If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Brighton Belle update

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by 73129, Jan 1, 2013.

1. SomewhereintheSouthEast

SomewhereintheSouthEast New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I remember once seeing a video on YouTube of an old scrap train from Ashford heading up to where they doing the restoration work. I think they were going to use bits of it for the project like the engines and the bogies that sort of thing.

2. martin1656

martin1656 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    yes that is correct the 5 belle unit is using the bogies and motors of the 4 vop units from ashford the idea is that the use of 400 type traction motors and bogies will give a better ride and enable the unit to have a higher top speed 90 as oppossed to 80 and a few units including some 4 cigs, have been stripped to provide spares

CH 19 likes this.
  3. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I see the last update to the news page has been revised, looks like they've pushed back testing and passenger service to late 2017/spring 2018 respectively.

http://www.brightonbelle.com/news

Re-scheduling of the restoration project's work programme will see the all-important mainline running tests being carried out in the final quarter of the year. This should allow the train's entry into passenger-carrying service by Spring 2018.

nine elms fan likes this.
  4. nick813

nick813 Active Member Loco Owner

copied from Facebook:

"
    Our hopes to see the Brighton Belle returned to the mainline in the same year as the Flying Scotsman were not to be. After a frustrating year be-set by problems... with the complex re-wiring of the motor thirds and resource constraints, the Trust reluctantly took the decision to leave its home at Barrow Hill, a process which cost almost six months of productive activity.

The Trust has paid fulsome tribute to the ground-breaking work carried out by Rampart Engineering. “They were able to achieve what everyone said was impossible and Paul Ramsden should be rightly proud to have created a national centre of excellence for heritage railway restoration at Barrow Hill. Our main problem with hitting our stretching targets has been one of capacity – the ability to work on at least four cars at the same time.”

The new home for the project is at W H Davis at Rotherham, where all of the Belle cars now sit in a vast building akin to an aircraft hangar, with all components and spares sat adjacent to each car in racked out shipping containers. The project has suddenly moved up a gear by virtue of the massive space available, finally allowing the application of lean manufacturing techniques to the project with all the assets to hand instead of being stored at multiple locations throughout the Chesterfield area. A game changer…

The professionalism of the W H Davis management team has allowed an excellent working relationship to be quickly established and the team has access to a large in-house engineering resource to accelerate completion of the project. Problems with the complex wiring systems apart, this final phase is essentially a production line; all of the engineering challenges have been fully resolved and the conditions set by the Rail Regulator are being met.

After re-launching a four car Belle unit, the speed of the completion of final two cars will be a simple product of the rate at which funding can be pulled in. The Trust is crossing its fingers that, with a tail wind, mainline testing might be completed by the end of the year, but getting it right is more important than doing it quickly - we'll keep you posted on progress."

Shaggy, nanstallon, GSN and 5 others like this.
  5. SilentHunter86

SilentHunter86 Member

I look forward to having a ride on this myself. Very worth project.

6. MellishR

MellishR Well-Known Member Friend

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand a ride in the restored train would be good. On the other, two years ago I sent them an email, pointing out that there was some seriously out of date information on their website and enquiring whether some technical information was available. I got a snotty response.