If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bridge that Gap: Great Central Railway News

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Gav106, May 8, 2010.

1. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    They would, and it is noticeable as an FoGCML member that the quality of information as opposed to marketing has faded in recent years for whatever reason.

2. J Rob't Harrison

J Rob't Harrison Member

Absolutely so. Considering the magnitude of the project and what it will ultimately deliver, I would have thought/ hoped that the Railway would be almost shouting from the rooftops in announcing progress and keeping the project in the public eye. (Speaking here as somebody who donates on a monthly basis to the bridge appeal).

The Dainton Banker and Black Jim like this.
  3. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Absolutely, it's widely accepted on the GWSR that our blogs are one of our most important assets in terms of fundraising support. Whilst a webcam may be asking a bit too much, it's very easy indeed to set up a blog and pop some pictures up to show folk what's happening. If people see how their money is being spent and actual progress is being made, they'll be more inclined to donate more.

4. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

Not only that, it will help bring in first-time donors; those who haven't donated before.

Noel

5. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    I have to say its one of the most common failures of the preservation movement in keeping everyone not only informed but involved using the internet. Some have taken to the challenge and are reaping the benefits (e.g. GWSR) some have had supporters sites that appear to rub along through but I do get the impression that they are 'put up with' rather than being fully welcomed
    (eg http://www.isengard.co.uk/) and then you get the ones that say if you want any news you have to be a member - they are the worst and deserve to fail IMHO. Finally there are ones that are so out of date you do wonder why they bother with a web site at all, now I know running a website can be challenging for some but a simple link to a Facebook site which has regular updates at least say every two weeks even if it does say we are waiting for XYZ is better than saying nowt. . . . .

Martin Perry and Black Jim like this.
  6. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

So why ar'nt the GCR doing all this?

7. AndyY

AndyY Member

That is a very good question!!!

Is there anybody on here who is an active GCR volunteer, who knows the right people to ask?

Andy

8. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    No idea - is any one out there. . . . . . . .

(Ex GCR volunteer - however it was a long long long time ago 30+ years)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  9. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Most of the most successful (IMO) update blogs appear to me to be the babies of an individual involved in the project rather than an official railway tool. Perhaps there simply isn't a willing volunteer at the GCR sufficiently involved in these projects to create such a feature? If the physical works of the bridge are mainly contractors then it is presumably unlikely that many of the GCR "ground troopers" would be in a position to maintain a regular and accurate blog.

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

lil Bear likes this.
  10. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

Having been "in the area" today, I went and had a look there this morning and can confirm that there were Contractors on-site in the work compound by the location of the North Abutment. There is actually a piece in the latest Steam Railway that confirms that construction work is "imminent".

As it doesn't seem to be reported elsewhere, today saw the official (Royal) opening of the Mountsorrel & Rothley Community Heritage Centre courtesy HRH The Prince of Wales.
    Not often you see a Jinty on a Royal Train (all 1 coach of it...)
    DSC00225.JPG

The unveiling of the official plaque..........
    DSC00231.JPG

jnc, J Rob't Harrison, pmh_74 and 4 others like this.
  11. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

You're sort of right. A well-known GCR volunteer did set up a staff-only internet forum a few years ago and it is still online, but the amount of activity thereon has dropped to near-zero in the last 2 or 3 years. Ditto the Yahoo group which, last I checked, seems to be mainly used by lineside photographers now. It seems to me that people are just getting on with whatever they're getting on with at the GCR and spending less and less time updating the internet. Why, I don't really know, except to say that the line's management has been more stable in the last few years and progress (for all the fact not everyone necessarily always agrees with everything) has been generally in the right direction, so maybe people are just satisfied to let others get on with it. Against that background, who is going to set up an 'unofficial website' if we can't collectively be bothered to update existing forums?

I do agree that the 'gap' progress could be better reported. But I can't offer a solution!

12. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    NOTHING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT "BRIDGE THE GAP" IN THE LAST ISSUE(26/01) of Rail mail!!scandalous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. mikechant

mikechant Member

Don't you know that there's a national shortage of exclamation marks? Tesco haven't had any in stock since last year - and there you are throwing them around like confetti. :D

Paul Kibbey, Black Jim, Breva and 4 others like this.
  14. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

You've also used most of your yearly NatPres allowance of capital letters too.:p:)

Dave B

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  15. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for taking the time to post an update for us. I hope we can continue to receive more of these!

Noel

16. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    I'ma very generous man include money and I prefear throw sparks and smoke everywhere than confettis
    confettis are a bad fuel (except maybe for italian steam locomotives)

17. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    In Italy we eat confetti! And very nice they are too. My wife had a bit of a shock when they offered her confetti at an English wedding...

18. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    An brief article in the February issue of 'The Railway Magazine' received yesterday says that the GCR "....was just days away from signing the final documents to enable construction to begin of its bridge over the Midland Main Line....". There appear to be a number of parties involved with land transfer agreements etc to be completed first. The article goes on to say that the bridge lift, with a 1000-tonne crane "....will be performed over three consecutive weekends..." during the Summer.

19. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

Just discovered the GCR "Bridge" section of their website has been "updated" - not that it tells you a lot..........

"February 2017

Work is continuing behind the scenes on the Bridge to the Future project. Further news will be posted here very soon."

J Rob't Harrison and Ploughman like this.
  20. Black Jim

Black Jim Member