If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cathedrals Express to Alton, 2/12/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Bulleid Pacific, Nov 16, 2017.

1. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

My comments were not specific to the train in question but in response to the general point raised by @Gladiator5076 as to what general responsibilities tour providers might have as compared to TOCs.

2. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    So if I go on holiday and the weather's bad can I expect compensation from the travel agent? When if comes to compensation we should get back to the concept of negligence. Were SD or WC negligent, no. Was NR negligent, who knows but you'd have a job proving it. Your last sentence is right sometimes unsavoury smelling brown stuff happens and we have to get over it.

Bulleid Pacific likes this.
  3. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

4. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
  5. 26D_M

The comparison is fatuous because the weather is not sold as a feature of the product, is it?
    If however, a flight delay occured that might be grounds for compensation even if it was the fault of an airline or tour operator other than the one you contract with. Purchases are made on the basis there is a sliding scale of compensation, backed by a bond scheme?
    It seems to me SD and counterparts are in a vulnerable position if they have to rely on nobody being disappointed enough to seek redress when things outside their control go wrong, if no contingency exists to cover potential liabilities.

6. AMP

AMP Member

To me there were three things that spoiled my enjoyment of the trip yesterday.

1. The late start. Unavoidable with the emergency possession at Willesden.

2. Arriving at the destination at around the same time the train was due to leave for the return leg. Again accepted as a consequence of part one.

3. The lack of any heating on the train in winter. Now that is the part that is completely unacceptable and the blame for that can only be aimed at one party, it's not like it is the first time this has happened.

My piece said, I await correspondence from Steam Dreams with interest....

Andrew

7. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Virtually every holiday I go on mentions wonderful weather, but you miss the point, who has been negligent and the answer here is none of the parties involved so tough.

8. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

The last SD trip I travelled on with my Dad some time ago suffered the same problem as point 3. There was no heating throughout the day. On the return journey the light above us blew with a large bang. Someone from WCRC was sent to fix it. The guy couldn't fix it and exclaimed in front of the passengers "these bloody carriages should have been scrapped years ago!" We were given emergency lights which lasted about 10 minutes before the battery went flat. After this the SD stewards vanished from our carriage never to be seen again. We spent most of the return trip sitting in the cold and dark. We decided that we would never go on a SD trip again after that.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

9. 26D_M

Yet you book in full awareness the weather is not "arranged". Does a tour customer book in the same position as regards operational contingencies?
    Neither is it a requirement for negligence to have been a factor in sub standard provision for compensation to be payable.
    My point is the tour operator has obligatiins and potential liabliities to mitigate unplanned events so ought reasonably to cater for it. I am not saying they don't, its a general observation.

10. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Ah you were one of the chaps on the bridge. My two lads enjoyed the run through Bentley even if it was a little chilly!

11. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  12. Andy Louch

Andy Louch Member

Retired (best job I've ever had!)
    Good day to you! Yes, guilty as charged!! Have put some photos on Flickr and noted the other chap has done the same!

13. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
  14. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Had a pretty extensive email from SD today offering apologies and a substantial discount valid until 2020, which I probably will use at some point next year. It explains that a later return path was sought, but NR were unable to do this due to no path being available, and so the activities during the layover had to be cut to suit. Whilst it didn't affect me as I was planning to leave the train at Alresford anyway, apparently Winchester was packed-out.