If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bridge that Gap: Great Central Railway News

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Gav106, May 8, 2010.

1. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's going to be somewhat anti-climactic travelling for Leicester, through Loughborough to...Fifty Steps Bridge

2. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    By the time the bridge and link are done the Nottingham trams may have arrived to Ruddington.

3. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

GWR Man:
    Thanks for the Google map link. I thought there was just room past the far left of the Preci Spark works, it was just not obvious from the image on the GCR website.

4. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

There's no plan for trams into Ruddington.

5. GCR567 Project

GCR567 Project New Member

The Northern terminus of the GCR is at Ruddington where the second platform is now under construction. The construction of a suitable station building will follow. The terminus is reached by a reversal at 50 Steps Junction, though there are plans and a feasibility study for the construction of a South Cord that will give direct access to Ruddington Fields station from the main line. While impetus is being focused on the construction of the link, it would be inappropriate to launch a project to construct a South Cord, but it is a development that would greatly enhance the railway allowing for the turning of locomotives at the Northern end of the railway.

6. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    What an opportunity! NET to Ruddington, tram-train on a GCR electrified at 750 volts to Leicester North then down the ramp and through the streets into the city centre.:)

7. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

Was there not a plan at one point to extend the GCR(N) into the former Ruddington station just past 50 steps?

8. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    It still doesn't seem attractive to go all the way, then have to back-up into the terminus. Kind of ruins that "heritage mainline" vibe.

9. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Could be Dorchester South :)

Tom

SpudUk likes this.
  10. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
  11. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
  12. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

http://www.tramlinknottingham.co.uk/net-phase-2/
    http://www.railway-technology.com/news/newsnottingham-tram-extension-project-in-uk-moves-forward

shows the tram extensions. It's the yellow "Clifton and Wilford" extension that will go near Ruddington. Basically the plan seems to be to use the GCML for a bit before deviating off it to the west to go and serve Clifton.

AFAIK between the point at which the tramline leaves the GCML formation and Ruddington station is a cutting, however this is a nature reserve and SSSI. "Willwell Farm Cutting Nature Reserve". I guess running trains through that or building a terminus station there might not be appreciated.

Actually Rushcliffe Halt isn't a bad place to stop, though the platforms are a bit short, as long as the GCR can come to an arrangement with British Gypsum to use the latter's car park at weekends. With a set of tea rooms it'd be quite pleasant and is only a short(ish) walk from East Leake village.

13. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    I travelled on both (but separated) sections of the preserved GCR a few years ago. I liked the 'pioneering' feel of GCR(N), including the reversal, as a contrast to the slicker southern part. It will be great when the bridge allows GCR(N) trains to use the GCR station in Loughborough, and a southern chord allowing direct access to Ruddington Fields station will give the best of both worlds.

John

14. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

If this is a shortish distance, it might be a nice walk between the two on a pleasant summer's day.

15. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    or Limerick Junction?:)

16. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

Not any more - sadly for lovers of esoterica but probably not for passengers.
    I have always thought it would make a wonderful layout full of operating interest, by my own tracklaying and chassis/stock building skills are so rudimentary the only activity would be constant derailments every time a train reverses (every train!) followed by much muttering and grumbling and the big hand from the sky appearing to try again...

17. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

But we did do a reversal at Limerick Junction last year on the Emerald Isle Explorer! :)

18. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

GCRN are cracking on well with what they've got atm, couple of points though:

Will the new P2 at rudd have a canopy over an overall roof over the pair of em? Needs it as on winter running days or in the rain it's pretty exposed & windswept.

What's the actual likelihood of them putting in a new alignment to access rudd from 50 steps? Atm run rounds are fairly complex with it being quite a tight loop & has taken up to five mins in the past, just seems like a lot of mucking about tbh.

Rushcliffe halt - When i've turned out for a normal running day with the 8F a few normals did comment that it seemed to be in need of some facilities I.E. toilets/waiting shelter etc. I know there's 1 there now but always has the shutter closed down on it for some reason, plus few folk said it'd be nice if they could stick a coach in the bay platform & use it as a cafe poss on special event days. Thoughts anyone???

East Leake - Lots of rumours doing the rounds over this, had heard there's a faint possibility of it re-opening in the future when the two sections of gcr are reconnected again. Would give them another passing loop at least & maybe a good photting vantage point for anyone linesiding or just joe public maybe?

19. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

There's not much there atm, in the longer-term if there are trains to Leicester N via Loughborough then there is space to develop a cafe along the lines of the one at Quorn or Rothley, depending on planning permissions etc and probably needing support from British Gypsum.

Running a buffet car in the platform means finding and funding a buffet car and keeping it there rather than running it in a train. Probably easier said than done. The first stage for special events might be perhaps to bring in someone who can dispense tea from the back of a road van if there is sufficient demand for tea at the location.

20. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

The plan was to go through the old Ruddington station and deviate off the original formation before the SSSI, terminating in a field with a shortish walk to the tram.
    I've seen this proposal in an official document from some years ago but whether it is feasible or likely, or even still on the agenda, I couldn't say.
    I'm inclined to say that if it was a choice between this and the south cord, I'd go for the latter.