If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

'Calbourne' - Return to steam delayed until 2007

Discussion in 'On Track.' started by LSWR, Dec 21, 2005.

1. LSWR

LSWR Part of the furniture

Avionics Technician
    Len Pullinger. Chief Mechanical Engineer IoWSR reports:

The main contractor for W24's boiler work, LNWR CO. Ltd., at Crewe, has recently issued a revised report with regard to the proposed repairs to the boiler. I visited Crewe Works with the boiler inspector in September to discuss the latest picture. The original repair proposal has been modified to overcome unforeseen practical problems with the construction of the firebox. Unexpected deterioration of the boiler barrel in the last ten years has also been taken account of, resulting in the decision to renew the barrel in its entirety, a considerably larger job than envisaged before the boiler was exposed earlier this year. The contractor's latest estimate for the timescale is at least twelve months work at Crewe, which unfortunately misses our target date for completion, May 2006. At best we can expect a return to steam during the 2006 season. We accept the proposals, which will inevitably cost more, and the contractor's estimate now stands at £70,310, which pushes up the total capital cost over £100,00. We are therefore keeping the Boiler Appeal going in order that the additional cost can be met in full. I acknowledge the considerable variation from the original plan, and the disappointing delay in proceedings, but I believe this course of action will produce a far better and longer lasting result. We have had over thirty years of patching up and making do in order to keep 'Calbourne' on the road as much as possible, now it's time to invest in the future with a project worthy of restoration in the best possible sense.

SOURCE IoWSR Website