If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cathedrals Express to Stratford 22/04/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by David likes trains, Apr 19, 2017.

1. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The Hall & Castle have the same issue too ! The platform restriction is only for Bearley Jct bound trains. In the height of summer when very hot temperatures are present, there have been times where 4965 has scraped the platform edges. I'm told it's due to the platform edges expanding in the heat.

2. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

Seems strange Liam as you and I both filmed her at Wilmcote three years ago and she was going like the clappers. Mind you, she was named Braunton then. Perhaps the slightly longer 'Lord Dowding' nameplate puts her out of gauge;).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  3. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

4. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Question/ suggestion: Could this have been all about responding to signal aspects on the approach to Bearley Junction? 1Z36 was running around 3L at Wilmcote and this meant that it crossed to the single line at Bearley Junction at 18.35, precisely the same time as LM's 2S70 Worcester-Stratford service had been due to pass in the southbound direction. As it transpired, there would not have been a conflict at the junction, because 2S70 was itself running 8L at this point. But would this have been anticipated in advance of 1Z36's approach to the junction and priority awarded accordingly ?

The only other thought was that maybe, having surmounted the climb of Wilmcote bank, sufficient impetus existed to carry 1Z36 down the 1 in 180/ Level section from Wilmcote station through to the 50 mph restriction at Bearley Junction that applies to entry to the single line Hatton route. "Regulator shut" might suit that theory, but braking and subsequent acceleration tends to suggest it wasn't.

It would be interesting to get an informed view about this - if for no other reason than I would hate, really hate, to think that yesterday's observation of 34046/ 34052 might be the harbinger of yet further problems to confront a potentially less gauge-friendly ex-GWR design on this season's Shakespeares.

5. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    No I do not currently volunteer
    No, as in other videos the loco was working as it approached the foot crossing at Pathlow which is right on top of Bearley Jct. If you watch Matt's video above, you'll hear the loco working away from the station. This side of the station has always been problematic. The only other engines which have been up recently, that haven't had any issues are, 9466, 9600 and 61306, which you would all expect to pass without an issue. Also, I clocked the light engine move to Tyseley and it slowed right down to 5mph then !

Where's Mazeppa? likes this.