If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cathedrals Express: 70013 to Yeovil 5/9/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by gricerdon, Sep 4, 2017.

1. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

2. JS Rail Videos

JS Rail Videos New Member

My offerings from Whitchurch. Great to see Cromwell back on the main line!

Enjoy!

3. Will RL

Will RL Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    It was gauged several times before going back out to the mainline. Hence the need to shave the dome back etc...

4. GC Met

GC Met New Member

Oliver Cromwell 31mins early coming out of Templecombe and having a little trouble with greasy rails . Sorry about the shakey camera no time to set up as 70013 came round the bend as I arrived.

5. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Evening All,

I have uploaded a short clip of 700013 whistling its way through Farnborough on the up journey on YouTube:

Hope its of interest.

6960 Raveningham Hall likes this.
  6. babamartin

babamartin New Member

I took a late booking on this trip after SD sent a flyer confirming 70013. At Old Oak Common last Saturday the support crew were clearly excited about a return to the mainline. Thing is, you never know what to expect, but yesterday's £109 has to be the best value I've spent this year. With load 10 and (unexpectedly) no diesel both footplate crews (out and back) clearly enjoyed themselves as much as the punters. Joined at Basingstoke and left at Brookwood on the return. They must have done something extra to Ollie as well as fitting new tyres because the acceleration away from the station stops was phenomenal. Lots of high speed running: I'm looking forward to Don's log of Basingstoke - Salisbury. We were asked to run early through the single sections west of Salisbury to avoid a late running SW Railway Exeter service and arrived at Sherbourne half an hour early. I am not a timer but I recorded a few speeds on mobile phone app on the return: 79 after Templecombe, 41 over Semley, 42 over Grateley then a steady 80 down the other side sweeping through Andover at 82! Maybe I need to calibrate the app but I don't think so. There were a few astonished faces on Andover platform. After the Basingstoke stop we passed Hook after 7 minutes at 68, Winchfield after 9 mins at 71, Fleet and Farnborough at 74.

If you're a Brit fan I suggest you take advantage of the next appearances of 70013. Many thanks for yesterday to 5305 LA, WCRC and Steam Dreams and especially the footplate crews.

Incidentally there were a lot of joiners/leavers at Salisbury which partly explains the empty seta between there and London.

7. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    Didnt venture very far as forecast wasnt good .. heres my video of Oliver Cromwell leaving Sherborne for Yeovil and arriving and departing Sherborne on the return..