If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

BR Southern Region Totem - What paint do I need to restore?

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by sarandon, Sep 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. sarandon

sarandon New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    In my possession I have a Southern Region totem, 'Addlestone'. that was given to me as a boy by the station staff some 45 years ago, when they were taken down and replaced with new British Rail signs. There was a whole pile of them on the platform and I cheekily asked if I could have one, and surprisingly they gave me one!

It's in pretty good condition, but now after all this time I would like to restore it back to its original condition. Only thing is I haven't a clue on what type of paint I need, which shades (green and white), or where to buy it.

If anyone can help me with the above, or point me in the direction of someone who can, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I really would suggest that you do not make any attempt to restore it; doing so will badly affect its value. There is a lot to be said for a bit of 'patina'.

paulhitch likes this.
  3. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The totems are enamel on metal - almost like a fine glass which has been baked on - hence the sheen and the propensity to chip if hit by small objects or if dropped! So it is impossible to get an exact match by any form of paint, alas! If there are serious chips, it is best simply to protect the exposed metal to prevent further deterioration. A local museum conservation expert may be able to assist with the exact details of what to use, as I don't precisely know!

4. sarandon

sarandon New Member

I should have stated that the amount of restoration I intend to do is minimal. The majority of the enamel is in good condition with an excellent shine. I have no intention of touching these areas, however there are two small chips the size of a 1p piece that I would like to make good. Like most totems there is also a degree of rust on the edges which again I would wish to restore as best as possible. I'm not overly concerned about value as I have no intention of selling, as my totem has great sentimental value. I do note though that the majority of totems that come up for auction have been restored in some way.
    IMAG0015.jpg

60525 likes this.
  5. Mandator

Mandator Part of the furniture

Don't touch has a perfect patina of age. Lovely.

For really badly damaged Totems restoration IS fine and is best done by filling the damage with car body filler, carefully sanding smooth (without damaging the existing enamel) and then spraying the affected area with car spray paint, masking off areas not needing painting.
    After a week to let the paint harden T Cut back to blend and polish up.

There are a few car colours that match quite well if the enamel is not mottled or for the real Pro take sign to a car paint factor who will be able to mix the perfect match.