If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Buxton Spa Express - Feb 2017

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Spotter, Jan 7, 2017.

1. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

There is a rich irony in @Dobbs0054 being accused of overly positive posts given what's gone before......

2. 61994

61994 Member

46236, 1020 Shireman, terry70 and 5 others like this.
  3. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Buxton.jpg

Leander brings the empty stock back into a wet and cold Buxton yesterday..

4. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

I know. I don't know what came over me!

Could it be RTC giving advance notice that the tour (subject to all checks on the day) would be pure steam?
    Could it be that the route was interesting and provided some spirited driving?
    Could it be the great soundtrack through Miles Platting?
    Could it be the return of a newly restored loco to the mainline?
    Could it be that we had plenty of opportunities to see the locos up close, either on their own or coupled together at an inspired water stop at Brighouse?

OK there were some technical issues with a couple of coaches but to be fair, I have sat in a freezing Pendolino before now. The time was early but as I get the 06.58 out of Preston regularly it was ok.

On a more positive note, this was the first tour my son had been on since being a child. He posted on social media throughout the day. He has been asked how to access these tours by friends. I gave him the link to UKSteam to show just how many options people have. One chap wanted to take his young son on one.

Simple message: Get it right and please current customers who will come back for more. Get it right and new customers will be attracted by the positive experience of others. Makes for a sustainable future.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  5. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    What's wrong with you wimps. If it had not have been my birthday celebration with family I would have been up there photographing it, off home at 4.00am chasing round all day and back around 9.00pm. I'll certainly be up there for 60103 over the S&C

Dobbs0054 likes this.
  6. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    A bit delayed as I had some software issues yesterday - now hopefully resolved.

The Buxton Spa Express 25 February 2017 – 45690 Leander and 76084 (pilot Heaton Norris Jn to Blackburn) hauling 9+POB

So fingers crossed for a third attempt to reach Buxton (17 Sept 2016 was foiled by Leander’s paperwork problem and 4 Feb 2017 was cancelled as there were not enough customers). It was 6.10 (in the morning) when Mrs W and I sauntered down platform 4 at Preston to take our seats in coach C. We were at the front of the coach (45690, POB, A, B, kitchen then us). We were travelling first class; Mrs W needs some (occasional) enticements especially as she is not a “morning person”. I prefer standard (peasant) class; I know my place. The day was cool and at least, for now, dry.

We departed 06.25 (RT) and made our way south, Leyland (1L) and 45mph. We held 48 on the climb to Coppull and had a max of 66 on the descent to Wigan NW where we arrived and departed RT. We were around 4E approaching Golborne Jn and held, leaving 2L. We briefly touched 60 near Glazebury and by Astley were RT, Eccles passed at 51 and 1E. We crawled through the “Pic-Vic link” works around Ordsall. Although only 7.30 there were many orange-suited workers hard at it (taking photos on their phones – and why not!). The arch of the new bridge, hoisted into place last week, could clearly be seen. We were stopped outside Man Vic and eventually stopped in platform 3 (4½L).

We were away (4¾L) and in no mood to take prisoners, we surged away and I passed East Jn at 15 mph, speed increased to 17/18 mph and I passed MP1¼ at 23 mph in 4¾ mins. The sound from the exhaust was phenomenal: “Good morning neighbours, that was your quarter to eight alarm!” We continued, more sedately, to our first water stop at Denton arriving 3½L. We departed 2E and made our way the 3 miles or so to Heaton Norris Jn where 76084 should already have been waiting for us in the loop – and she was. We arrived 3E and stopped on the main line, 76084 crossed over from the loop and reversed onto the front. 25 minutes had been allowed and 1E we departed; 76084’s main line revenue earning service had begun.

We trundled the short distance to Stockport where we stopped in platform 1 (RT). 14 minutes later (4L) we were away from our pathing stop and heading for the hills. We were off through Davenport at 26, Woodsmoor (34) and Hazel Grove (40) where it had begun to rain – oh heck! Beyond Hazel Grove the 1/200r tightens to 1/100r and speed fell back as we entered Disley Tunnel at 37. The gradient in the tunnel is 1/132r and we exited at 42 (a transit time of 3m 20s gives an average speed of 39.5 mph) As the gradient tightened to about 1/90r speed was held at 34/5. We slowed to 21 as we approached Chinley and although running RT we were stopped for 2½ mins approaching Chinley N Jn. From the re-start, on a gradient of 1/90r we passed Chinley N Jn at 21, Chinley S Jn at 25 and Chapel-en-le-Frith at 27.5 in steady rain, double headed; a testament to the skills of the drivers. Still climbing at 1/90 we made our way through Dove Holes Tunnel (av. speed 22.7) to the summit at Peak Forest (23). Our scheduled 27 min stop at Great Rocks Jn was cut to under a minute and we made our way towards Buxton with a brief max of 42. We arrived at Buxton SB 27E.

Much of what we gained at Great Rocks we lost at Buxton leaving 10E and with both locos still at the front we made our way to Buxton URS. 76084 was detached and ran back along the right side of the train, Leander then drew the train forward. It was windy and raining quite steadily and I had a lot of sympathy for the NR and WCRC staff who trudged from one end of the train to the other, and back again to enable us to enter the station from Peak Forest. The layout is intended for passenger trains from the Whaley Bridge direction (the original plan for our train). 76084 was attached to the rear of the train and now running tender-first drew the train into platform 2 (5L).

It was still raining and windy when we left the station, but soon the rain stopped and we had a tolerable, if not thoroughly enjoyable, hour or so exploring Buxton; it was February and could have been far worse. Well worth a visit midweek in summer; downside too many cars driving through. We made our way down to the Wye Bridge House (Wetherspoons) for lunch. It was now raining again as we made our way back to the station.

