If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR Broadway Developments

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Breva, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    No. That area is currently used only for works vehicles and for storage of ballast etc. However, IIRC, it is this parcel of land which could be used as a Broadway Stn car park in future. Until then, I will use Toddington Stn car park or the Childswickham Road one.

2. Gloucester Boy

Gloucester Boy New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    As far as I am aware, the planning application for the building of the station, signalbox etc, did not include an application for car parking. Here is a link to the original application and approval and there is a letter from Highways mentioning a possible separate application for the car park. Link: https://plan.wychavon.gov.uk/plandisp.aspx?recno=43635

I believe the local council were interested in looking to provide the parking, but the cost of building the car park, (I heard a figure of £800,000 mentioned to provide something like 100 spaces and also coach parking) put paid to that idea. I suspect that due to the remodeling of the embankment now, the original plan drawn up, would need to be changed and re-costed. However, as we don't have sufficient capital to complete the station building etc, it's unlikely that we will be able to provide parking at Broadway for some time.

At the moment, we will be providing a pull in for a coach and some disabled parking on station drive.

As someone mentioned there is a car park off Childswickham Road, one of our volunteers lives just by this and walks to our site each Wednesday (unless I see him and pick him up!). I suspect (but don't know) that we will advertise that there is no parking at Broadway when the service starts.

3. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Oh dear!

PH

alexgale and michaelh like this.
  4. AndyY

AndyY Member

As I asked a few posts ago, but no reply - Would the council actually prohibit use of the land 'as is', or is the ground too boggy anyway without some civil engineering? (I was meaning the land at the foot of the soil-nailed embankment).

Maybe OK for 'ad hoc' parking in dry weather?

Andy

5. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

The discussions with the council have been at high level, so we can't answer that sort of question at the moment I'm afraid. Cost is a big factor.
    As part of the soil nailing excercise the surface of that strip of land was levelled using big equipment. There were large piles of clay, concrete and the remains of the bridge works at the Mythe in Tewksbury. All that is now level, which is the good news.
    However, it's not got a suitable surface, and a lot of ancillary work would need to be done to use it as a car park. What exactly is up to the planning authority. The surface at the moment is not suitable for parking, not even for volunteers. I know this, because I nearly got stuck in it, and left with a 3 inch jacket of mud round my wheels :(

IMG_3467.JPG

This was some of the levelling activity in July, with the Childswickham Road in the foreground. It's the widest part of that strip of land, no doubt left over after the GWR bought the field, and laid a railway line along one side of it.

Kinghambranch likes this.
  6. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

Another big milestone today: the first drops of new ballast between the platforms! Sleepers and rails not too far off now!!

Noel

Kinghambranch, TommyD and 30854 like this.
  7. Gloucester Boy

Gloucester Boy New Member

Asked my fellow volunteer how long it takes to walk from his house, which is further from the station site to the car park mentioned, he said its about a 10 minute leisurely walk.

8. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

It's our old friend Customer Care again. This is not Customer Care.

PH

9. Bill Drewett

Bill Drewett Member

You seem to be suggesting that if the GWSR cared more about the customer, they would provide ample car parking close to the station from day one. They have the resources and opportunity, they just lack the motive. Is that what you're saying?

10. AndyY

AndyY Member

That's an idea, spend all the money on tarmac and just put a bus-shelter on the platform.................

11. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

It boils down to "Let them eat cake!" But in a far more miserable way....

Bill Drewett likes this.
  12. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Is Broadway looked upon primarily as a destination or as a starting point?

13. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I suspect it will be a bit of both. Easier start for those coming from the Brum area and a destination for those having a day out from Gloucester/Bristol area. Both will combine a trip on the railway with a visit to Broadway, neither of which warrants a full day out. Will Toddington become more of a backwater as a result?

14. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired

It's not necessarily an easier start from the Brum area - Toddington is more accessible from the M5. However, it's likely to be an add on to all the other local attractions - Bourton on the Water, Chipping Campden, Stow on the Wold, Adam's Farm, the Lavender Place, Snowshill Manor etc.

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  15. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I think it makes more sense marketed as a destination especially given the parking situation and existing facilities at other stations such as extensive car parking.

16. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

How much parking is there for the railway's visitors at Cheltenham Racecourse station? Unless there is significant parking there (and easy motorway access) I can see a significant number of people choosing to start at Toddington and just doing a Toddington - Broadway return, with time (and secondary spend) off the railway in the village. I suspect the Toddington - Broadway return ticket will have to be priced significantly close to a full day rover to avoid that, or at least ensure that the majority of passengers still pay close to a full fare, regardless of the actual journey they undertake.

Tom

17. AndyY

AndyY Member

It will make reconnection to Honeybourne even more vital! But to be fair I can't see that happening for a decade at least...............

Kinghambranch likes this.
  18. Kinghambranch

Retired
    The short answer to the perceived and real Broadway "Parking Problem" is mainly geographical, or even topographical. Broadway never had a large yard (Toddington's is large because it was also the site of a navvies' camp) and the relatively small sloping Broadway goods yard was sold off, before the GWSR came into existence, to the Caravan Club (and very popular it is too if you like caravanning and I don't) so we all knew back in the early days that parking would always be an issue at Broadway because there simply isn't the geographical space available for a large one. (One can buy land of course but we're talking Cotswolds here) There is a strip of land on one side, between the 2 bridges (Station Rd & Childswickam Road) as illustrated a few posts ago by Breva and this may well be used in the future when the Railway can afford to carry out the necessary works. Until then, Childswickham Road car park is probably the best bet. However, as I have said before, I'll probably use Toddington when I visit. It's interesting is it not, that successive governments urge us to abandon our cars and walk and cycle more. Perhaps some of the railway enthusiasts and members of the general public I've seen at heritage railways are too reliant on their cars and have forgotten how to walk. Some of them are certainly on the large (and smelly) size! The issue of disabled visitors is another matter entirely and one that the GWSR is doing its best to mitigate in favour of disabled visitors, quite rightly.

I'm far more worried about whether Ben Stokes will make the England Team to Oz at the moment though.

19. Kinghambranch

Retired
    Make that 30 years at least.......

20. Kinghambranch

Retired
    Loads, it's a racecourse.