If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

BRAKE VANS- National Network.

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by 50044 Exeter, Jan 12, 2010.

1. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION

Since we started the wagon group at the Mid-Hants over four years ago we have restored a number of privately owned vans and wagons. WE had a broad agreement that if they wished to retain ownership that would be fine as long as they made at least a large contribution to the materials. However if funds were tight then the suggestion was transfer ownership to the Society and we would do our own fund raising, either through appeals, the society or the many support groups scattered throughout the south.

On this particular vehicle they wanted to retain ownership, NOT make any financial contribution and said that they would sell it once restored.

Hardly an incentive to give our labour free of charge in this instance, meanwhile it is just sitting there rotting away and looking unsightly covered with a torn tarpaulin letting in the elements. I cannot understand the mentality of some people.

Sorry, rant over.

Regards
    Chris

2. stan the man

stan the man Member

Theres a shark in the sidings at Shenfield. Must have been there for at least 4 or 5 years now.

Jim S

3. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

I am aware of one railway which is considering a policy of disposing of (or asking owners to remove) vehicles which have no realistic hope of being restored within 10 years.

4. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    !0 years?, I would have thought that 10 months would be more realistic.However as you quite rightly say there are some vehicles that have no realistic hope of ever being restored. The problems as I see it is either finding the owners or it is political.

What do others think about this important but controversial subject ?

regards
    Chris

5. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Well, as owner of "some stuff", I can honestly see that some of my collection won't be fixed that soon, but all of it is part of a plan and some of it is actively being worked on. I know of other vehicle owners who have less time to spend on their vehicles but will write out a cheque if required.

In principle I can see sense in acquiring things for "future restoration", provided there is a plan. What is more of a problem is when people buy something and then disappear.

But if you're going to limit people to 10 months, you're going to encourage 'quick bodges' rather than doing the job properly. I don't think it's about timescales, I think it's about demonstrating commitment.

It isn't just private owners who abandon projects either... I can think of several heritage-railway-owned vehicles which have simply been dumped (in some cases for many years) when maintenance became due.

Chris, I think you forget how lucky you are on the Mid-Hants to have a dedicated team of wagon restorers and a railway which gives them the support and encouragement they need. There are plenty of railways where this is not the case (no, I'm not naming names).

Phil

6. thegrimeater

thegrimeater Member

Admin
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  7. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
  8. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Forgive me Phil as the ten months was said "tongue in cheek" as apposed to taking ten years plus, a figure of speech really.

Yes you are correct that is is not just private owners who abandon projects, and as you also say the owners and sometimes the volunteers disappear.

Wagon restoration is always the poor relation especially when funding is involved, but I do feel that Freight gives part of the whole picture as it,s not just putting bums on seats.

Regards
    Chris

9. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

10. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

They're clearly not the same design!

11. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
    Well that 23 is original to M&GN aswell as being restored. But i meant as a design as pmh has said.

12. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Indeed. they are both unique and very important.
    Steve

13. Hunslet2411

Hunslet2411 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe Technician RAF
    An interesting side thread has come up here!How long do you hold on to somthing with the 'one day maybe we will' mentality? At Rutland this was the status quo for 20 years as some members of this forum will attest too, however the best thing we ever did was to take a good look at what we had, decide what we wanted to become and proceed accordingly! Trust me its amazing the results you can accomplish and I have found among our volunteers that work rates go up as do new volunteers comming in! Its a nice feeling to say everything on site has a workable plan!

14. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

I think the RRM have done some great work on the wagons recently. The LMS Hopper's & BR Tippler's are looking good and there are some other real rarities on site too. The MetR Box van is incredibly rare as are some of the ex Industrial wagons.
    Steve

15. JB

JB Guest

16. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  17. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

18. JB

JB Guest

How about the ones from lot 1387? I can't seem to find any of them.

19. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Something special about Lot 1387?

20. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member