oakamoor. It is in grey livery & is carrying an engine of some sort, covered in green tarpaulin. I am trying to establish the identity. Could this possibly be the Crewe works example 024603 (CDM360337) as this is close to the CVR & has apparently gone missing from Crewe or maybe one of the ex MODA 95xxx series. If not does anyone know any other details about this wagon.

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=57124054&noresize=1

Many Thanks
    Steve Best

2. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

It looks like a MOD warwell, but one that had been an internal user for many years. The fleet that were active on the mainline were re-bogied in the 1970's and had further modifivations when they were airbraked in the 1980's & 1990's. There were some with diamond frame bogies at marchwood Military port in the 1970's.

Regards, Neil

3. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Cheers Neil
    I did actually mean one of the type that didn't make the MODA (re-bogied)series but messed my wording up, not for the first time. One of the batch, as you say at Marchwood, that used to be numbered, I think, in the 80xxx series? but like you say was probably an I/u or hidden at the MOD for a long time? Its why I thought it may have been the one at crewe though I'm not sure if that batch had the surround near the buffer?
    I have emailed the Churnet so hopefully they can solve this one.
    Steve

4. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

The 'surround near the buffer' is part of the screw-jack arrangement to stop it up-ending when loading tanks.

Certainly M360332 at the GCR has had this feature removed, presumably in LMS days.

Phil