If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cassiobury Park crash

Discussion in 'Miniature Railways' started by goldfish, Apr 10, 2015.

1. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

Blimey, this looks pretty severe (but fortunately no one seriously hurt). Apparently a spring broke on one of the carriages…

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...y-train-derails-in-watford-park-10163552.html

Simon

2. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well I hope that the RAIB and the ORR have withdrawn their TOC open access license!

joe_issitt and goldfish like this.
  3. Charles Parry

Charles Parry Member

I'm sure it doesn't have a bearing on the accident, but I think the Cassiobury Park Miniature Railway is a shadow of its former self. When I was young (only 10 or so years ago), you'd often find 2 locos in steam on a summers day, one train loading up whilst another is out on the run. Now it is invariably diesel hauled, haven't seen steam in many years, and haven't seen 2 train running in a long time as well. Such a shame.

4. Charobin

Charobin Member

They do run 2 trains when they need to, but it has been diesel only for the last few years, partly as a result of the steam-keen drivers moving on to 'proper' jobs. However, when I was up there last year they were hoping to get the blue American loco 'Marri' back running in the next year or two.

Unsurprisingly passengers on the train have reported the press are sensationalising things and the accident was not as bad as the reports made out. There was a far more serious accident (not reported by the press) at a well known West Country line last year which may have a greater effect than this one on little railways.

5. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

Say more