If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Carriage body

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by dace83, Mar 25, 2009.

1. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Hi, Someone asked me on Geograph if I knew anything about this carriage body they spotted the other day. I replied that I don't know but it is probably from the 1880s to the 1890s.
    Here is a picture, any info would be great and you will be credited if you wish.
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/810208
    and
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/810213

thanks

2. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

I would suggest sending the photo link to the VCT, they are amazing at working these things out. If they're unaware of this example they'd appreciate it & no doubt someone will go and investigate.

Steve

4. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I'll do that then

5. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

The style of the end looked awfully familiar so I looked through a folder of stuff at home. I have a photo of the end of (the remains of) carriage 02467 (VCT survey only shows the other end, which I think is a later partition as 02467 is a part-body only) and it looks identical to me. What little side detail I can see in this new picture seems to match too. If so, could this be another (but bodily complete) GCR-built 1870s MSJ&AR/CLC carriage? If it is it could prove to be an exceptionally important find...

Someone might like to run this theory past the VCT chaps, I'm no expert!

Phil

6. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Do you think so Phil?
    I'm certaintly no expert but my initial thought was ex GNSR 5 comp, something like diagram 41, 45? Difficult to tell without a clear side view & close inspection.
    I'll leave it to the experts.
    Steve

7. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

VCT have done a survey but not uploaded it to the website and they couldn't give no detail of the company ect.

8. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Yes I do. The GNSR carriages (of which there are many on the VCT''s site) consistently have six end panels, with a slightly fancy arrangement along the top edge where they meet the plain section across the top. 02467 - like this vehicle - has seven, with a totally straight transition to the plain section across the top. The roof profile matches too.

I'll await further deliberations with interest.

Phil