The ECS was due into platform 2 at 14.10 and we were due to depart at 14.20. A service train arrived into pl 2 and deposited its passengers, this was not due out until 14.29 so had to be shunted across to pl 1 which in turn delayed the arrival of the ECS. The ECS arrived with 45690 (running chimney first; the locos having turned on the triangle at Chinley) at the front and Mick Rawlins at the regulator. We all boarded reasonably quickly and with 76084 already attached to the rear we departed 4L. Running tender-first 76084 pulled us into the URS then a similar procedure to our arrival: 76084 detaches, runs round, 45690 sets back, 76084 attaches to the front and ready for the off.

We left Buxton URS 11L and retraced our path climbing back up to Peak Forest (25) then descended down through Dove Holes Tunnel to Chinley S Jn (20) where we took the right fork and back onto the Sheffield line via Chinley E Jn (21). Buxton URS to Chinley E Jn took 29½ min against an allowance of 38 (the scheduled 1 min stop at Great Rocks was not made). Then into Cowburn Tunnel at 30 (gradient 1/150r which levels after about 1 mile) we left at 45. Progress through the Hope Valley was good, generally running about 2/3L with a max of 55 just beyond Dore. We made our way into Sheffield (3E) for a crew change. Drivers Mick Kelly and Mick Rawlins handed over to David Blair and Ron Smith. We departed 2E and on the couple of miles to Brightside loop for water. There was a hiccup with the positioning of the tanker relative to the locos, once rectified water was taken but we were 17L leaving Brightside Jn.

We made good progress and by Thurnscoe we were 12L, a max of 57 before Moorthorpe helped reduce this to around 8/9L. We were slowed before Hare Park Jn (14) before making our way through Wakefield Kirkgate without stopping (booked 27 min stop), now 18E. What we gained on the swings we lost on the roundabouts being held in the loop at Healey Mills whilst two service trains passed; darkness descended shielding our eyes from the now overgrown and desolate landscape. We were still 3E as we set off for our last water stop at Brighouse.

We left Brighouse 2L, this had increased to 5L by Hebden Bridge and it was raining again. At Hall Royd Jn (23) we forked to the right and curved right to Stansfield Hall Jn (27) where the climb to Copy Pit 1/65r begins. In the cold and rain with the toplight open the locos could be heard barking their way up the bank in the pitch black of a winter’s evening. Just beyond the junction speed touched 31 before the gradient took its toll dragging us back to 23/24, as the gradient eased speed rose again 26/27/28 briefly 30 before falling back to 29.6 at the summit. Even though I was at the back of the 7th coach the roar from the front was magical.

The run to Blackburn was, by comparison, low key. Over the viaduct at Accrington and slowly through the tightly curving platforms, then hard away and through Church and Oswald T Wistle (sounds familiar) (9L) at 42, slow through Rishton then a blast (51) along the embankment at Whitebirk before braking for Daisyfield Jn and into pl 4 at Blackburn station (5L). 76084 was detached to make her way back past Ewood Park (home of Blackburn Rovers) and the site of Lower Darwen shed and sporting a headboard “The Rover Returns” on a blue and white halved background – Mrs W was impressed (her team). We left 7L and there was an interchange of whistles as 76084 waited for her departure. Leander was ready to regain some time, by Mill Hill we were up to 46, Cherry Tree (48), Pleasington (53) with a max of 57 beyond Hoghton. Lostock Hall was passed (5½L) before we squealed down to the main line (2L) and into Preston stopping 3½L.

It was still raining but fortunately we had only a short journey and were home for 9.15. This was a complex and very enjoyable tour, professionally run and a very successful mainline debut for the “little-un”. Thanks and well done to everyone involved.

Highlight has to be (on the return) the virtuoso performances on the standard 4’s whistle, take a bow!

Downside, we were in the coach without heat. It was lukewarm before the stop at Heaton Norris Jn then failed completely, attempts to fix it were unsuccessful.. Later in the journey we were offered seats in dining (10 available) or in the other first class coach (12 available); this illustrates the occupancy level. Whilst walking through the train standard class appeared reasonably full (and warm). Still, we were ok; plenty of layers and coats on.

At lunchtime, completely out of the blue, Mrs W asked me, “Does he ever shut up?” I knew immediately who she meant; we had the misfortune to be sitting across the way from the world’s greatest expert on everything, a man who was also the winner of the world non-stop talking competitions (1968-2017) and had a very, very annoying accent. Still it takes all sorts – but why do they always sit near me?

7. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    Humans do not have zoom vision, so, as Ivo Peters said let the train do the moving. However if you prefer one above the other, that's fine.

8. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

An interesting read as ever, thank you.
    We were it seems 5 tables from you so almost out of earshot of the expert ! although we did hear someone collar WB Tom and another steward for quite some time !
    (we bagged the litre of Whiskey but couldnt warm up with it due to the drive home)

9. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Further to my previous mutterings: I hadn't realised until reading Mr Wistle's report (and then looking at RTT) that there was a scheduled stop at Stockport. I could have made that from the London area, as surely could potential customers from many places. It wasn't advertised, was it?

andalfi1 likes this.
  10. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    I may have misled you, the Stockport stop was for operational reasons - sorry!

11. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    I knew that someone in the coach had won the BIG bottle of whisky - best drink it asap, it doesn't keep (in our house!)

Waterbuck likes this.
  12. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Indeed so, but once the schedule including that stop was established they could have made it another pickup point and filled some more seats. Obviously anyone getting on there would have had to get off somewhere else, but that would have been perfectly possible.

13. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

If this stop had been approved and publicised. my wife and I would not have cancelled. We would have been two more premier dining.