If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Carriage Sheds

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by maninthecorner, Aug 10, 2015.

1. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    While I understand that there may be practicalities & priorities involved, given that the 'post steam' story of the IOW Network is very limited, it seems a pity to entirely ignore it as it continues to be fascinating in its own way

2. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

To start with I had better emphasise that my views are mine alone and in absolutely no way "official".

Havenstreet is hard by Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and directly adjoins various Sites of Special Scientific Interest which house rare mammals such as dormice and red squirrels. Indeed one of the latter sites is in IOWSR ownership and is has an active management scheme to conserve it. Thus the opportunities to provide accommodation for railway bits and pieces are not infinite. Plenty still has to be stored outside but it is at least tidy.

Yes "wouldn't it be nice" to have an example of IOW electric stock on display but it might have to be elsewhere than on the IOWSR. Enthusiasts have to learn that they cannot preserve everything!

PH

Wenlock likes this.
  3. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thank you - it sums up very concisely why it cant be done, its not that there is a decision not to do it

paulhitch likes this.
  4. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have yet to find a rolling stock shed that isn't! I must say it is a fantastic asset to the railway, I thoroughly enjoyed walking round it last time I visited.

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

paulhitch likes this.
  5. maninthecorner

maninthecorner New Member

Does anyone have any experiance of using a Romney Shed as a restoration base? They seem to be fairly inexpensive and are very flexable.

6. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

There was one at Carnforth for a long time. Perfectly good as a storage shed, but no room to work. If your local planning authority will accept it it's a good, cheap solution for storage.

maninthecorner likes this.
  7. maninthecorner

We are looking for a solution for one carriage, 18ft 6inch high, long term storage/location is still under discussion so we are looking at all optiuons. Ideally we do not wish to go into next winter in the open, however landowners, planing and fund raising may mean we dont achive this. The Romney Shed does seem to be flexable and inexpensive so is an option we are currently considering.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  8. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Hello,
    Romney's can suffer from condensation esp in the winter. They are hot in the summer and cold in the winter.
    Have you looked at a Polytunnel?
    Reasonably cheap, easier Planning Permission, is a temporary building.
    There is some kind of tunnel on the SVR ...will see if I can get some info for you

Nick

9. Sawdust

Sawdust Member

The above can apply to any uninsulated building.

Sawdust.

10. maninthecorner

I have noticed that the KESR museum at Tenterden is in one (Romney Shed), i assume it has insulation/background heating though.

11. 61624

The logic if why a polytunnel should be any better than a Romney shed defeats me, I have to say, unless it is only required on a temporary basis. LNER BTK 3669 was largely restored in a polytunnel, until a storm wrecked it, fortunately without damage to the coach, but whilst it provided cover it fluctuated from extremely hot in summer to extremely cold in winter.

I looked into the cost of Romney sheds a few years ago, and found that with 2 coaches side by side it was possible to cover two 60ft coaches for around £5,000 (excluding groundworks) and that is tantalisingly affordable if you have the location. That would be for storage, though, there would be little room to work on the vehicles as there would be minimum clearance all round.

12. maninthecorner

We are only looking the possiblity of one coach (a Bulleid Double Deck Motor Brake Second), the story behind this is in a thread under Heritage Diesel and Electric. If the coach is located in the dead center of the shed we believe we would have adequate work space. £5K does sound very reasonable for a 5 month old group with limited funds. Once the long term agreements are in place with the owner (who we are working in partnership with), then this does look the way forward. The Polytunnel Shed may not be a good choice if she stays where she is as its very windswept.

13. 61624

I've a feeling that the LMSCA shed at Peak Rail is a Romney shed or similar - it might be worth talking to them.

14. maninthecorner

Yes, we have just shared the link on our FB group to the LMSCA video, looks like a good option for us. The location the coach is in is great for restoration but we may wish to move elsewhere once restored the coach will be a exhibit rather than run so we hope some one may by then feel a ready made self enclosed museum of an interesting idea/experiment could find a home. We can take one of these buildings with us if required.

http://lmsca.org.uk/blog/2016/03/restoration-lms-7828-four-minutes/

15. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Hello,
    Go for it!
    Better than the open air!
    What Company are you thinking of using?

Nick

16. Insider

Insider New Member

Hi, the Gwili Railway has been using a Romney shed for years for storage but in the last five years used as a workshop. 67 feet long - how long is a MK1!!
    24 feet wide but its mounted on a 3 foot concrete dwarf wall which raises the shed high enough to kneel on the roof to do some work (safety system in place). Condensation yes, but nothing to worry about if used for storage. Hot - open the doors, cold - build a stove but unless the shed is insulated its not going to work. The shed is used by the C+W Dept to repair and overhaul vehicles. Its the only shed we've got so its a case of being thankful and getting on in those conditions. If using a second hand one you'll never get the original holes in the sheets to line up - s some leakage through nail holes. Romney ideal for storage not ideal as a workshop.
    Dewi Jones

gwalkeriow likes this.
  17. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Most of us learnt that long ago. Regarding the constrictions on the Havenstreet site because of AONB and SSSI, where else could covered accommodation be built?

18. maninthecorner

I think that the IoWSR have done amazing with whats been achived over the last few years. So much is now under cover and a good proportion of the stock is now accessable to view by the public. In the future what options are there? Can the headshunt for Train Story be extended further if the next field was obtained? Can the Train Story Shed itself be extended? There was talk once of sidngs and shed in the field the other side of the road bridge is that still on the cards?

In future if Ryde St Johns is reached and land was available at a reasonable cost then the old Loco Shed yard and headshunt could be obtained.

19. maninthecorner

At present we are looking at options. This one seems good as long as we can get around the condensation. The moveability of the shed may be good. As to what company, well thats the next stage new v second hand refurbished. The next stage is to look at the market and see what we can get at various costings. The big constraint as always will be funding, and we can not ask for donations until some legal agreements as to ownership and access are drawn up. What we dont want to do though is have the coach go through another winter outside (over 40 years is enough for an old girl), however we are aware planing permission and other factors can get in the way.

20. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    Condensation on an uninsulated building can be 'restricted' by ventilation but you will never cure the problem without insulation. In my days as a ventilation engineer this challenge was faced many times, but in the end it's always a bit of a dogs dinner. These days with building regs an un-insulated building is very rare - make sure you check this out with building control but if you discribe the shed as a workshop you may be 'forced' to use insulation, but I'm not an expert in these areas.

The problem is due to the warmer air within the shed contains more moisture than that outside and will condense on any cold surface it meets - as the air outside is cooler and there is no insulation that cold surface will be the roof and wall sheeting and due to the cooler temperatures at night it tends to be worse then.

So with increasing ventilation the amount of condensation is restricted but it doesn't make for a pleasant environment but at least it's out of the wind and rain.