If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Buxton Spa Express - Feb 2017

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Spotter, Jan 7, 2017.

1. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I was seriously considering this until the times were revised. With the originally envisaged times it would have been possible to travel from the London area that morning to join the train at Manchester. With the revised times it's out of the question unless one spends a night away.

2. 61994

61994 Member

76084 on at heaton Norris off at Blackburn according to those timings interestingly

3. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Potentially facilitating an LE move back to Bury past its old lower Darwen base?

4. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Appreciate your post and clarification. Thank you. Really hope that you reach the magic number and everyone enjoys a great day out.

5. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Looking at the UK Steam timings, the route for this tour has now changed from the one advertised. Looks more like the cancelled 4th February

6. 26D_M

The unassisted climb up Platting bank with the Jub should be spectacular and wake a few folk up!

7. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    It hasn't really changed beyond what was established on 8 February, as 45690 seems out of gauge for Whaley Bridge. The only difference is that 76084 joins the tour later. It is essentially an amalgam of both trips, and means that Todmorden curve and Whaley Bridge could be repackaged within a new itinerary.

8. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Marketing stated very clearly that Leander and 76084 "will run via Hazel Grove and Whaley Bridge, taking on some very steep climbs on our journey to Buxton."

My comment was just an observation that the route had changed. The bigger victory is that the tour is running. The discounts must have worked.

9. 26D_M

The other benefit of this communication is that it gives a lie to the tedious bleating from the usual suspects that constructive criticism results in the likes of Nigel retreating from engagement with the forum. Seems obvious that he would rather hear genuine and sincere perceptions than have smoke blown up his jacksie.

alastair, mike1522 and Dobbs0054 like this.
  10. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between constructive criticism and slagging off, something that some people don't seem to be able to differentiate between on here.

So the what you call tedious bleating by some is most probably referring to the negativity his posts and company often receive.

Dave B

11. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    It also gives a lie to the tedious and continuous bleating from the other side of the argument that suggests that no one at RTC takes any notice. So win all round methinks.

Dobbs0054 and 26D_M like this.
  12. 26D_M

Wholeheartedly agree which is precisely why there has always been merit in folk sharing their perceptions and offering suggested improvements, despite what the self appointed defence brigade try to enforce. Totally agree too there is no place for destructive or personalised comments.

13. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I don't consider myself a member of the self-appointed defence brigade. I just reserve the right to enjoy steam on Network Rail in whatever form I can get. Whilst, like many, I'd prefer steam only trips, I'm also not too hung up about it when it isn't. This is essentially the fundamental difference between myself and others on here.

RalphW and Waterbuck like this.
  14. 26D_M

Again we concur. The use of diesels is often unavoidable and an operational necessity, I am a realist. Equally if I were a loco owner and I thought my engine would be overloaded I would want an assisting loco.
    The matter I feel strongly about is everybody should be able to make an informed choice about their purchase without having to do too much research to find out whether or not their expectations are likely to be met. If some important detail is not made apparent when there is scope to do so it is quite unfair. So when circumstances demand as mentioned above, this ought to be explicitly declared at the point of purchase or brought to the buyers attention if arising subsequently.
    You are an above averagely informed person but the majority of customers are not.

15. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

It would be interesting to understand what the uptake on seats was after @meltonnorth made it clear that the tour would be pure steam allied to the impact of discounting. This was a positive move by RTC giving clarity, a few bob back whilst also supporting the loco owners. If it filled well after the disclosure of pure steam then maybe it will impact on future planning. All in all a positive move. The tour runs and happy faces all round.

railrover likes this.
  16. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Looks a goer, Tickets have arrived !

17. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

Would be great if we could have this sort of gen for all tours. Have stopped booking RTC trips because of high prospect of shoveage, but if you can confirm the steam sections are planned to be 100% steam I will start booking again.
    Sorry, too late for this tour though.

Dobbs0054 likes this.
  18. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Times on tickets are as shown on RTT. Load shown as 8 - then there will be the kitchen car and I guess 1 POB. So 10 for Leander, single handed, from standing up Miles Platting - that should wake the residents.

19. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Just got Email from RTC with Last Minute Discount Offer of £20 per ticket in any class using code BSL.

20. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It's such a pity that the Buxton Tin Bath misses out the key bits from the cancelled Feb 4th otherwise it would be attractive. It also is really quite a tricky one to get to from down south with the timings shown.