If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cackler

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by CymruGarratt, Jun 23, 2011.

1. CymruGarratt

CymruGarratt New Member

I visited the Thursford Collection today and found quarry Hunlet Cackler very much out of use, but at least secure and in the dry.
    The Thursford people operated the loco around a neighbouring farmer's field until about 1993, but a dispute over land rental charges arose so the line closed and was eventually taken up. After a period standing out in the open, Cackler is now located on a single length of track in a rather odd part of the museum. As part of the reserve collection, the engine sits in an area known as Fantasy Land - a large barn decked out with Christmas decorations, reindeer, Santa's Grotto etc - a very incongruous site in late June!. The engine itself, unfortunately, has a large stuffed Pink Panther effigy sitting on its tank top and the traction engines alongside are 'driven' by stuffed Father Christmases.
    Regrettably, there are no steamable engines of any description at Thursford, and when I asked I was told there are no plans to restore any more of the road engines (or indeed Cackler) so the collection is now rather 'static' in that regard.
    One wonders if the Thursford people might part with Cackler if a suitable person or railway came along and made the right offer with the promise of restoration and operation. Pie in the sky, perhaps?

Attached Files:

2. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    How undignified. What's the explanation for the Pink Panther being there? Sounds to me as if the taste police should pop round and take the exhibits into care.

3. 48DL

48DL Member

I think it's time to have a go at the euromillions.............................................

4. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

They will not let it go, many have tried...I wouldn't even recommend anyone has a go.

5. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I was one of them some time ago the excuss was they couldn't get it out from where it was.

6. Eagle1711

Eagle1711 Well-Known Member

Electrician
    Im sure they could get it out if the money was right but to be fair I have always wondered what had happened to her. At least shes under cover.

7. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Perhaps we should ask how much they want for the Pink Panther and see if they'll throw the loco in for free.

lynbarn likes this.
  8. CymruGarratt

CymruGarratt New Member

I wasn't going to mention the word 'taste', but now that you've mentioned it the whole museum is a bit tacky. However seeing Cackler and hearing the gentleman playing the Mighty Wurlitzer more than made up for it!

9. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think it is worth while reiterating, UNLESS YOU HAVE SERIOUS WONGA TO THROW AT THEM, PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THURSFORD ABOUT PURCHASING CACKLER!

It has been stated that they have no intention of allowing the loco to leave under any circumstances. I think we need to respect their wishes, even if it is a shame... As stated above *fingers crossed* EURO MILLIONS... I think Thursford would be my first call, even before I told the wife...

10. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

It appears to be in fairly authenthic quarry condition although it does have air pipes at the back (I presume this is because it only went round in circles). Shame it is stuck there but at least I've had it for haulage many years ago.

The Museum did recently have a sale of reserve fleet rollers, which they always said they would never sell. Perhaps things have changed?

11. Selsig

Selsig Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    There are two air pipes hanging out of the cab back in one of the pictures, though I suspect that they just attach to a valve rather than the loco being the source of the air. I'm reasonably certain that the condition of the paintwork is more down to the years sat in the former station platform following closure of the railway and prior to her moving inside than it is to being an original paintjob.

However, mechanically, yes, I agree she has had very little changed - but then neither has her twin, Jerry M, and only minor tweaks have been made to their cousin Lilla.

12. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Or if that's their Santa Grotto, go along at Christmas. When you're sitting on Santa's knee and he asks you "What would you like for Christmas?", say "That one, please!"

Richard

13. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    Hi Andrew that comment made my day thankyou

14. kscanes

kscanes Resident of Nat Pres

There's also GINETTE MARIE, just down the road at Strumpshaw Hall. Last time a saw her she was bit like CACKLER, hidden in a corner unloved with odd bits and pieces leant up against her.

15. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

16. CymruGarratt

CymruGarratt New Member

17. eml

eml New Member

I just wish Cackler could go to the Hollycombe Steam Museum to be with Jerry M!

18. CymruGarratt

CymruGarratt New Member

The pity is that the Cushing family won't release her, and not only that, but they have let the boiler certificates run out on their collection of road locomotives as well, meaning that none of them are workable. Cackler's location is, well, tacky to say the least.

19. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

Sounds like a bad situation all round, yes its very nice that the loco and the engines are there for future generations, but would of been nicer to see them running.

20. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

Well, it appears to be safe, and things change with time. At one time it was thought be be impossible to get the American emigrants back, but I think the majority have now returned?